Drying without humidity control: Should I trim early?

• Thread starter Gurtgurt
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Gurtgurt

Gurtgurt

Hello sirs,

I chopped my plants down 12 days ago right as warm weather began to onset. Early on temp & RH were great outside the tent - still much wetter in the tent to be expected from a newly cut plant. I tried to keep the RH in check by speeding the exhaust fan and leaving the tent cracked. Very little light getting into the room.

Slowly the RH in the tent lowered. But now summer is here. Temp is 68-72 F in the drying room and the atmosphere has climbed to 70-some percent daily. I do not have a dehumidifier!

The outside of the buds is not crispy. Some of the pencil-thick stems snap when bent, some still bend and crease.

It seems that the humidity of the buds will never get lower than the atmosphere. I do have some 62% boveda bags. My question is: should I go ahead and trim now and just burp the jars often? Trim and put in paper bags? Or maybe just remove branches from the main trunk to dry out more?
PXL 20220530 170316595

Thanks for your input!

Edit: I looked at the photographic evidence and the temps in the basement are still low-mid 60s, but humidity approaching 75%

Ponky

Ponky

I toss everything in a bag and sweat it. If you have stems snapping toss the weed in a jar or bag to sweat. Trim first

Gurtgurt

Gurtgurt

I just checked on the plants and should probably clarify.

The stems I'm bending aren't pencil thick; closer to a chopstick handle. The plants were verrry bushy, so when I hung them I bent the stems out this way so they weren't touching. I bend with one hand around my thumb, pretty sharp radius.

Some stems crack but are still attached. Others bend. Same with the tiny stems.

I checked some of the inner buds/leaves and they still seem soft. I'm used to drying in the winter and they get crispy.

I'm not opposed to trimming, I got nothing else to do today. Just want to be sure it's not premature.

Thanks Ponky!

Ponky

Ponky

12 days is a good amount of time. You should be able to smoke it in like 3 or 4 more days.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

I take it your home isn't air conditioned?

You might be able to drop the RH in the tent by using those products that reduce humidity in closets. Damp Rid is one of them.

They work, but you have to be careful to avoid spilling the liquid that accumulates, which I think is calcium chloride. Not dangerous, but it's a pain in the ass to clean up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom