Dry tent and environment issues.

• Thread starter MyGrowTent
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

MyGrowTent

Hello, I live in a very hot and dry climate. I'm having issues drying my harvest and it's affecting the smell and taste negatively. I bought a 3x3x6 tent as a dry room and installed a humidifier to control humidity, however temps were still 80+ and killing the quality of my buds. A buddy gave me a window AC unit and I cut a hole and installed it in the side of my tent. I then made a baffle to direct the hot air out the back of the AC through a 4" exhaust vent to the outside. My tent now stays at 64-67 degrees and 50-62 RH.

My question is... should I vent the inside of the tent too? If I vent the inside of the tent my temps rise and humidity drops and and the fluctuation makes it impossible to regulate with any precision and they often end up outside the recommended norms. However, I'm worried about creating a paradise for mold spores if the the air inside is not being recirculated with fresh air from outside. I open the tent a few times a day to allow it to breathe but I'm still worried about it.

What would you do?

Ponky

Ponky

I'd air condition the air in the room the tent is in. instead of the tent itself.

M

MyGrowTent

I'd air condition the air in the room the tent is in. instead of the tent itself.
Not possible. The room is too large and the AC is too small it would never get the room below 75, if that. Also the AC does not fit in the window so even though I have the heat vented out the window the hot side and cold side of the AC would be sitting in the same room which would not be practical.

I guess my only choice is to keep it sealed and keep an eye out for mold. Maybe I could lower the humidity down to 45-55 percent? Would that be too dry?

Ponky

Ponky

You gotta do what you can. I'd say the most important thing is not having it dry too fast. You want it to take at least 5 or 6 days before you bag and sweat it. Keep the temps under 70 if you can. Don't let it dry too quick or you get a bad taste.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Not possible. The room is too large and the AC is too small it would never get the room below 75, if that. Also the AC does not fit in the window so even though I have the heat vented out the window the hot side and cold side of the AC would be sitting in the same room which would not be practical.

I guess my only choice is to keep it sealed and keep an eye out for mold. Maybe I could lower the humidity down to 45-55 percent? Would that be too dry?
If it dries too fast you can add a fresh leaf or 2 to your jars and it will re-hydrate the pot. I like you have no access to a colder environment when it gets hot here but my main concern is always mold. If it dries too fast so be it, I'd rather have it dry too fast than too slow. I built a small drying box with a computer fan pulling in cooler air but the cooler air brings in 100% humidity now so that's fked too at this time of year. I really try not to harvest through this time but shit happens and I have 2 plants ready to chop next week....they'll probably be dry in 4 -5 days from chop....it is what it is and I'll be smoking it regardless..

Latest posts

Top Bottom