Drying Your Plant Directly In The (soil/pot) That It Stands In.

• Thread starter rmoltis
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Hi everybody.
I have been thinking about it lately.
Is it feasible to let your plants dry out/cure without cutting them down?

I have a planned harvest today or tomorrow. And the lady has been watered last 1 week ago. She got darkness period for 26hrs as of now. I left the home pitch black when I opened the tent this morning to check on her. I lifted the pot and it feels bone dry. The plant wasn't wilted or anything.

So as she sits I can either let her sit in the dark tent to dry/cure in the pot until ready to jar up.

Or I can cut her down today/tomorrow. Doing it the way people normally do it.

I was hoping in my mind that not being cut down may allow her to keep producing right until she dies. Without the light degradation of the trichomes/resin.

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

Hi everybody.
I have been thinking about it lately.
Is it feasible to let your plants dry out/cure without cutting them down?

I have a planned harvest today or tomorrow. And the lady has been watered last 1 week ago. She got darkness period for 26hrs as of now. I left the home pitch black when I opened the tent this morning to check on her. I lifted the pot and it feels bone dry. The plant wasn't wilted or anything.

So as she sits I can either let her sit in the dark tent to dry/cure in the pot until ready to jar up.

Or I can cut her down today/tomorrow. Doing it the way people normally do it.

I was hoping in my mind that not being cut down may allow her to keep producing right until she dies. Without the light degradation of the trichomes/resin.

She won't keep producing- no water and she'll dry up. I've had outdoor that was dried this way and it was great smoke, idk about leaving them to dry in the dark, ambient humidity darkness and half-dry flowers sounds like a great way to grow mold

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
She won't keep producing- no water and she'll dry up. I've had outdoor that was dried this way and it was great smoke, idk about leaving them to dry in the dark, ambient humidity darkness and half-dry flowers sounds like a great way to grow mold

Since I'm in flower. My ventilation fan runs 24/7.

It is a day/night temp based speed controller.

When it is "night" the exhaust fan sits at idle speed. Which is set/adjusted when the controller is set up. I personally set it as low as it goes. This is because:
1.)The temp drops when lights go out followed by a humidity spike if fans were shut off.
2.) It cycles temp/humidity controlled home air keeping temps/humidity in the tent stable.
3.) Keeps the charcoal filter filtering the stank at all times.

Here is a shot of current tent temp/humidity.
1463322813918 232615051

The "outdoor" is tent temperature + humidity.
The "indoor" is home temperature + humidity.

So all of that coupled with the fact soil is almost bone dry. I doubt bud rot will be an issue.

I thought most everyone drys/cures in the dark to preserve trichomes/resin from light degradation?

I'm deciding whether or not to cut her down today. Or let her dry standing up.

Last edited:
N

noone88

I've done this by accident before and I never liked the results. It hastens the drying/curing process, which is a bad thing. I always make sure the plant has recently taken in water before I chop it down.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
so what happened?

I gave them the chop after 52hrs of darkness. My thread is in my signature. if your wondering how it ended. Harvest pics were around page 16-17.

Don't you want to: get those bitches out and hung? Get a clean room and get another cycle started again?

As far as hurrying the process is concerned. I've always had the mindset of quality over quantity.

If this concept produced a higher quality smoke. I would have had no problem waiting. I like proving to myself through experience. Concepts I can't seem to define from information sourced online, in books etc.

MendoAdome

MendoAdome

It basically comes down to how long is optimal prolonged darkness before you get diminishing results.

Haven't "dried/cured" a plant in soil yet?

MendoAdome

MendoAdome

humidity looks good, even a little low perhaps. Have you been able to get the temp any cooler?

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
humidity looks good, even a little low perhaps. Have you been able to get the temp any cooler?

I'm not worried about getting temps cooler. It already turned out very colorful and great at the end.

