DWC bucket/reservoir sizing considerations

• Thread starter ispy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
I

ispy

@Cashmeh / @Aqua Man ,
thought i'd put this in different post. i want to start preparation for RDWC. i picked up two 17 gal totes and 1" - feed , 2" - return piping and fittings. bulkheads coming. i wanted to either do 1 tote or 2 if needed for 2 plants. i assume the 17 gal 17x26 is too small for 2 plants? i think the biggest i can go to is the 27 gal. want to dump the 5 gal buckets and go to a square tote/bucket setup. if the 1 tote thought is too small, i may have to go with the buckets i have or a square smaller tote that i can fit two in my space. space now with modification is 30x26 - just for the grow area.

some questions i have.
if i stay with 5 gal buckets, is 17 gal reservoir overkill?
is doing a 17 gal reservoir too much for nutrient upkeep? i assume i would not run 15 gal.
is that 17 gal too small for 2 plants? if so, could the 27 gal work? i think it is 18x30.

i know there are other equipment considerations. i am just curious about the tote/bucket sizing first.

thanks!

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

The larger your capacity the less it swings. I myself dont like external plumbing so i do single totes. Aquas gotta nifty setup for an exteral res im sure he will share with ya. Id say at least 10 gallons per plant minimum. I run 1 plant in 30 gallon totes. Ive ran 4 plants in 5 gallon buckets plumbed with 3 inch pvc to a 30 gallon tote. 3 inch bulkheads cost more but if you have small buckets your roots might clog if u use the 2 inch. But taller buckets are available if building a system then you can use 2 inch with even a screen. If you have space for an external res go big with capacity. I had 6 plants in 60 gallons and I had to add nutrients every 3 days. Which was 10 gallon per plant. Now im at 30 gallon per plant and only add water and nutrients once a week. I dont even have to use ph up or down anymore cause its just stable. Basically if you wanna leave it unattended for a vacation. . the bigger the better.

I

ispy

The larger your capacity the less it swings. I myself dont like external plumbing so i do single totes. Aquas gotta nifty setup for an exteral res im sure he will share with ya. Id say at least 10 gallons per plant minimum. I run 1 plant in 30 gallon totes. Ive ran 4 plants in 5 gallon buckets plumbed with 3 inch pvc to a 30 gallon tote. 3 inch bulkheads cost more but if you have small buckets your roots might clog if u use the 2 inch. But taller buckets are available if building a system then you can use 2 inch with even a screen. If you have space for an external res go big with capacity. I had 6 plants in 60 gallons and I had to add nutrients every 3 days. Which was 10 gallon per plant. Now im at 30 gallon per plant and only add water and nutrients once a week. I dont even have to use ph up or down anymore cause its just stable. Basically if you wanna leave it unattended for a vacation. . the bigger the better.
ok, i have another 26x30" space for reservoir but i actually have the same idea as you - external reservoir. my reason is for water temp, but i have to get a "permit" to cut my holes in the wall to run it outside into the office.

I

ispy

Yeah my opinion is 2-5 gal and 17gal res is plenty.
I ordered some square totes. 4 Gallon but I did not pay attention to the dimensions. You think these would be OK if I used them?
22.8 x 10.6 x 10.6 inches

Latest posts

Top Bottom