Ductless Mini-split Advice

• Thread starter Terpin.daily
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Terpin.daily

Terpin.daily

alrite, so what’s going on ... not really big into the forum thing... love reading them but never really post... been having some issues lately now that the temps have been rising on the upper east coast with 1 out of the 2 portable acs I have ... my 10x10 room is cranking strong but it has a single exhaust system going and worried about smells leaking so would love to throw a mini split in there, I just set up another room to play around with in my garage would say it’s about the same size, 10x10 give or take .... my crappy hydro farm active air POS, double vented portable ac seems to not be able to keep up with a couple led boards barely putting out heat ... and always had questions about the unit , that’s why I upgraded too the LG ... but shouldn’t have gotten the single exhaust... long story short...I’m going to invest in mini splits for both rooms, just too keep the temps ideal... obviously one of the most important factors out of many in our hobby, My questions for you guys are... in my 10x10 room running let’s say 2-4 fluence spyder x plus and a co2 burner And a dehumidifer, how much BTU’s should I be looking into , I’m looking for somthing energy efficient that wouldn’t be running 24/7 like the portable ac’s do... overkill is fine just Incase I ever upgrade... I have a buddy who will install a dedicated line for both of the units... and if needed I can have another buddy charge and setup a unit that isn’t labeled “DIY” ... as far as BTU’s ... any good brands that will last long and won’t break the bank, I do see brands like Mitsubishi and Lg with pricey units that are just as strong as others for cheaper prices, any input would be great... trying to buy both units within the week and start cranking out some fattys, thanks!

R

redlife215

Get the 4ton Mitsubishi mini split, they are the best, atleast tgey were wen i was doing indoor like 5 years ago but with legalizatiin and everything i wouldnt be surprised if u could find a bigger better cheaper one

G gnome

G gnome

alrite, so what’s going on ... not really big into the forum thing... love reading them but never really post... been having some issues lately now that the temps have been rising on the upper east coast with 1 out of the 2 portable acs I have ... my 10x10 room is cranking strong but it has a single exhaust system going and worried about smells leaking so would love to throw a mini split in there, I just set up another room to play around with in my garage would say it’s about the same size, 10x10 give or take .... my crappy hydro farm active air POS, double vented portable ac seems to not be able to keep up with a couple led boards barely putting out heat ... and always had questions about the unit , that’s why I upgraded too the LG ... but shouldn’t have gotten the single exhaust... long story short...I’m going to invest in mini splits for both rooms, just too keep the temps ideal... obviously one of the most important factors out of many in our hobby, My questions for you guys are... in my 10x10 room running let’s say 2-4 fluence spyder x plus and a co2 burner And a dehumidifer, how much BTU’s should I be looking into , I’m looking for somthing energy efficient that wouldn’t be running 24/7 like the portable ac’s do... overkill is fine just Incase I ever upgrade... I have a buddy who will install a dedicated line for both of the units... and if needed I can have another buddy charge and setup a unit that isn’t labeled “DIY” ... as far as BTU’s ... any good brands that will last long and won’t break the bank, I do see brands like Mitsubishi and Lg with pricey units that are just as strong as others for cheaper prices, any input would be great... trying to buy both units within the week and start cranking out some fattys, thanks!

If ur buddy is slick u can have 1 ac do both rooms.

I use a normal central air unit (Goodman).
They're a lot cheaper than a mini split. U can have 1 unit w dual zones to cool either/both rooms.
Any hvac guy worth his salt can do what im proposing and cut ur equipment costs in half.

R

redlife215

U can get a dual zone mini split and itll handle both rooms but id def run the rooms back to back, like wen one is in dark the otger is lights on so that tge 1 zone ca use the majority of the 4 tons the condensor can pump. Does that make sense? Or am i wrong? I am not a hvac guy and bever ysed multi zone minisplits, i always had designated units per room

G gnome

G gnome

U can get a dual zone mini split and itll handle both rooms but id def run the rooms back to back, like wen one is in dark the otger is lights on so that tge 1 zone ca use the majority of the 4 tons the condensor can pump. Does that make sense? Or am i wrong? I am not a hvac guy and bever ysed multi zone minisplits, i always had designated units per room
i really dont think he needs a 48k btu ac for his setup. Imo, 24k wud leave rm to expand. Besides its important for the ac to cycle more frequently to help with humidity.

Mini spljts are a lot more expensive than central ac

G gnome

G gnome

He can easily cool both rms simultaneously w even just a 2ton

Last edited:
R

redlife215

The price diff between 2 anf 4 ton isnt that much to mot go with tge 4 ton. And they will both always run so idk what u mean by that they jus wont kick on unless tge desired temps go up. And u need ducting for central air so if ge doesnt have the ducring that isnt an option

G gnome

G gnome

The price diff between 2 anf 4 ton isnt that much to mot go with tge 4 ton. And they will both always run so idk what u mean by that they jus wont kick on unless tge desired temps go up. And u need ducting for central air so if ge doesnt have the ducring that isnt an option
The more approximately sized the unit is for a specific heat load the more it runs, the more it runs the more humidity it takes out of the air.

