Drooping Plants - Solve This Argument PLEASE!

• Thread starter BiophysPhD
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Og_punkgenetics

Og_punkgenetics

Is this an overwatering problem or room temp problem? PLEASE read the entire post because it includes valuable context that is necessary for you to know in order to answer in a meaningful and relevant manner.
I let a fellow grower use some space in my facility so he can grow a few plants as he doesn't have the space.
His plants have been consistently droopy and even though they're growing right next to my plants, which are healthy and vibrant and problem free, his have been droopy.
I have tried to tell him that he is over watering. His plants are in 1, 3 and 5 gallon pots, he uses Promix and perlite. The room temp is 74 degrees with humidity around 40%-50%. His pH stays between 6 and 6.5. His water temp going in is around 70. I don't know what his ppm or if he measures ppm..
He is growing Bruce Banner, Galactic Runtz, Buckin Runtz and Pineapple Muffin. His plants are 4 weeks old (week 4 of veg).
He waters his plants every single day. For his 1 gallon plants, he gives them 1 gallon of water EACH, every day. 2 gallons of water for his 2 gallon plants and 4 for his 5 gallon plants. His runoff is voluminous and nonstop. He does this every single day. His drip pans are always full or over flowing (and he only dumps them if they're overflowing which is a huge peeve of mine but whatever, that's another issue.)
He also periodically sprays with neem oil.
He uses Advanced Nutrients (full Sensi line).
The plants live under a Grower's Choice pro/commercial LED at 60%. The room is on 18/6.
Now, I have a few plants of my own in the same room and living in the same conditions except I have DWCs and a 4 bucket modified hydrofall system. My plants are growing incident and problem free. Same lights, same temp, same humidity, circulation and ventilation, photoperiod, photo intensity, density,, etc.. No CO2 in that room.
I am using GH (grow, micro, bloom program) with hygrozyme, Mammoth, HyShield, Drip Guard.
I have told him for weeks now, that he is overwatering the absolute balls out of his plants but he is dead set on blaming the room temperature. He wants it above 78 and is claiming that because the room isn't above 78, that's why his plants are droopy ... not because he's overwatering.
He doesn't think that his drip pans overflowing, the 100% runoff, the non-stop river of water that runs off his pots 24 hours a day is an issue. He says it's the temp - despite the fact that I have plants RIGHT NEXT TO HIS, that are perfectly fine.
Could you please look at the photos and let me know if you agree or disagree with my overwatering diagnosis - based on the pictures and the information above, do you think his plants are drooping becauseofthe room temp or because he is over watering? Please feel free to ask for more information if you need it.
I am including the photos of his plants, and a few of mine for comparison. I have labeled mine, "MY - HYDRO" and his as "HIS - SOIL."
Thank you for your insight!
The only way that I would agree that it's the temp was if my plants, which are perfectly perky, weren't right next to his plants in the same exact room, 1 foot away.
What's aggravating me is that I literally have a master's degree, am pursuing a PhD and have been growing for almost 20 years and have spelled all of this out for him but he is insistent that the ONLY issue is the temp. Again, a ludacris statement because I have healthy perky plants right next to his. He ALSO has plants in another room where the temp is higher and they're still drooping to the ground.
The reason I am here is to amass answers from across the globe from fellow growers of all different experience levels, that support the over watering diagnosis and I can tell him to shut up. I don't know why he isn't listening to me. But perhaps when I show him all of your replies, he'll finally get it.
He is most definitely overwatering

mancorn

mancorn

Quite a presentation. Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode when George builds the diorama to explain the sounds he recorded on the running tape recorder in his brief case. Probably easier just to make a poll so we can all vote 100-1 that your buddy knows dick.

Dosifry

Dosifry

So his blaming the temp because it needs to be 4 degrees higher from 74 to 78 is wishful thinking lol! CLEARLY, positively, he’s way overwatering. Even in coco I’ve never heard of your daily watering equaling the volume of the container. I sincerely hope you have gotten through to him and his plants are doing better. All he’s got to do is listen to you. Effortless on his part lol!! At least your plants are rocking. Nice light too. Good luck!

J

Jaydee86

I'm having similar issues, I'm growing with 2x Mars hydro ts 3000 in a 8x4 tent.
To me it looks like overwatering but it's not because I pulled some out into pots and left the rest in nft trays.
What I'm thinking now is that the transpiration rates under led lights is much different from hps because of the infrared spectrum and heat.
So if the water has nowhere to go once it gets sucked up through the roots then the plant would be like drowning/overwatering?.
Let me know if this makes sense and if you ever found a solution to the problem.
Thanks 👍

Latest posts

Top Bottom