Early signs of botrytis? Would love some experienced eyes.

• Thread starter Reinbag
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

That's nice to know. I haven't played with any of that equipment since college ... in the 80's. We didn't use it with cannabis though.

I did look at freeze dry equipment for a brief moment. I changed my mind when I saw the price tag.

Dragging us back on topic ... In all the bud talk in this thread, please keep in mind that all the great things we do with are harvest should only be done with healthy buds.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

That's nice to know. I haven't played with any of that equipment since college ... in the 80's. We didn't use it with cannabis though.

I did look at freeze dry equipment for a brief moment. I changed my mind when I saw the price tag.

Dragging us back on topic ... In all the bud talk in this thread, please keep in mind that all the great things we do with are harvest should only be done with healthy buds.
No they are not cheap. The thought of knowingly running boytris in any of my equipment gives me the shakes. Hell even handling it is stressful. It should be treated like it is radioactive the way it sprays spores everywhere.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

No they are not cheap. The thought of knowingly running boytris in any of my equipment gives me the shakes. Hell even handling it is stressful. It should be treated like it is radioactive the way it sprays spores everywhere.
It's why I haven't started my indoor run yet. Problems outside don't need to find their way inside on my clothing. Outdoor issues have never come inside. Carelessness could change that.

@Moe.Red What preventative measures do you recommend to guard against mold/mildow issues for outdoor growers? I'm constantly looking for ways to improve. I'm sure others are interested in this as well.

Madbud

Madbud

No.

You need something like 30% Ethanol for 30 seconds:

the susceptibility of Botrytis cinerea to ethanol have reported that exposure to 30% ethanol for 30 s destroys all spores (Lichter et al. 2003)
So exactly how much is 180 mM of peroxide?
B2FF28A2 1EFB 4F3F 8D12 FD875E31104F

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

So exactly how much is 180 mM of peroxide?
View attachment 1280214
H2O2 is 34.01 g/mole. MM is milli moles.

1ppm = 1 mg/l

Most h2o2 is at 3%.

So you would need to be over 1100 mg/l to start with and keep adding because every bud you dip in will “consume” h2o2

So that means straight 3% is too weak right out of the bottle you would need to be like 1/3 12% to 2/3 water.

Last edited:
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

It's why I haven't started my indoor run yet. Problems outside don't need to find their way inside on my clothing. Outdoor issues have never come inside. Carelessness could change that.

@Moe.Red What preventative measures do you recommend to guard against mold/mildow issues for outdoor growers? I'm constantly looking for ways to improve. I'm sure others are interested in this as well.
Sorry not an outdoor grower so no experience. It’s not legal where I am yet.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

1ppm = 1 mg/l

Most h2o2 is at 3%.

So you would need to be over 1100 mg/l to start with and keep adding because every bud you dip in will “consume” h2o2

So that means straight 3% is too weak right out of the bottle you would need to be like 1/3 12% to 2/3 water.
I have seen 30% H2O2 is available at some local of hydro stores. Buyer beware though. Now we're getting into strong oxidation territory and care must be used in its handling. Take the handling precautions seriously.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I have seen 30% H2O2 is available at some local of hydro stores. Buyer beware though. Now we're getting into strong oxidation territory and care must be used in its handling. Take the handling precautions seriously.
Yes that is what I use. Glove up or your skin turns white!

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Yes that is what I use. Glove up or your skin turns white!
It will also damage fabrics and finishes ... It's a bleaching agent so for those considering using it ... keep it off anything of value to you and not just your skin.

TomH

TomH

I guess we haven't met lol. My concoctions are only green when I want them to be. We are getting way off in the weeds, but I also have a short path distillation rig. What comes out of that is just cannabinoids. I also have a Chromatography column to separate cannabinoids by molecular weight.

Also if you freeze dry before rotovap, oil is blonde, no chlorophyll.
That's fucking awesome! I'm so low-tech it's crazy, prehistoric kind of low tech.

The tools you're talking about amaze me, I'd love to read/see the output of that equipment.
I guess I'm living proof, it's so easy, even a caveman can do it! :)

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

That's fucking awesome! I'm so low-tech it's crazy, prehistoric kind of low tech.

The tools you're talking about amaze me, I'd love to read/see the output of that equipment.
There's a reason @Moe.Red has all that fancy equipment. He's got an advance degree ... I believe in chemical engineering. His "real science" knowledge is evident in nearly every post he makes.