The diminishing light schedule gave it plenty of exposure to the cold via long nightime photoperiods. Before harvest phase

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
The lowest it got on certain days was 66°. using a low temp was never a target for me.

I used photoperiod manipulation to get my maturation results. It was 9/15 on the last week.

All the pistils were orange and plant was done when removed from the darkness phase.

I personally believe the plant uses day & nightime lengths to determine how far along the seasons are. Then matches it's maturation to those signals.

So at the end of the diminishing light schedule it thought winter was approaching with 15hr nights (which is how long the nighttime is on the shortest days of the year here.

NapalmD

NapalmD

I gave them the chop after 52hrs of darkness. My thread is in my signature. if your wondering how it ended. Harvest pics were around page 16-17.

As far as hurrying the process is concerned. I've always had the mindset of quality over quantity.

If this concept produced a higher quality smoke. I would have had no problem waiting. I like proving to myself through experience. Concepts I can't seem to define from information sourced online, in books etc.

Digging up an old thread but you don't see many talking about it, at least I can't find many posts about it so I just wanted to add my experience and what I may try next harvest, a few runs ago while tending to the canopy at about end of week 7 I came across a nug that was flopped over with the stem snapped and it was dry to the touch and sticky as all hell. May have been that way for max 5 days.
Nevertheless the bud was smokeable or ready for the jar (of course i smoked it) very dank so it got me thinking.

My last run I left a bunch of lowers on one plant I trimmed which the pot had been dried out before lights out plus a 3 day dark period. Then sat half trimmed in an open room on its stalk in that same bone dry pot for 5 more days. Those buds also had a better smell than the rest of the plant even after a proper dry and cure so my next run I'm gonna experiment.

Snap a few buds 3 days before lights out making them push out everything they have to survive under the light...leave others in the dark for 5 days, then cut the stalk at the base and leave standing upright in the scrog screen for a few more days or until dry and ready for the jar and then see what's best in the end.

Like you said, there's nothing like trying things out for yourself.
my rh is looow right now so the slower the dry the better.
I'll post results around new years.

tringrow

tringrow

Digging up an old thread but you don't see many talking about it, at least I can't find many posts about it so I just wanted to add my experience and what I may try next harvest, a few runs ago while tending to the canopy at about end of week 7 I came across a nug that was flopped over with the stem snapped and it was dry to the touch and sticky as all hell. May have been that way for max 5 days.
Nevertheless the bud was smokeable or ready for the jar (of course i smoked it) very dank so it got me thinking.

My last run I left a bunch of lowers on one plant I trimmed which the pot had been dried out before lights out plus a 3 day dark period. Then sat half trimmed in an open room on its stalk in that same bone dry pot for 5 more days. Those buds also had a better smell than the rest of the plant even after a proper dry and cure so my next run I'm gonna experiment.

Snap a few buds 3 days before lights out making them push out everything they have to survive under the light...leave others in the dark for 5 days, then cut the stalk at the base and leave standing upright in the scrog screen for a few more days or until dry and ready for the jar and then see what's best in the end.

Like you said, there's nothing like trying things out for yourself.
my rh is looow right now so the slower the dry the better.
I'll post results around new years.

What were the results of this?? I’m currently thinking to do this out of necessity and evasion.

quirk

quirk

I dry in the pot and jar when bud moisture content reaches 10-15%. Timeline varies from when I stop watering, not less than 7 days up to 20.
Organic soil auto grower.

Begin Dry
Wet Trim
Day 7
Day10
Harvest
ArealBoy

ArealBoy

Old thread but cannot find any info on this. I had a plant accidentally dry out in the pot while I was away for a couple days. Disappointed at first but then realized it actually wasn't as bad as I thought. I just chopped it up and the buds were basically all dry already which I thought was some sort of miracle because they looked great. Not too dry I should say but like they had been hanging for a week already but it had only been a few days. Any way I did hang them for another day just to make sure and then jarred them and they turned out pretty dang good.

Top Bottom