Dutch crack down on marijuana tourism

• Thread starter Cali smoke
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cali smoke

Cali smoke

Dutch crack down on marijuana tourism
And what's more, Dutch youth aren't even interested in smoking weed.

AMSTERDAM, The Netherlands — In the back street cannabis den, a French-speaking Arab youth with a pierced lower lip and a rhinestone encrusted baseball cap leans across the bar to order his fix of choice.

"Hot chocolate, please," he intones in heavily accentuated English.

"With whipped cream?" asks the fresh-faced young barrista in the 420 Cafe.

"Yes, please.”

A group of teenage English boys, their polite manners contrasting with the hair-raising heavy metal designs on their T-shirts, is also drinking the warm, frothy brew. Above them a large flat screen TV is showing a documentary about Antarctic bird life.

A penguin protects her chicks from a hungry gull as two Spanish girls debate whether to get high on "White Widow," “Blueberry” — brands from the marijuana menu — or to take a slice of the peanut butter and white chocolate weed-laced "space cake."

From inside this cozy, 100-year-old-bar-turned-hash-house it appears the Amsterdam drug scene has mellowed since the Dutch government began to "decriminalize" cannabis in the late 1970s.

"Some specimens of my tribe, and I think I can include myself, are considered to be respectable citizens," said Michael Veling, owner of the 420 Cafe.

“We even have a working relationship with the tax office,” added Veling, a spokesman for the Cannabis Retailers Association which represents many of the more than 700 “coffee shops” that openly serve the drug in the Netherlands.

After 30 years of high times, Amsterdam continues to attract waves of youthful tourists eager to smoke a reefer or two without having to look over their shoulder for the cops. However Dutch attitudes are changing. Successive conservative-led governments have tightened restrictions on cannabis sales, while local youngsters seem increasingly indifferent to the coffee shops’ charms.

A report from European Union’s drug monitoring center made headlines in November when it showed young Dutch people lagged well behind many of their European neighbors when it came to smoking weed.

According to the survey, 11.4 percent of Dutch people aged 15 to 24 had consumed cannabis over the previous year, down from 14.3 percent eight years earlier. The Netherlands was ranked 13th out of 23 nations — way behind countries such as Spain, Italy and the Czech Republic, which register more than double the Dutch rate.

In the 420 Cafe, the only locals in view were a group of 50-something friends of the owner nodding contentedly to the Frank Zappa and Jimi Hendrix tunes coming from the sound system.

“It’s not as exciting [for Dutch kids] as it is in other countries and we had education together with the tolerant attitude, so our kids know about drugs,” said Veling.

“Our customers are mainly from England and the United States, but because of the economic crisis the percentage of continental Europeans has risen,” he said. “Last summer we saw the first wave of Chinese middle class, that’s a very promising market.”

Veling is perhaps unique among coffee shop owners in that he is also an active member and one-time city councilor with the conservative Christian Democratic Appeal party of Prime Minister Jan Peter Balkenende, which has done much to clamp down on the Dutch dope trade in recent years.

Coffee shops have seen the maximum amount they can sell customers reduced from 30 grams to 5 grams. In 2007 a ban on cannabis outlets serving alcohol was enforced, meaning coffee shop owners had to choose between booze or pot — which explains why the strongest drinks at Cafe 420 are coffee, tea and chocolate. Moreover, advertising for cannabis is banned, so while souvenir shops selling T-shirts festooned with marijuana-leaf designs abound, coffee shops are not allowed to use the image.

Many city councils prohibit the opening of new coffee shops and are quick to shut down any that break the rules. A ban on smoking tobacco in all Dutch cafes and bars hit the coffee shops hard when it was introduced in July 2008, since cannabis cigarettes are often mixed with tobacco. Now the rule is widely ignored.

"There are all kinds of ridiculous regulations,” said Fredrick Polak, a veteran campaigner for more liberal drug laws. “It does not work, it is counterproductive … the state has no business interfering with individual grown-up citizens and what they want to put in their bodies."

Polak, a white-haired, 67-year-old psychiatrist who works at Amsterdam’s drug dependency unit, said Dutch authorities have caved into pressure from neighboring nations concerned that so many young people were buying cannabis in the Netherlands to take back home.

French, Belgian and German authorities have been particularly worried about a proliferation of outlets in border cities, so the Dutch government has sought to crack down on “drug tourism.”

The cities of Bergen op Zoom and Rosendaal near the Belgian border closed down six of their eight coffee shops last year after residents complained about rowdy behavior from an estimated 25,000 drug tourists passing through every week.

