DRYING TEMPS ?

• Thread starter ZONER
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ZONER

ZONER

Afternoon Folks,
I've read post regarding RH, but what temperature is as close to optimum when drying? Also is it wise to use a small fan to move the air around in the area the plants are hanging?

PaperStreet

PaperStreet

Yea i heard 70-75 as well.
And id say yes use the small fan long as u can keep the rooms humidity close to 65% u dlnt wanna extract all the humidity or they will dry bone dry just like u dont want to lock them in more than 65% or they will dry slow and smell like hay and mold.

Trick is really bagging them 60-65 % and locking it in with an occasional burp.

ZONER

ZONER

Thanks FreedomTrain & PaperStreet for your input, guess I could of searched the web but figured I'd just post it on the Farm and get it from the horses mouth as they say......:-)

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Afternoon Folks,
I've read post regarding RH, but what temperature is as close to optimum when drying? Also is it wise to use a small fan to move the air around in the area the plants are hanging?

In my world, the lower the better. If you can achieve drying in 40*F, GO FOR IT. Seriously. My best results are when I am able to complete drying and curing at 55*F or below (with appropriate RH values for each stage). I personally find that one you're in the 70s it dries too quickly.

I find that drying goes best at a lower temp and RH of 50%-55%, and curing is best at the lower temp and RH at 60%-65%. There are some exceptions, Northern Lights #5 was a real standout for me because she just could not be rolled or smoked at an RH of 60%, I had to drop it to just below.

bigtone10477

bigtone10477

How do you increase the rh in a 10x6 grow room? My rh is typically about 30%

FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey

i am using a 6 inch inline fan on a can filter and pumping it out of the room, it always is snapping at 5 days, and my humidity is often dropping below 50% by day 2 and a half or sometimes day 2 depending on weather outside as i am not using a dehumidifier or a humidifier…..should i just slow down the rate of those fans pulling the air with a dial that controls the speed on the fan or actually add a humidifier….i was normally shooting for temps around 69 or 70 degrees fahrenheit, but sea maiden you are suggesting i should go cooler, so cooler should help raise my humidity…..if i kept the rooms cooler and turned back the speed of the fans, would u say this is a good call….i don't normally have an oscillating fan in my dry room and i hang everything on string, two layers of string, so maybe 2 feet between bottom buds and the carpet…..should i put an oscillating fan on the ground there so it is not blowing directly on the buds or should it be blowing directly in your opinion? ironically, i have been doing my 5 day temps around 69 drying process for ten years and most of southern oregon folks applaud how my bud drys and cures out and are always asking me for advice on this in particular, but the general consensus on this forum seems to suggest i am letting my RH drop too soon and drying two days too fast….
Thank you for any feedback!

G gnome

G gnome

I use a dehumidifier and a humidifier. I use the dehumidifier as a fail safe set at 65. I set the humidifier for 60.
I also have a thermostaticly controled exaust fan set to 66 as well as a scrubber for smell and circulation.
Imo its imperative to achieve optimal conditions during the drying and curing phase. I do not make compromises. This is the culmination of a lot of work no sense in slacking at the moment of truth

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
i am using a 6 inch inline fan on a can filter and pumping it out of the room, it always is snapping at 5 days, and my humidity is often dropping below 50% by day 2 and a half or sometimes day 2 depending on weather outside as i am not using a dehumidifier or a humidifier…..should i just slow down the rate of those fans pulling the air with a dial that controls the speed on the fan or actually add a humidifier….i was normally shooting for temps around 69 or 70 degrees fahrenheit, but sea maiden you are suggesting i should go cooler, so cooler should help raise my humidity…..if i kept the rooms cooler and turned back the speed of the fans, would u say this is a good call….i don't normally have an oscillating fan in my dry room and i hang everything on string, two layers of string, so maybe 2 feet between bottom buds and the carpet…..should i put an oscillating fan on the ground there so it is not blowing directly on the buds or should it be blowing directly in your opinion? ironically, i have been doing my 5 day temps around 69 drying process for ten years and most of southern oregon folks applaud how my bud drys and cures out and are always asking me for advice on this in particular, but the general consensus on this forum seems to suggest i am letting my RH drop too soon and drying two days too fast….
Thank you for any feedback!
Yes, I think you'll be *very* pleased with the results of a cooler drying phase. But whether or not cooler=higher RH I can't say for sure since I'm not familiar with your conditions. If you've gotta use an AC to cool down I would assume that will remove some humidity still.

You could position the fan so it creates laminar flow, instead of oscillating, or you could point it towards a wall so it's hitting that directly instead of plants.

All that said, if your buds are coming out the way you like them, I cannot recommend that you change what you're doing, only suggest you try different with a small batch and perhaps compare.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
I shoot for 60 deg F and 55-60% Rh. Fan moving air around the room and as mentioned dont allow air stream to blow directly on the buds. I agree with @Seamaiden that trying to smoke buds at 60+Rh doesn't work well. So what I do next is once ready for jarring I use a humidity gauge for humidors and when Rh drops to 55% I throw a 54 % boveda pack in for the long cure.

As sea mentioned don't use a heat based vaporizer/humidifier use a cool mist.

sixstring

sixstring

I dont even know why i still try to slow down dry times but i do still dry at 70 to 72f and 30 to 40%rh but whenever i run out of weed and do a speed dry at like 78f and 25 to 30% rh my patients have always said the weed is great so idk if it even matters as much as a good curing method really.but it might be that we trim everything right off the plant to finished nugs.idk :)

blazedahaze

blazedahaze

I hang whole plant at 63-64 degrees, 55% rh, 12-14 days, bags for a couple days, trim, and then jar.. My air handler blows against a piece of plexiglass to deflect the air movement and allow the hanging plants to not get blasted by the air from the air handler.

Top Bottom