Votes: 21 38.9%
  • NextGen

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Quantum

Votes: 24 44.4%

• Total voters
D

dedust

yeah, so i just got a reply back from the quantum guys and they're made in china with components sourced from china, eu, and taiwan.

so, does that mean the cheap knock offs are indeed from the same facility as suspected?

homebrew420

homebrew420

how lame. If NextGen are made for CAP I will never buy one. That company is a giant pile of chicken poop. I had a 30%, returns/repair with thes fools. Incorrectly wired components, failure on arrival. Quality control seems to have some serious issues. That is a no go fo sho!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Yes, IIRC NextGen is a CAP product. This is good to know, when I was in the market for a second ballast a friend of mine suggested the NextGens. I ended up with a Quantum because I could buy it from someone I know (virtually). That said, reefkeepers absolutely rely on their Galaxy ballasts and I don't think I know a more anal group of people than reefkeepers.

crom

crom

Cannobi Genetics
Supporter
Yes, IIRC NextGen is a CAP product. This is good to know, when I was in the market for a second ballast a friend of mine suggested the NextGens. I ended up with a Quantum because I could buy it from someone I know (virtually). That said, reefkeepers absolutely rely on their Galaxy ballasts and I don't think I know a more anal group of people than reefkeepers.

Hey Seamaiden, How come reefkeepers prefer Galaxy?

Cheers,
Crom

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
In general I've been told they find them to be a better, more reliable product.

J

jack_ripa

In my opinion nothing beats the price/performance ratio of the dual 600 watt dimmable Lumatek. You get two ballasts for about 300 and they are awesome. If I were doing it over now I would skip the thouies and get two extra 600s in dual ballasts. I wish they made a dual 1000w dimmable!

F

fasteddy0

I know for a fact that Quantum's come into the country on a shipping container, so I doubt they are manufactured in Vegas.

Lumatek is a European company that has it's manufacturing in china and indonesia.

Quantum is solely american and manufactures out of Las Vegas.

Phantom is a Hydrofarm brand and is based out of California.

Galaxy is a sunlight supply Inc brand. They are a solely american company too based out of Vancouver WA.

C.A.P. makes NextGen which is a Hydrofarm company also but Hyrdofarm doesn't claim the ballasts. (kinda weird)

Not sure about all the other brands. Until I did that research I never knew that Galaxy was made by the same people as the awesome Magnum XXXL hoods AND they are in my "back yard". I think I'll have to try galaxy next time. I'm running phantoms because i've liked all hydrofarms stuff but it was a toss up between those and galaxy's when i bought them.

F

fasteddy0

Until when the ballast fails then you are out 2 lights til you get a replacement.

In my opinion nothing beats the price/performance ratio of the dual 600 watt dimmable Lumatek. You get two ballasts for about 300 and they are awesome. If I were doing it over now I would skip the thouies and get two extra 600s in dual ballasts. I wish they made a dual 1000w dimmable!

J

Jalisco Kid

A friend bought 50 lumateks replaced 3-4 in under a year. I use mag ballast.JK

M

MediMary

Nothing compares

Quantum makes the best E ballast. Hands Down!
I had all kinds of equipment(mine and a friends stored at my house) fry over Christmas break Heater crapped out while I was gone, water pipe broke, only things that still work is my two quantum products. Everything else is dead! Galaxy, lumatek,( some still in the box) and HID Hut all fried.

http://www.invalid.com/attachments/toke-n-talk/1363493d1294184515-great-grow-room-flood-2010-img_2728.jpg

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
anybody have experience with galaxy's?
I would go to a site called Reef Central and see what the folks there have to say about Galaxy units. Especially now that Ice Cap has gone under, sheesh.

I

ibTheMan

Man i had/have Lumatek only, even the old Non adjustable ones i have still work great. out of 20 i and friends have/had none have ever had one problem.

I like there resine filled, the fan cooled ballast have more to go wrong, IMO , but im sure other companies ballast are good also, im ah Lumatek fan life.(probably,lol)

M

MediMary

It would be hard for me to switch to another company though after my experience with quantum.

D

dedust

I would go to a site called Reef Central and see what the folks there have to say about Galaxy units. Especially now that Ice Cap has gone under, sheesh.

Yeah, some of those aquarium reflectors look crazy too! Do you know if those are good for gardening as well? The reflectors that farmers use seems to be, more or less, the same design whereas the reflectors for aquarium users have a wide range... Maybe those reflectors are too intense?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Hmm... I don't know if the aquarium reflectors/hoods would be a good swap. I happen to use vertizontal parabolics, love them, SO much better than an enclosed hood (for my situation). Only thing I'd be concerned about is swapping out electronics, otherwise, could be worth a try.

M

MediMary

Aeroponics, Am I doing something wrong?

I just noticed the picture I tried to post isn't showing up.
126980d1296144146t-quantum-digital-ballasts-rsz_img_2728.jpg.att

Latest posts

Top Bottom