In the southeastern city of Maastricht, authorities have proposed making coffee shops members-only clubs, effectively banning foreign day-trippers. The country’s largest coffee shop, Checkpoint in the southern border town of Terneuzen, was closed down in 2008 at a time when it was reportedly serving 3,000 customers a day.

Polak complains that criminal elements continue to play a leading role in the cannabis trade due to an anomaly in the laws: While the retailing is tolerated, wholesale trade remains illegal, meaning coffee shop owners often have to get their supplies from criminal networks, which are also involved in illegal exports of the drug and violent turf wars.

“With our system, for people who want to smoke marijuana it’s very pleasant, but on the supply side here there is no control, it’s still completely illegal, so the wrong people make very much money," Polak said.

B

Beeronymous

ha.i bet the owner of the coffee shop getting 3000 customers a day was PISSED when he had to close his shit down

C

CAPO

This article speaks to me, born in the US with Dutch ancestory.
The Dutch can be quite amusing with their hypocritical philosophies. You can sell it in a cafe' and smoke it, but the growing and selling are illegal. Illegal in the sense if authorities receive complaints about a grow, they will come and confiscate all of it.
Furthermore, to save face in the eyes of the French, Belgium, and German authorities they are implementing a crackdown on outlets that border these countries? How lonely the Dutch must be feeling, to be one of the only countries with a tolerance for cannibus over the last 40 years. Bless them and their tolerant ways.
It is my firm belief that the Dutch model would never work for the US. I think here in the US we should follow the Canadian model of fulfilling a medical need when it comes to cannibus. I fear if we legalized for 21 and up, we would see a big business take over and a further criminilization of the small grower.
It is my opinion that we should adopt a "tax stamp" and "tiered" approach for growers. Example, if I wanted to grow 18 plants I would buy a permit from the state allowing me to grow up to 25 plants for $500 a year or up to 100 plants for $2000 a year. We could say only limit flowering plants. Any grower caught in violation would be subject to civil fines say in double or triple the permit cost. Then in turn tax the sale of any flowers public and private under under income tax. If a person didn't "provide" anyone for profit and can prove medical necessity they could be evaluated and fees waived.
The problem in the Dutch equation is obvious. With no real law or reason for the presence for cannibus it could easily be thought of as intrusive and disruptive and therefore "un-tolerated" if you will.

R

revolutionseeds

Premium Member
Supporter
I read the propositions have been struck down.

C

CAPO

You know it !!
Members only would cut A LOT of Dutch tourism!
I sure is heck ain't jumping on a 12 hr. flight to take pictures of Tulips. I'd take my money and go see a Spanish bullfight AND smoke flowers!

B

BUDOGHI

If the Netherlands continue in the conservative direction their heading, Oaksterdamn will be the new pot capital of the world or maybe Hawaii where the really good shit is grown.

sanvanalona

sanvanalona

I definitely think that the U.S., at least in Cali, will have some similar things as dutch coffee shops very soon. The tourism from other states would be phenomenal, and maybe encourage other places to do the same thing. I have spent some time in Amsterdam, I love the place, but if one is out attempting to find the best and most readily available chronic then I think Cali is it. Amsterdam coffee shop product really could not compete with the average cali medical club, so I think it will only be a matter of time before these places are available for everyone.

subieslow

subieslow

DUTCH YOUTH ARE NOT INTERESTED IN SMOKING WEED.

I'm so sick of this bullshit from the Dutch. I heard the same crap when I was over there from a tour guide who basically alienated anybody who uses marijuana. I stuck around for a minute after it was all over and he sparked a j up.

They just dont' want to be labeled as potheads so they say silly things.

Also when I was In Amsterdam people were really rude to me about looking at different strains and how I was a fool and It's all the same. Not just trying to degrade my intelligence but actually being dicks about it.

Cali's bud shits on the dutch imo, in terms of whats easily available at least.

GOOD idea with the Props, that way when we visit (if we ever do) can all buy our weed from the crazy guy also selling cociiiinaaaa and e yet he doesn't look as if he could afford a sandwhich.

must be some major retardation in their government right now.

If they want to make a difference, maybe Amsterdam shouldn't have coffee shops every 50 feet. MORE is not better, especially if its schwag from the bulldog.

