Dry aquarium nutrients used in marijuana hydroponics?

• Thread starter hygrocybe
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
hygrocybe

hygrocybe

So I have large amounts of these nutrients for my planted aquariums:

Monopotassium phosphate (MKP) KH2PO4
Potassium sulfate K2SO4
Potassium nitrate KNO3

Plantex CSM+B:
Total magnesium(water soluble chelated mg) 1.5%
Copper(chelated) 0.1%
Iron(chelated) 7.0%
Manganese(chelated) 2.0%
Molybdenum. 0.06%
Zinc(chelated) 0.40%
Boron 0.8%
EDTA – minimum content 65.4%

I already have everything I need for the vegetative stages but I was wondering...

-Since most commercial flowering nutrients are just MKP, would I be able to just use what I already have without needing to buy any?

-Would I be able to use the Plantex CSM+B for trace nutrients?

-If I can use the nutrients I have, would they be enough alone? (I have a source for nitrogen that i will be using)

-Would i still need CalMag or will rainwater have enough?

-If the nutrients I have will be enough, what would be the dosages?

Since I have very large amounts of these nutrients I would like to use them any way I can, even if it means needing to buy other dry ferts to suppliment them.
I will be doing a simple 1 plant ebb and flow grow, using 3 gallons in the reservoir.

I've done alot of research on this and I have seen this question asked before but have very vague answers. I'm hoping someone here will be familiar with CSM+B and MKP and know what I would need to suppliment them with and how much to use per gallon.
Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Most nutes already have but yes csm+B works for micros.

It's just going to be balancing the macros... prob need a few more sources of nitrogen or you will have to much potassium

hygrocybe

hygrocybe

Awesome I was hoping CSM+B would work I have a ton of it. I have a good source for Nitrogen so I will add that with the MPK and try to find a balance. Any ideas on dosages per gallon?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Awesome I was hoping CSM+B would work I have a ton of it. I have a good source for Nitrogen so I will add that with the MPK and try to find a balance. Any ideas on dosages per gallon?
I would suggest hydrobuddy. Download and tinker with that. It's all dependent on your sources and I haven't mixed my own in years now.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

I hope you have a periodic table handy!

There are a few things you'll need to know:

1. Are the first three nutrients dry or liquid? If liquid, what concentration? If solid, I guess we'll assume they're pure or close enough to pure.

2. What is your goal N-P2O5-K2O ratio?

I would start by trying to meet the N needs with the KNO3 and see how much K that provides. Then I'd satisfy the P needs with the MKP, then see if the total amount of K is where you want it. If it's low, you add K2SO4 to fill out the K needs. If it's high, you either live with it or adjust the ratio to something achievable.

I'll have to dig up ancient notes to give you the arithmetic, which isn't going to happen at this moment.

Last edited:
hygrocybe

hygrocybe

@MIMedGrower Would I be able to improvise for calcium with something like egg shells? I was planning on getting magnesium from epsom salts if the CSM+B wont be enough.
Any suggestions on what I should use as a source of calcium if I do have to buy something?

@mysticepipedon I dont really have a target NPK in mind, pretty much anything that will work for flowering works for me. 1-3-1 or something. just a bit of N and K with a nice amount of P.

This grow is gonna be completely experimental and grown in a homemade ebb and flow system entirely made from recycled aquarium parts. It will be a fun experiment to see how this plant does compared to my 3 soil control plants I will also be growing. If anyone is curious and wants to give me some pointers on my homemade system lmk and I will post a new thread with some pics.

I suspect im going to have to buy some calcium nitrate. The KNO3 simply isnt enough nitrogen and I will be needing a source of calcium.

Last edited:
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

@MIMedGrower Would I be able to improvise for calcium with something like egg shells? I was planning on getting magnesium from epsom salts if the CSM+B wont be enough.
Any suggestions on what I should use as a source of calcium if I do have to buy something?

@mysticepipedon I dont really have a target NPK in mind, pretty much anything that will work for flowering works for me. 1-3-1 or something. just a bit of N and K with a nice amount of P.

This grow is gonna be completely experimental and grown in a homemade ebb and flow system entirely made from recycled aquarium parts. It will be a fun experiment to see how this plant does compared to my 3 soil control plants I will also be growing. If anyone is curious and wants to give me some pointers on my homemade system lmk and I will post a new thread with some pics.

I suspect im going to have to buy some calcium nitrate. The KNO3 simply isnt enough nitrogen and I will be needing a source of calcium.

for hydro I think you will need cal nit like you said. In a peat mix you could add lime or oyster shell. I don’t have experience with this. I just noticed you needed calcium. Calcium is used by the plant as much as a macro nutrient. I have seen now adding silica has benefits and according to recent published tissue samples is used as much as calcium if available.

hygrocybe

hygrocybe

@mysticepipedon Oh I forgot to mention the ferts I have are all dry salts.

I went ahead and ordered a bag of Calcium nitrate and I will be grabbing a bag of epsom salts tomorrow. Thanks guys for the feedback.

Latest posts

Top Bottom