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

Hey all,

I would love someone with more experience to take a look at these pics and tell me what they think. I'm growing outdoors and it's been a hot and dry summer. Recently got some cold rainy days last week though. I've had various fungal issues in all my gardens, my tomatoes and cukes got it the worst this year although my cannabis has thus far faired ok. I've been prophylactically spraying all my plants with a variety of fungicides, baking soda mixture, sulfur, and neem at alternating times. Anyway, I have no idea the strain or genetics or anything. I'm just trying to decide whether to cut down this plant right now and I don't own a microscope or anything to look any closer at it. Any help is appreciated.
I haven't tried it because I haven't had an issue with mold but I have been told,15ml apple vinegar per gal h20 works great and the smell dissipates, seems to be the safest if it does work,perhaps worth a try on a small flower.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Thanks growme. Mostly I’m full of shit, but here is some of it.

Rotovap:

9C4E0C8A 5525 4291 BAF7 FED8AB9AA697

Short path up top, Freeze drier below:

F915A26B 4255 4E7D A016 1A981C60C07F

Press:

28743DBD 8CC0 4DDE 9BF9 6F27BE7BD7B4

Mad scientist workbench with vacuum oven and medical deep freeze:

C5BF63B8 4FCA 46B7 A904 5D97A319CE50

Medicine, cannabinoid and terpene storage:

FA1122E9 1A35 4FF7 8C95 3BA17DC156B3

Edibles making area:

0B6EC111 FB40 4BDF AF06 DB929F0F7AE5

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

There's a reason @Moe.Red has all that fancy equipment. He's got an advance degree ... I believe in chemical engineering. His "real science" knowledge is evident in nearly every post he makes.
Actually electrical engineering and computer science. But when I win the lottery, I'm going back to school lol. I have a lot to learn about botany.

Madbud

Madbud

1ppm = 1 mg/l

Most h2o2 is at 3%.

Thanks for the breakdown. Peroxide does kill botrytis spores, just not in the quantity i recommended. Wondering how wffective it is on penicillium, aspergillis and the myriad of other toxins found in the garden?

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Thanks for the breakdown. Peroxide does kill botrytis spores, just not in the quantity i recommended. Wondering how wffective it is on penicillium, aspergillis and the myriad of other toxins found in the garden?
Sure thing.

I have not specifically researched those, but my gut tells me effective.

H2O2 works because it is incredibly reactive and wants to break bonds, steal electrons, and release it's O2. This process typically targets cell walls of anything living, plant, animal, microorganism. Carbon based life forms will all pretty much perish if given enough of this, including humans.

The problem is when you add it to your grow, it is also killing some root cells. But post harvest? Maybe it has a bigger role than I am giving it credit for? Especially outside? Out of my area of expertise I'm afraid.

Madbud

Madbud

And my other observation is the research is done in a lab with ideal grow conditions and appears aimed at the wine industry, a different medium.
Notwithstanding, this is what my wash water looked like last year after one plant
1346DB52 89A5 4DB3 98FF 4DAD45F47421

Last edited:
N1ghtL1ght

N1ghtL1ght

Staff
Supporter
Sure thing.

I have not specifically researched those, but my gut tells me effective.

H2O2 works because it is incredibly reactive and wants to break bonds, steal electrons, and release it's O2. This process typically targets cell walls of anything living, plant, animal, microorganism. Carbon based life forms will all pretty much perish if given enough of this, including humans.

The problem is when you add it to your grow, it is also killing some root cells. But post harvest? Maybe it has a bigger role than I am giving it credit for? Especially outside? Out of my area of expertise I'm afraid.
some pathogenic bacterias form like a slime around the area of infestation and this can keep the H2O2 still away from all the baddies. I think at ManixBotanix he wrote about it there with studies. But it surely is helpful.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

some pathogenic bacterias form like a slime around the area of infestation and this can keep the H2O2 still away from all the baddies. I think at ManixBotanix he wrote about it there with studies. But it surely is helpful.
Dude, thanks for that recommendation. I've never seen that site but wow! Lots to read there!

N1ghtL1ght

N1ghtL1ght

Staff
Supporter
Dude, thanks for that recommendation. I've never seen that site but wow! Lots to read there!
Your welcome Moe. Thought you'd like the scientific approach, I find it one of the best online sources, esp. when it goes so far into the details with explanations.

Latest posts

Top Bottom