Easy soil for first timer

• Thread starter Badchoice
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Badchoice

Badchoice

So I’ll make my question short and simple, I got a 1x1 tent that can do 1 3 gallon grow, and I wanna use the tent so
I’m looking for a nice simple soil, super soil, whatever lol organic lava rock don’t care just want something that can be planted, water, harvest less mess less headaches.
I have autoflower seeds for this due to size so idk if that info helps change suggestions.
My one co worker suggested fox farm ocean forest, another suggested ff happy frog with super soft and coco mixed in but rather ask here.

TripsRabbit

TripsRabbit

Any store bought soil will only feed your plant for the first month or two. If you want true super soil that never needs fertilizer you'll have to make your own and age and cook it.
I think the simplest way is coco husk and coco perfect nutrients. You can't overwater and it's tough to mess the coco nutrients up.

Badchoice

Badchoice

Any store bought soil will only feed your plant for the first month or two. If you want true super soil that never needs fertilizer you'll have to make your own and age and cook it.
I think the simplest way is coco husk and coco perfect nutrients. You can't overwater and it's tough to mess the coco nutrients up.
Well I have a bag of mother earths 70/30 coco and perlite that I’ve used for other things but idk for cannabis.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Imo it’s best to start with a soil that is not too hot so it won’t burn your plants and root system. To do this I often take a bagged potting soil and mix with coco and perlite. One such bagged soil I prefer is nectar for the gods #4. It’s a coco based soil blend that you can use straight or diluted with coco and perlite.

For seedlings and freshly rooted clones I like to use a 50/50 mix of #4 and coco + perlite. This usually tests around 100-150ppm in a slurry test.

For established plants and plants about to be flowered I’ll use more #4. So for vegging plants I’ll use maybe 75%-100% #4 and 25%-0% coco + perlite.

I also like to mix in compost when transplanting so there’s a bevy of beneficial bacteria to help make the soil more living. By the time the plants get to flowering the soil should be full of beneficial bacteria, micro and macro nutrients. So it’s not as important with what you start with so long as it’s manageable but what you end up with.

amekins

amekins

So I’ll make my question short and simple, I got a 1x1 tent that can do 1 3 gallon grow, and I wanna use the tent so
I’m looking for a nice simple soil, super soil, whatever lol organic lava rock don’t care just want something that can be planted, water, harvest less mess less headaches.
I have autoflower seeds for this due to size so idk if that info helps change suggestions.
My one co worker suggested fox farm ocean forest, another suggested ff happy frog with super soft and coco mixed in but rather ask here.
Fox Farm Ocean Forest is fine. Add another 30% by volume of perlite. I mix some worm castings towards the bottom of the container with the soil. After the first month, you will need to feed. You can find a balanced organic dry you can scratch into the top couple inches of soil along with some more worm castings once or twice probably. That’s just my most simplified approach, which is what it sounds like you want.

Madbud

Madbud

Your friends suggestions are good, just add a handful of perlite , get the ff trio for nutrients, sticky traps for fungus gnats and don’t water til the bag is light. Good luck

Badchoice

Badchoice

Fox Farm Ocean Forest is fine. Add another 30% by volume of perlite. I mix some worm castings towards the bottom of the container with the soil. After the first month, you will need to feed. You can find a balanced organic dry you can scratch into the top couple inches of soil along with some more worm castings once or twice probably. That’s just my most simplified approach, which is what it sounds like you want.
Some what yes thank you, still sounds like a little mess but not a lot effort. I got a DWC going so it be just easier on me to have a soil base that’s maintenance free”” allmost does sound like one of my best choices would be taken the 3 gallon pot layer the bottom with Mother Earth 70/30 than fill up than inch below the top of fresh farm manure than top off with more coco?

amekins

amekins

Some what yes thank you, still sounds like a little mess but not a lot effort. I got a DWC going so it be just easier on me to have a soil base that’s maintenance free”” allmost does sound like one of my best choices would be taken the 3 gallon pot layer the bottom with Mother Earth 70/30 than fill up than inch below the top of fresh farm manure than top off with more coco?
“More coco”...I thought this was soil? You can certainly start there. But you’re going to need to watch and respond to the needs of the plant.

Badchoice

Badchoice

“More coco”...I thought this was soil? You can certainly start there. But you’re going to need to watch and respond to the needs of the plant.
Well I would guess manure from a farm that does livestock would be pre loaded in npk ratio Like crazy think I’ve heard chicken manure is nitrogen city, but your ff suggestion sounds good as well, had a weird idea that I could possible pass the waterIng with nutes from drainage from my DWC...

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Im about to try promix and osmocote plus and see how far i can get with only water.

Dynamite (nutricote) may work well too. These are controlled release fertilizer prills. Mixed in to the top 3 inches of soil at transplant.

I am still keeping bottled nutes ready for any deficiencies.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I've been told coast of Maine Stonington blend in a 7 to 10 gallon pot can sustain an Autoflower with watering only it's entire grow, but I've never seen it done so I can't say for sure

Badchoice

Badchoice

I've been told coast of Maine Stonington blend in a 7 to 10 gallon pot can sustain an Autoflower with watering only it's entire grow, but I've never seen it done so I can't say for sure
I’ve seen that Maine soil on amazon and it wasn’t bad priced and it looks real fancy npk wise.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I’ve seen that Maine soil on amazon and it wasn’t bad priced and it looks real fancy npk wise.
I've been told it's a super soil by one hydro store owner recently, and the owner of a different hydro store that went out of business last year claimed to have grown plants in 10 gallon pots of it with water regularly, so two different hydro store owners highly recommended it, let us know if you try it would be interesting to follow along!

TripsRabbit

TripsRabbit

Just quoting this so I can find it again.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

i use coast of maine soil every year for my carrots,water only all the way,i just 2 days ago decided to amend the soil and see how it works refurbished.
so 2 years using it and it takes about 6 months for us to finish eating them ,this is reuse of last years im fixing to plant,ive used many bag soils,honestly the only one i wont ever use again is the kellog garden soil,even miracle grow is better.
for my med's i use soil i make or ocean forest,if i need to fill the store shelves i use coco for quick turn around

Badchoice

Badchoice

i use coast of maine soil every year for my carrots,water only all the way,i just 2 days ago decided to amend the soil and see how it works refurbished.
so 2 years using it and it takes about 6 months for us to finish eating them ,this is reuse of last years im fixing to plant,ive used many bag soils,honestly the only one i wont ever use again is the kellog garden soil,even miracle grow is better.
for my med's i use soil i make or ocean forest,if i need to fill the store shelves i use coco for quick turn around
Ah good thank you for the info, I might look more into that Maine brand and maybe something called super soft “auto” blend. Might be easier than asking a random farmer for some shit lol

slater69

slater69

I been having great results with Mother Earth ground swell... @ 50/50 mixed with a pro mix knock off... stretches the product and I have had the best results in all my years... I also use advanced a/b grow and boom only at 1/3 recomended dosage ...ec comes in @ 1.3

Top Bottom