EarthLED GrowLED - inexpensive LED growlights

• Thread starter hailstone
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

hailstone

Anyone heard anything about these?

http://www.earthled.com/growled-led-grow-lights.html

They have three models (and all seem quite cheap at least compared to UFO LED lights etc): A 5 Watt ($39.99), a 14 Watt ($52.99) and a 45 Watt ($137.99) model.

Their (non-grow) products seem to have been featured in mainstream media so if it's a scam it's a pretty damn good one.

Here are the specs for the 45W model which I find the most interesting:
growcubebox_large.jpg

- Power Consumption: 45 Watts
- Light Engine: 112 LEDs (72 Red, 40 Blue)
- Wavelengths: Red - 620-630 nm, Blue - 460-470 nm
- Input Voltage: 120v AC
- Lifespan: > 50,000 Hours (MTBF)
- Physical Dimensions:
Overall Length – 12.25 in x 12.25 in x 1.2 in
Weight – 2 lbs

Definitely not the perfect spectrum but seems ok-ish... Sucks for us Europeans that there's no 230v model.

They'll also let you try them out for 30 days and you can return them if you aren't satisfied. Better not touch the lamp with your sticky fingers then tho. :cool0010:

What do you guys think?

Dr CandyMan

Dr CandyMan

Breeder
Supporter
i have about 16 of those babies. they are good for slow vegging moms, small plants. definitely not strong enough for flowering. but they work pretty darn good in slow veg. i use them for my males as well

F

FastForward

I've got one in a DR60 as side lighting, with 2x55w fluoros above - the LR#2 in there definitely prefers the LEDs, as you can see:

(that LR was hidden underneath a massive mum, that's why it looks so crap...it's also got PM...but still smells better than almost anything else I've grown..but that's another story)

IMG 5822
IMG 5825
O

Otto

Neat little panel, im trying out LED kristmas lights poked through the top of a Rubbermaid lid(saw it online a couple months back), I bought 4 light strips for 15 bux at dollar general and the lid i already had. So 200 LED light thingy for 15 bux... works killer at starting seedlings and clones, i can even set the lights right on top of the humidity domes no prob.

-Otto

S

SSHZ

The technology is such that it's still years away from producing lighting thats strong enough to make much of a difference, especially for flowering. For a small closet area, I guess they are ok but not for much else.

H

hailstone

Dr Candyman: Hmm veg was what I wanted one for but if plants veg slowly under these maybe that's not such a great idea. Good to know they work well for moms though.

FastForward: Cool. Is that the ordinary GrowLED or have you managed to source a 230V version of the pro-model?

B

British_Hempire

Don't bother with any of those panels based on class 1 LEDs (the little plastic ones), they are nowhere near powerful enough. You can DIY a better panel with class 2 LEDs (CREE, Luxeon etc) for not much more these days.

For vegging, red light is useless, you only want blue, they make all blue and all red panels too. The blue ones are just about acceptable for vegging, but grow plants very slowly. The red and red/blue ones are pretty much useless imho as they are only of use for flowering (like I say red is useless in veg) and they simply don't work for flowering.

H

hailstone

Hope someone makes a cheap kit like this with class 2 LEDs soon, dunno if I really wanna get into that DIY thing...

Red light useless for vegging? Hmm, interesting.. I've always thought it was needed too just not as much of it as in flower. Are you sure about this?

B

British_Hempire

Very sure, I am using pure blue light from Edison Opto and CREE class 2 LEDs and the plants grow great, stocky structure too cos the blue prevents any stretch. I have read somewhere that red light stimulates root development but I'm not seeing any problems with the pure blue.

Top Bottom