Drying And Curing

• Thread starter JayJr814
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
JayJr814

JayJr814

does anyone know of a fool proof method for drying and curing flowers? I mess up on this part every time and end up with hay smelling unappealing flowers with no taste.. HELP!

SeaF0ur

SeaF0ur

I recommend the calibur 4

http://www.neptunecigar.com/pr/caliber_iv_thermometer_hygrometer.aspx

IMG 20150220 101939

H

happy b

does anyone know of a fool proof method for drying and curing flowers? I mess up on this part every time and end up with hay smelling unappealing flowers with no taste.. HELP!
My advice is...listen to everything seafour tells you.i dont think theres another member out there who knows more about producing the highest of high quality weed than he does.

H

happy b

I'm sure there are plenty of folk who know more than I do in lots of different areas...
but I do know enough to be dangerous... lol
That you do my friend, that you do.and if there is members who know more, especially about resin,there arnt many of em and they couldnt know that much more.id take tips off you all day long bud.im not trying to inflate your ego,im just stating the truth.
im planning on making one of your wee male isolation chambers.but iv been saying im gonni do it for ages and iv not even made any attempt to order the materials.lol.

JayJr814

JayJr814

Awesome thanks, with that being said it leads me to my next question. Do you have any tips or advice on how to completely control the humidity in 10x12 bedroom? The house has central air and we do have a stand up dehumidifier the room has 2 windows but I know you want to keep the room dark to burn off chlorophyll so will probably be shut and blacked out so no light gets in or we have access to an attic and also a basement, only problem with the attic is its not finished yet so it fluctuates with the temp outside the basement is kinda damp and I don't want to risk running into mold.. Any ideas on a easy way to set the room up to be controlled and constant?

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

I'm not here to argue, but just to share my experience. I tried Boveda's and had some pretty poor results with them. I think the 62's are a bit too high for curing.

To me..while humidity plays a big role in things, so does temps. If you like to drop your temps for a SLOW dry, make sure you get the humidity down. Personally I prefer to keep my Temps right around 73 and rh at about 60 for drying.

For curing, I have gone back to what I was initially taught. I brown bag things for a couple of days, then things go into a turkey bag or a jar and get burped for an hour each day.

S

SHIRDABZALOT

I chop my plants whole and hang dry for 6-7 days at 68 degrees and 60% rh. I believe this to be imperative as the chlorophyll "gasses" off through the stomata in the larger leaves. (Thats why wet trimmed weed is more harsh) I then buck up and deleaf each plant and lay them in food grade plastic tubs, toss in a couple boveda packs in each tub and trim at my leisure. I then store product in Turkey bags , I don't like jars it makes the weed have a slight "fermented" smell to me after a couple weeks. Turkey bags rolled up keeps and preserves the meds and terps better in my opinion. I also throw in a boveda in the bags. Used to be all about the jars, now I have a buncha empty jars. I never keep more than a half in each bag and I roll up the bag not twist it tight as to squish the buds. Jars seem to compact the buds more over time making the product less aesthetically pleasing. That's my tek, and I am a picky mofo with OCD and a mean case of perfectionism lol. To each his own.

DrFever

DrFever

Drying and curing Well Slow dry is Key RH 60 - 65 with good air movement temps 55 - 60 placed on screens in dark place for 5 days then all placed into a garbage bag all air pressed out twist top and let sit for 6 - 8 hrs to sweat out what evers left in the buds , back on screens 8 - 10 hrs later there ready for half pound bags burp once a day and get it unloaded :)
Picture 473
DSCF3933

Mr.X

Mr.X

As far as aroma and flavor go, i believe its all in the curing process my man. I hang dry for 7 sometimes up to 10 even 12. Dont freak out if your buds SEEM crunchy and over dry, once you start curing the moisture inside will get drawn out. Mason jars are fine; depending on how much medz you have. Those plastic storage binz are where its at for larger quantities. Place the manicured budz gently inside and place the lid on tightly. Leave for 24 hrs and after that burp for 1hr everyday for at least 10-15 days minimum. Move them around gently as to knock the crystals off. Your buds should come out a golden hue because all the clorophyl is gone and the aroma will be somewhat like fermented grapes, woody. "Dependant on strain". Best of luck.

ghettogrower

ghettogrower

Genetics play a huge role when it comes down to flavour and smell I've grown many a seed where a long cure does nothing for the taste and smell at all...some.good advice on here regarding the cure tho

H

happy b

True ghetto fella.the genetics have gotta have the potential.
i dont do anything fancey.i trim em up while wet then cut the branches into similar sized peices and hand em in a room were the curtains are closed and if its warm with windows open and no heating on.i try to get them to dry over 2 weeks.i try to keep them moist if theyr drying too fast.i find a slow dry is essential to getting maximum flavor.
your trying to keep the bud slightly moist while the stem snaps in the middle.its not as simple as stick it up to dry for a week and then stick it in a jar.
you may have to "sweat" the buds by putting em in an airtight cointainer until the moisture in the centre of the nug evens out throughout the bud if theyr getting too dry and crispy on the outside.
then once dried properly put them in your chosen container to cure.open the container once a week to let the air get refreshed in the container.
this is just what i do.no fancey gadgets or dehumidifiers.
i only have small grows so it may be different for bigger grows but the principal behind the drying remains the same.

ghettogrower

ghettogrower

Yeh man curing takes as much practice as growing really...u can spoil good weed from a poor cure..like someone else says I hang the plant as whole as I can with all the fans off wait till stalks snap but not properly then trim and put in paper bags scrunch the ends up and let them sweat rotate the bags and air them out as needed then after that's all done I'll bag it up for a further sweat and cure before the jars...like u say it's give and take depending on weather bud size all that jazz ....u can turn not the best weed into an alright smoke with a good cure but nothing beats tip genetics IMO

Calixylon

Calixylon

Yea if your growing from seed, i think that the pheno hunt is most important. If a plant has no good stem rub smell, and has flowers that dont smell stongly in flowering, then no amount of cure will magically make terpenes and flavanoids appear in your buds.

Ive always just removed all the fan leaves off the plant ucually before i cut anything down, all these leaves get burnt or composted, not much of anything, if someone has something good to do with these let me know, possibly juicing raw cannabis?

Then i break the plant into V shaped branches so they can be hung on a line in bewtween the V. Also put like size buds near each other. Before you hang them up, i do a quick trim of all major fan leaves without visible triches, there should be quite alot of sugar leaf on the buds, but anything that i wouldnt use in bubble bags or for edibles i remove, then hang your buds until the stems sort of crack, and those sugar leaves left on easily crack and break off with a light squeeze. This should take around 7-10 days a little more but if its any less, youve ruined it.

To me this is the most important step, if you dont keep the RH around 55% while the buds dry, they dry to quick, and that means the chlorophyll is forever going to dominate the taste and flavor of those buds.

After there crispy, i trim off all the sugar leaves and jar them up in small mason jars, whihc they are then opened and given some air exchange for a week or so. One more thing, i live in New England whihc is humid as shit, it helps slow down the process, if you live in an area thats dry, this will be different. I lived in Bend OR whihc was a high desert, if you didnt run a humidifier during your entire grow from veg-thru harvest-dry/cure, your buds would dry way to fast. Where do you live?

Top Bottom