Drying Without Curing?

• Thread starter Jimster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I've grown for years and have always had good results, but a nagging question has been bothering me regarding old style buds, supposedly Hawaiian Puna Buds from around 1980. The buds were pretty smallish and looked like mini Christmas trees... each bud was elongated, roundish, and pointed at one end. Each bud nicely filled up a bong's bowl, but there were no large buds over an inch and a half, if that big. They were obviously Sativa, but totally unlike the Jamaican Sativa that was also arriving onshore, although Jamaica buds were cured and seedy, pressed into "bibles" and not small, loose green buds tha were tasty as can be. The taste was unlike just about anything that I have had since. The smokes of today are strong and robust, but the Puna Buds were light green with a strong piney taste, but more delicate.
When I grow, the buds are first mostly dried, then transferred into mason jars. They seem to develop their unique flavors and aromas during the next few weeks and usually lose the chlorophyll, with a resulting loss of a lot of green color. I'm fine with the time honored process of drying and curing, but it made me wonder about the old Puna Buds, and how they kept the lime green color and have a great taste, but still managed to get rid of the harsh, chlorophyll rich green homegrown taste. Were these buds slowly dried but not cured?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Gonna go out on a limb and say less is more. Shit was planted in fertile soil purely organic and not all the dam tinkering we do in today's grows. Not as potent but the taste was there. Organic goodness with sustainable soil. Genetics that were not fucked with for the sole purpose of yields. This coming from a hydro semi organic grower with artificial lighting.

RippedTorn

RippedTorn

Green homegrown taste?
Well that sounds like a fiber smell, not a resin smell. Cannabis grown with npk grows fiber first and foremost, Cannabis grown with sympaths produces metabolites (resins, sugars, fats, alcohols, acids)first and foremost.

But you know, microbes didn't have a fancy label for 30 years, or a government spouting facts regarding potency (thc, seriously, thats it?) so anyone wondering why today's Cannabis tastes like stale candy cigarettes at best,and gives the high of holding your breath, thats your answer.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Green homegrown taste?
Well that sounds like a fiber smell, not a resin smell. Cannabis grown with npk grows fiber first and foremost, Cannabis grown with sympaths produces metabolites (resins, sugars, fats, alcohols, acids)first and foremost.

But you know, microbes didn't have a fancy label for 30 years, or a government spouting facts regarding potency (thc, seriously, thats it?) so anyone wondering why today's Cannabis tastes like stale candy cigarettes at best,and gives the high of holding your breath, thats your answer.

No. Just not true.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Green homegrown taste?

When I mentioned the "Green Homegrown Taste", I was referring to the stuff that was grown in the 70s and 80s, when there wasn't knowledge available at your fingertips. When you take a fresh plant and simply dry it, like in a slightly warmed oven, the taste is distinct and tastes, to me and my perverted sense of taste, like Green Homegrown. I use Promix, wood ashes, and Jack's 20-20-20 fertilizer and not the stuff with nice packaging, and , while I might have a personal bias, I don't think I would consider my strains like stale candy cigarettes. The problem, in my opinion, is the genetics which has become so dilute and homogenized that newer strains are almost unrecognizable compared to 30 yr old landrace strains. Short, bushy, and frosty is the only thing that matters it seems. Try to find a pure Sativa other than Malawi, and your choices suddenly became very limited. Cannabis, like Tomatoes, are quickly heading to cash crop/big Pharma type of growth. Monsanto will try to patent some strains, and any remaining strains will be few and far between, like the Moreton Tomato. This was, and still is a very delicious strain, but it was reduced to 1 pint jar full of seeds away from oblivion because it didn't work well for the big businesses.

Top Bottom