H

HowardHunt

As a person who is a dual citizen and who has lived on both sides of the pond I liked this article but I have to say that I didn't like Amsterdam. The wholesale whoredom of something that many of us see sacred is just that in the city of Amsterdam. Sure there are great places with amazing flavors and a great vibe where you can talk with educated people on the subject. The sad thing is that most of the clubs are cookie cutter, nasty and all have the same ho hum products.

I just wish they would put a little more love into it and not just have these dive bar looking places that all have the same strains, besides the one weird sounding one they probably made up just to seem unique, and some "bubble" hash for 80 eu a gram.

I was let down quite a bit when I was there. In fact the city itself is so much nicer than any sort of Cannabis novelty it may have. Today in this world there is only one true epicenter for Marijuana knowledge, cultivation and exchange. That place is California.

H

HowardHunt

I hear you Subsie and hope you can relate to what I experienced there as well. Hell I pretty much wrote off all the clubs as total crap besides The Doors and the only reason I liked that one was because the bartender hated The Doors and let us play Sly & The Family Stone the whole time. haha.

but yeah the rest, total garbage. Bulldog is probably one of the worst business on earth regardless of what they say. The herb we hold sacred and a place that looks like Chilis or TGI McFunsters should not be in the same building.

CaliShark

CaliShark

I did the math on the amount of gross income from the coffee shop owner that was seeing 3,000 people a day would make. If each person walking in there buys at least a gram of weed at $20, they would make $20,160,000 a year. That number goes up to $50,400,000 if they buy an eight at $50. Now if I did my math right that number is just mind blowing. Not including taxes, and expanses of running the business.

D

damsko

all the coffeshops in holland get more then a 1000/2000 people a day
and i know cuz i work in a coffeshop

B

Bill Bloome

My best friend just came back from Amsterdam and he was really looking forward to the trip.He said he had more fun and better bud when he went to San Francisco.Also,the food was better.He still raves about Chinatown!

B

Big C

no way the Dutch will ban pot...too much $$$...but definitely look for more regulations...that's the beauty of weed not being 'legal, but tolerated,' they can amend rules whenever they want...

D

Dahleh

hi fellow greenlovers. I can see how the whole "tolerant" marijuana politics they run by in Amsterdam and the rest of the country, is in many ways alot sadder model in comparison with the more medical consideration of marijuana in Cali and Canada. That said, and having never been in Cali nor Canada I still think there is much to consider in order of the cultural differences. Marijuana, amongst other internationally untolerated interests as for example prostitution, has for 40 years or so been a visible part in the community of Holland. There's is no doubt about the fact that the level of tolerance since it all started, seems to have degraded alot since then. Equally, the governments interest in the subject is now drawing more conservative conclusions. Because of the illegal growing issues - i could imaging that the coffee owners have a hard time on getting their hands on the truly amazing dank. While in cali, when medical perspectived, the best of the best must be avaiable.

In cali, the scene of marijuana comes from another spectacle. Its now an emerging, and beautifully example of how to consider marijuana as a community. And I do truly hope that other countries will draw inspirations of this.
My point being, tolerance and medical perspective are two different worlds. The one moving forward, while the other one is moving backwards.

D

Dubwobble

Other than California (and maybe Vancouver BC and parts of Spain), the rest of the world doesn't have it that good as far as availability of marijuana. To them Amsterdam is the shizit.

When I was there I had hella fun.
Bought psilocybe tampanesis and other mushrooms there LIVE, and tripped in Vondel Park.
Caught a free concert there too.
Lots of cool places to drink and smoke on the waterways.
Did bongs at Babba's of LA Con. as people walked by in the streets.
Found dank Sour Diesel at Hunters.
Got intensely strong Amnesia Haze at Amnesia.
It's fun watching other people from other countries smoke weed openly.
It is awesome to buy real hashish from their countries of origin. Nepalese temple balls anyone? How about some Shiraz or "00" pollen?
Bought packs of MK Ultra and others over the counter.
Excellent shopping - the H&M is HUGE, totally different stock than US ones. Mens Versace and Prada stores, again with product not available in the USA.
Donner Kebap's were delicious! The herring and gherkin sammie shops were delicious.
The bakeries open at 5am and they have the absolutely best pastries anywhere (except maybe Austria)
Weird smart drugs in the Psychedelic Shops (Smart drinks, Spice, kava, khat, nexus, tons of others)
I've never seen so many people using bicycles... you can actually get run over by a crowd of approaching bikers!
Totally different architecture than the US.

It is definately a fun fun fun place if you keep you mind open and just enjoy it.

Top Bottom