Easy , Simple Test Of Bulbs , Cheap And You Probably Got It!

• Thread starter SilentL
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SilentL

SilentL

When to replace a bulb for HID.
I will test the bulb with phone and lux test program which is free.
There are several programs at google play.
A new bulb , I test it first and write down what results I have. Maybe after 3 months or 6 months I want to test or you see that something is different ?
The program' s goes up to 25765 lux.
I take 30 cm or 50cm , important same reflector , same distance etc..... And of course look at the tube or what you using and clean it too!
When 660w HPS ex . 23000 lux ;600w 20000 lux;400w 14000 lux.
How good theese are doesn't matter , I know the equipment and I
want to know when the bulb loose 5% or 15 % etc .. when to replace as you look if they are darker etc....
Happy growing! :)

Last edited:
Dunge

Dunge

I have spent some time attempting to get a rational feel for when to replace bulbs.

First, I inspect the glass itself for darkening due to deposition of material. It's not easy to see, and impossible to quantify.

Second, I look at the illuminated bulb with welding glasses on.
I look for dark intrusions into the radiant areas.

I have no luck with trying to measure the light intensity directly.

Lacking informative results, I tend to buy less expensive bulbs and tend to replace when any defect is seen.

All I got for now, but would love to learn how others make the decision the toss a bulb that otherwise looks fine.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
I I was looking at my eye hortilux blue metal halide brochure and noticed information regarding HID lamp life operation and ratings.

I thought it had some good points that I didn't know & thought I'd share that specific page.
20160814 141754

This prompted me to order a new mh bulb today (same version). Mainly because it talks about a 10hr minimum burn time each day.

And seeing as my diminishing light schedule goes down to 9hrs I could see a reduced life rating.

I could cap the diminishing light schedule at 10hrs to adjust for rated bulb life. But I will decide that at a later time.

On a side note damn this mh bulb is $83 and their (eye hortilux) super hps is only like $57 lol.

I am only on my second grow so I probably don't need it yet. But I will need it sometime soon in the future. So better be prepared than unprepared

Last edited:
SilentL

SilentL

Good info . When to replace ? The light test is a good tool as others.
I do it probably more often that I should , but if I run with a bad for 2 months , what will be the price of that?
No I change (2 ) times a year. At least. Maybe three flowering times and nr four 660w as an example. 4000-6000 hours. How long time , that is different depending on energy/heat/cost/harvest......
Then of course if I know I may have to adjust dim setting more often or something else , I use an older bulb ( over 6 months of use ).
Happy Growing :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom