Dying Leaves, Red Stems, Curling Tips And Yellowing During Early Flowering

• Thread starter Mik D
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

Mik D

Hi all,

First time grower here. I'm in week 3 of flower with my Bruce Banner, grown in coco. She's been an extremely healthy looking and fast-growing plant until just recently, when I started to notice some brown/ dying spots on like all my fan leaves. They don't seem to match any nutrient deficiency or excess I've seen on the internet.

I'm using FF Tiger Bloom 2 tsp/gal, Big Bloom and Cal-Mag 1 tsp/gal, PH 5.8-6.5, under a 1000w hps. The problem started on my oldest fan leaves and seems to be spreading to new growth, starting with brown curled up tips. I also noticed that all leaves experiencing this have reddish purple stems, while all the healthy growth has green stems. Please help!!

Dying leaves red stems curling tips and yellowing during early flowering
Dying leaves red stems curling tips and yellowing during early flowering 2
Dying leaves red stems curling tips and yellowing during early flowering 3
MW7945

MW7945

The black spots look like an excess phosphorus problem. Which can lead to cal/mag deficiencies.

Also how far are these from the light?

M

Mik D

The black spots look like an excess phosphorus problem. Which can lead to cal/mag deficiencies.

Also how far are these from the light?

Thanks for your reply. The top of the canopy is about 2 feet from the light.

MW7945

MW7945

If you're in coco make sure you're feeding at 5.8 pH every time. 6.5 can causes absorption issues of certain nutrients as well. I feel like this is a few issues stemming from one.

Any idea what your runoff pH is at?

M

Mik D

Just checked and the runoff is at 5.5. Also, 3 hours ago I went to water and the tent smelled great and now, when I just went in, it smelled like sulfur???

MW7945

MW7945

That's rather odd... do you have an intake/exhaust system circulating air?

MW7945

MW7945

In coco, I'd highly recommend it. The sulfur smell could be root rot and the wrong kind of bacteria breeding. I haven't had any problem with this, but I use hydroguard.

M

Mik D

In coco, I'd highly recommend it. The sulfur smell could be root rot and the wrong kind of bacteria breeding. I haven't had any problem with this, but I use hydroguard.
I'm banking on the smell going away as it pretty much came out of no where and the plants/roots themselves really don't appear to smell. But, back to this potential Phosphorous problem - how does one solve that?

MW7945

MW7945

Back off on the tiger bloom maybe? Not too familiar with those nutes, but I know tiger bloom is heavy in it

Leew421

Leew421

You have lockout most likely. You need to flush with a bunch of RO or distilled and push in new low dose nutes. Do a slurry test instead of run off. It's way to inaccurate. 1 tbsp medium 5 tbsp water and mix well. Check pH and TDS. I would say more lockout than deficiency

G gnome

G gnome

Hi all,

First time grower here. I'm in week 3 of flower with my Bruce Banner, grown in coco. She's been an extremely healthy looking and fast-growing plant until just recently, when I started to notice some brown/ dying spots on like all my fan leaves. They don't seem to match any nutrient deficiency or excess I've seen on the internet.

I'm using FF Tiger Bloom 2 tsp/gal, Big Bloom and Cal-Mag 1 tsp/gal, PH 5.8-6.5, under a 1000w hps. The problem started on my oldest fan leaves and seems to be spreading to new growth, starting with brown curled up tips. I also noticed that all leaves experiencing this have reddish purple stems, while all the healthy growth has green stems. Please help!!
Did u ever let these plants get too dry? To the point where they started to wilt?

M

Mik D

You have lockout most likely. You need to flush with a bunch of RO or distilled and push in new low dose nutes. Do a slurry test instead of run off. It's way to inaccurate. 1 tbsp medium 5 tbsp water and mix well. Check pH and TDS. I would say more lockout than deficiency
How many waterings does one flush for? Is it really necessary to use RO water or would ph'd tap water be acceptable?

M

Mik D

Did u ever let these plants get too dry? To the point where they started to wilt?

They've gotten pretty dry but I've never seen wilting, or really anything concerning, until this since I bought the clone. Why do you ask?

G gnome

G gnome

They've gotten pretty dry but I've never seen wilting, or really anything concerning, until this since I bought the clone. Why do you ask?
Reason i ask is cuz the damage ur plants are displaying is reminiscent of the same sort ive personally experienced when my plants got too dry. Also, the fact that ur in coco kinda makes me think i might be on the right track. It shudnt get too dry.

MW7945

MW7945

You'd have to go a couple days without watering in coco for that to happen though correct? I skipped a day or two here and there and mine never showed any signs of issues. And the top inch or two would be bone dry and light brown

G gnome

G gnome

You'd have to go a couple days without watering in coco for that to happen though correct? I skipped a day or two here and there and mine never showed any signs of issues. And the top inch or two would be bone dry and light brown
No, not correct . It has nothing to do w it goin a cpl days. It has everything to do w how much the plants are transpiring. I got a buddy here in my town who grows 2-3lb trees in #10 pots who has to water up to 3x a day. If he dont they get too dry and will wilt.

Also ur top 2" of coco mjght of been dry from evaporation not transpiration while the bottom of the pot may still have been plenty moist

Cityfarmin

Cityfarmin

Hi all,

I feel your pain, I'm in the same boat, I just did 2 foliage feedings with CAL-MAG, maybe you need to flush and just feed that way while your flushing and waiting for the medium to return to a correct PPM/PH. Only difference is I'm in foxfarm ocean mist soil. I was wondering the same thing about flushing, If I could just use PH'd tap water to flush and to answer your question, I think you need to flush with 3 or 2 to 1 of your container if that makes sense. This is just a rough guess tho as I'm new to this as well, other then that good luck and hope all turned out well!

KlipschGuy

KlipschGuy

Looks like your frying them bro. Fox farm nutes are bad news in my opinion, that trio will cook your roots in either stage, the shit is way to salty, an if your going to use it, give your plants about half of what their schedule tells you and be prepared to flush often. I tried the whole ff line and never had so much trouble keeping my PH in check.

Top Bottom