DWC Maxigrow and Maxibloom feed and supplement recipes.

• Thread starter Ponky
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ponky

Ponky

If you're using Maxigrow and Maxibloom (in water based hydroponics) what recipes do you like to follow? Silica, Cal Mag, etc. And what's your best yield been? (Specifically sticking to discussing Maxigrow and Maxibloom base nutirents) and what you like to add. Thanks.

Eskander

Eskander

If you're using Maxigrow and Maxibloom (in water based hydroponics) what recipes do you like to follow? Silica, Cal Mag, etc. And what's your best yield been? (Specifically sticking to discussing Maxigrow and Maxibloom base nutirents) and what you like to add. Thanks.
It is going to depend a lot on your water. My well water comes out at 11 ppm and PH5 so it is more or less acidic RO. I find that I need to add quite a lot of Calcium Nitrate to keep plants happy. So much so that I essentially never use the Maxigro any more. If I did, I'd end up with way too much Nitrogen so I end up using maxibloom with calcium nitrate in a 4:3 ratio for veg. I switch to Calcium nitrate and Koolbloom for bloom and back off on the ratio as warranted. As with anything, you need to see what your plants like and adjust but I find that with Calcium Nitrate as the main nitrogen source, the tolerance for fairly high ppm is common.

This stuff goes into solution well. The southern Ag crap is covered in some kind of oil.

If you are using water that is already high in calcium then you can mostly just run it straight. Before I moved I was on city water at 120 ppm out of the tap and never had any issues running straight maxigrow and maxibloom. Calmag is just calcium nitrate and magnesium nitrate and you can buy bags of that stuff individually for way less than the liquid. If you need Mg the epsom salt is probably the way to go.

I'm not a huge believer in silica and it doesn't take much to hit saturation in leaf content so if you want to toss a bit in, it isn't going our hurt anything. As for other additives... I think that 90% of the stuff people are selling as additives are bullshit. Going to a hydro store and you might get told you should be dumping magical enzymes, complex organics, molasses and terpenes into a reservoir. Making sure your plant's major and minor nutrient requirements are being met and are not in crazy excess is going to keep them far happier than magic pixie dust derived from petrified unicorn farts.

-Eskander
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071YS779G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Eskander

Eskander

Speaking of Micro nutrients... I don't know how I never noticed that GH dry nutrients aren't actually complete. No Boron, Zinc, Moly, manganese or copper. Bout to start my next grow and it looks like I'll be switching to masterblend. Way cheaper per pound anyway.

-Eskander

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I use Maxigro right now with tap water at 150-170 ppm. It does have copper, iron, manganese, borate and zinc.

Eskander

Eskander

I use Maxigro right now with tap water at 150-170 ppm. It does have copper, iron, manganese, borate and zinc.
Ha! Thats funny... If you look at the "Full Analysis" tab on their page they list:
  • Total Nitrogen (N)10.0%
    • 1.5% Ammoniacal Nitrogen (N)
    • 8.5% Nitrate Nitrogen (N)
  • Available Phosphate (P2O5)5.0%
  • Soluble Potash (K2O)14.0%
  • Calcium (Ca)6.0%
  • Magnesium (Mg)2.0%
    • 2.0% Water Soluble Magnesium (Mg)
  • Sulfur (S)3.0%
    • 3.0% Combined Sulfur (S)
  • Iron (Fe)0.12%
    • 0.12% Chelated Iron (Fe)
  • Manganese (Mn)0.05%
    • 0.05% Chelated Manganese (Mn)
But if you look at their actual ingredient list it is:
Ammonium Molybdate, Ammonium Nitrate, Calcium Nitrate, Calcium Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Iron DTPA, Magnesium Sulfate, Manganese EDTA, Potassium Borate, Potassium Nitrate, Potassium Phosphate and Zinc Sulfate

I wonder why they don't include that. Or at least just have a one liner about trace micronutrients.

Anyway, I'm glad I looked for an alternative anyway since the price difference is pretty solid. Maxibloom is $5.55 a pound and masterblend is $2.60.

-Eskander

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Ha! Thats funny... If you look at the "Full Analysis" tab on their page they list:
  • Total Nitrogen (N)10.0%
    • 1.5% Ammoniacal Nitrogen (N)
    • 8.5% Nitrate Nitrogen (N)
  • Available Phosphate (P2O5)5.0%
  • Soluble Potash (K2O)14.0%
  • Calcium (Ca)6.0%
  • Magnesium (Mg)2.0%
    • 2.0% Water Soluble Magnesium (Mg)
  • Sulfur (S)3.0%
    • 3.0% Combined Sulfur (S)
  • Iron (Fe)0.12%
    • 0.12% Chelated Iron (Fe)
  • Manganese (Mn)0.05%
    • 0.05% Chelated Manganese (Mn)
But if you look at their actual ingredient list it is:
Ammonium Molybdate, Ammonium Nitrate, Calcium Nitrate, Calcium Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Iron DTPA, Magnesium Sulfate, Manganese EDTA, Potassium Borate, Potassium Nitrate, Potassium Phosphate and Zinc Sulfate

I wonder why they don't include that. Or at least just have a one liner about trace micronutrients.

Anyway, I'm glad I looked for an alternative anyway since the price difference is pretty solid. Maxibloom is $5.55 a pound and masterblend is $2.60.

-Eskander

Maybe they want to keep the amount of trace nutrients proprietary?

I've heard good things about Masterblend.

Latest posts

Top Bottom