Drowning Seeds during Germ.

• Thread starter LoganatorDude
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
LoganatorDude

LoganatorDude

Forgive me if this has already been discussed or if this is in the wrong place.
I have recently started germinating a few feminized seeds via paper towel method. I could have been more aware of what I was doing but two days later I checked the paper towel which was inside a zip lock bag on a heat mat (78*F), and I found that inside the zip lock, the paper towel was completely soaked! The seeds have opened up and I can see the little white tap root ready to grow out. However, they were in this over saturated paper towel for a little more than 2 days. No dark spots or signs of rot on the roots, except one of the rootlet has a tiny brown spot on the side, the rest is white and overall healthy looking. The brown spot is small and very subtle, but it is there if I really look at it.
What do you guys think? Has the seed drowned? Even though the rootlet hasn’t grown out at all, it’s still visible, barely hanging out the crack of its shell. I didn’t wait for the root to reach 1/4 inch, I just planted it straight into vermiculite so it can breath and stay moist without drowning. Besides the tiny subtle brown smudge mark on the side of the root, it looks healthy and white. My concern is that signs of rot/ drowned seed haven’t shown up yet.
am I just over thinking/ worrying? Is it obvious once the seed has drowned? Still hope? I will find out soon, but I had purchased feminized Panama Red seeds, so I can’t help but fear the worst. Any helpful knowledge or advice would be greatly appreciated! Actually, I’ll upload a pic of the seed I am concerned about.

Drowning seeds during germ
Minitiger

Minitiger

I think you’ll be okay. You’ll just have to wait and see. I like to plant my seeds directly into the dirt and let them do their thing, usually I get 100% germination rates. I see you’re growing in vermiculite, not sure if you can just plant a seed in there (I’ve only ever grown in soil), but if you can, I’d skip the paper towel method next time and plant directly in your medium.

Worrying’s okay, we all do it, but I’ve always found it best to try to not pay too much attention to the plants until I’ve started flowering them, just because when I’m checking on them every other hour, it seems like everything’s taking forever. But if I really only check them out every other day, when I water, it seems like they’re growing much faster. Plus, I think plants, even little tiny seedlings, can pick up on our energy. If you’re stressed, the plants will be, too.

LoganatorDude

LoganatorDude

I think you’ll be okay. You’ll just have to wait and see. I like to plant my seeds directly into the dirt and let them do their thing, usually I get 100% germination rates. I see you’re growing in vermiculite, not sure if you can just plant a seed in there (I’ve only ever grown in soil), but if you can, I’d skip the paper towel method next time and plant directly in your medium.

Worrying’s okay, we all do it, but I’ve always found it best to try to not pay too much attention to the plants until I’ve started flowering them, just because when I’m checking on them every other hour, it seems like everything’s taking forever. But if I really only check them out every other day, when I water, it seems like they’re growing much faster. Plus, I think plants, even little tiny seedlings, can pick up on our energy. If you’re stressed, the plants will be, too.
Thanks for the response, your absolutely right about the worrying bit. I’ll post an update if it sprouts or what the results are, but as of now it’s in the vermiculite medium, fingers crossed, positive energy! I’ve got it over a heat mat with an extra control temperature gage on the top.

13EFBC6F 2699 4A06 84AB 7EC4DB73E3D7
SPARECHANGE

SPARECHANGE

typically human household temps
r fine
got the mat
never use it
no problems
I've had pm in cloner
from obviously, too moist rh
probably a filpped collar, or something
i tend to neglect the cloner nutes, after i set it up
soon as they hit the bigtop
as contagious as it can b
the rh is right
guard in the mix
things right themselves, until i screw up something else so at this stage
we tend to use whatever guard/zyme and anything i had goin on... lil fibers on the tails/whatever... they've righted themselves, unless i already had a pm issue, in mass production, which at that time
would've been a closet with horrible airflow
I'm tangenting
I'm out
sorry i couldn't b more helpful

you'll get the phonebook for germination techniques
i go straight into shot glass typically ph'd ro
i c most people
using the method u did
with great success
i get 100% pop
myElf
it's the seedlings i kill