As far as ducting theres nothin to it

Terpin.daily

Terpin.daily

If ur buddy is slick u can have 1 ac do both rooms.

I use a normal central air unit (Goodman).
They're a lot cheaper than a mini split. U can have 1 unit w dual zones to cool either/both rooms.
Any hvac guy worth his salt can do what im proposing and cut ur equipment costs in half.

Thanks for both the quick replies, soo as far as the central air or dual zone mini split go, the 2 rooms are unfortuantly a bit far away from each other... one being a spare bedroom and other one being a room inside the garage not attached to the house... would be amazing to be able to set up the central air or dual zone and rock out with both rooms... but at this very moment in time that’s not an option... maybe when I upgrade too the warehouse :p , I have the same exact feelings on the 24k vs the 36k etc ... one is enough the other is overkill... but as far as pricing they are only 4-600 off from one another ... so at that point it would only make sense to make the full investment.. id only assume ... just not sure on which brand too go with... smell and how loud the compressor runs seem to be the biggest factor atm because I do have neighbors close by ...

G gnome

G gnome

Thanks for both the quick replies, soo as far as the central air or dual zone mini split go, the 2 rooms are unfortuantly a bit far away from each other... one being a spare bedroom and other one being a room inside the garage not attached to the house... would be amazing to be able to set up the central air or dual zone and rock out with both rooms... but at this very moment in time that’s not an option... maybe when I upgrade too the warehouse :p , I have the same exact feelings on the 24k vs the 36k etc ... one is enough the other is overkill... but as far as pricing they are only 4-600 off from one another ... so at that point it would only make sense to make the full investment.. id only assume ... just not sure on which brand too go with... smell and how loud the compressor runs seem to be the biggest factor atm because I do have neighbors close by ...
In that case, i say do what redlife suggests and go w a dual zone mini split. Theres no limit to how long ur line set can be.

Even a 2ton for u is overkill

P

PharmHand

Mitsubishi minis are the best u can buy but also most expensive, made in Japan . Fujitsu is good too also Japanese then there’s daikin, lg Samsung friedrich all are pretty good. You could easily get two 2-ton Goodman conventionals for the same price but the mini would be FAR quieter .The seer rating on the Goodman is 13 or 14 whereas the Mitsubishi is in the 20’s so almost double as efficient. A friend has a Goodman mini ,got it really cheap, it seems fine. And I’m pretty sure you’re limited to about 75’ on the linesets mini or reg. The conventional acs do seem to cool better in grow rooms ime

Terpin.daily

Terpin.daily

Mitsubishi minis are the best u can buy but also most expensive, made in Japan . Fujitsu is good too also Japanese then there’s daikin, lg Samsung friedrich all are pretty good. You could easily get two 2-ton Goodman conventionals for the same price but the mini would be FAR quieter .The seer rating on the Goodman is 13 or 14 whereas the Mitsubishi is in the 20’s so almost double as efficient. A friend has a Goodman mini ,got it really cheap, it seems fine. And I’m pretty sure you’re limited to about 75’ on the linesets mini or reg. The conventional acs do seem to cool better in grow rooms ime

Thanks for the input, talked to my ac guy asked him a couple questions he said his brother is a sales rep for daikin, see if he can work something nice for the mini-splits for me... would really like the discreetness and if i get 2 ill always be able to run the rooms however i want... would rather invest right and not cheap out... going too see what the price difference between 24k and 36k are but plan on running LEDS for the most part so dont really know if the 36k is necessary ...

RooR5mm

RooR5mm

The only problem with Mitsu is that the thermostat is proprietary and you won’t be able to control it with an enviro controller. Other than that you will not be disappointed with the performance. FYI if you oversize the AC it will make the room cold but the humidity will still be in the room.

H

heisen

Running a 24k mr cool mini in a 15 x 15 room now with 10 foot ceilings.running 4500 watts of lihps,cobs and cmh (non air cooled)and 3 water chillers plus all the ballast and air pumps.
No issue whatsoever keeping the room wherever I want it.3 separate thermometers on the walls and everyone of them read the same temp.1 on back wall reads 1 degree cooler than where I set it
I can get the room down to 64 with the lights on If I want in 10 minutes..I got a 21 seer so it barely raises the light bill.had it almost 2 months and 0 issues.has a wifi controller also with an app to program temps for sunrise and sunset and for lower lights off temp.

H

heisen

It's on my back wall.i could run 6000 watts with that ac no problem.i could have went with an 18k mi I and been good.

20180522 221129

Latest posts

Top Bottom