Early cotyledon yellowing - sign of poor root development?

• Thread starter ItsAllMedical
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ItsAllMedical

ItsAllMedical

My current batch of seedlings has had a hard time and I lost a couple to damping off. The survivors are hanging in there but a bit behind in growth.

I've noticed that some of the cotyledons are completely yellow and ready to fall off despite not a lot of top growth. Others still have green cotys and are ready to put out a third set of true leaves.

Since I've got to pick a pheno to keep (assuming they all make it) is it safe to assume that this is an early sign of good root development & strong genetics - that the plant hasn't had to pull everything it can from the cotys at this early stage? Or is it as much down to chance as genetics?

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Some pics would help you got flying blind . Od

ItsAllMedical

ItsAllMedical

IMG 20210517 115449
IMG 20210517 115512

So pic 1 vs. pic 2 is a good example of what I mean. Same age, same strain. Seedling 1 has completely depleted its cotyledons. Seedling 2 has better growth, a thicker stem and green cotyledons. None have roots emerging on the bottom yet, but I'm guessing seedling 2 has superior root growth.

My question is whether this is likely to be a genetic trait or whether seedling 1 is a survivor of pythium or similar, or yet to succumb. And then, if some seem more susceptible to fungal attack, is this too genetic? They're all in the same medium.

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Normal ? But your doggy avatar is so cute I think there doing fine nota fan of the bark in your mix it’s causing Nitrogen draw down taking N from the plant as it compost down and the paper pots are a how can I say not the best option when are you potting up .

ItsAllMedical

ItsAllMedical

Normal ? But your doggy avatar is so cute I think there doing fine nota fan of the bark in your mix it’s causing Nitrogen draw down taking N from the plant as it compost down and the paper pots are a how can I say not the best option when are you potting up .

Thanks, yeah I really wish I'd waited and ordered some quality seed raising mix. We don't have much available locally but it definitely looks like it was a mistake. Didn't know that re the bark/nitrogen, cheers. There should be plenty of N in that mix to compensate though.

The pots are peat and I'll be putting them into soil in large fabric pots in my tent; was going to wait until I saw signs of them outgrowing those pots...pretty scared of stressing them out further or inadvertently overwatering after the damping off scare. I don't think they're over watered now, but some have downturned leaves like the first pic, wondering if it's from the fan being too close.

ItsAllMedical

ItsAllMedical

Dog isn't my pic btw, it's Prancer, a rescue Chihuahua who hates men, children and animals and just got adopted by a single lesbian. I know he's just mad but I thought he looked like a massive stoner.

Top Bottom