Easy way to rinse coco

• Thread starter Neoangelo147
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Neoangelo147

Neoangelo147

Ok so i been growing in coco for about 8 months now..I recently found out a way to fully flush out your coco..This method works for me every time. I get it flushed out so good my ph comes out the same as what went it..So if your having problems with salty coco try this...
Get a 5 gallon smart pot or any other fabric aeropot will do...fill the 5 gallon with half ways of coco.Put in sink or tub start rinsing coco like you normally would than after coco is fully saturated squeeze smart pot to release excess water in the coco..Rinse with more water and squeeze again............. keep doing this about 4-5 times..once you squeeze out the excess water and no longer see the dirty water coming out you know your coco is ready for use..
Note i also like using hot water to sterile the cooc at the same time, it will also help break down salts in the cooc a lot faster than using cold water..
If using hot water make sure to run some cold water through it before transplanting anything into it to cool down the coco...

Let me know if this helps anyone :banana1sv6:

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Try using a pillowcase or old sheet, too. It's how I've been doing my cleaning/rinsing of coir. And absolutely, yes, it's far better using warm or hot water than cold water for expansion and rinse.

Neoangelo147

Neoangelo147

Pillowcase Wow!!!I never thought about that...ahhahah
I'll have to try that next time

J

jtmyzery2008

I was just going to ask a question about rinsing my coco. Im about to chop down my platinum blue dream's ive started to flush them just wondering the most effective way. But looks like you answered the question for me already.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
If its loose coco in a bag just poke holes in the bottom with a screw driver and jam the hose in top. If not put it in a trash bag and do the same thing. Always worked for hydroton also.

Neoangelo147

Neoangelo147

If its loose coco in a bag just poke holes in the bottom with a screw driver and jam the hose in top. If not put it in a trash bag and do the same thing. Always worked for hydroton also.

I see that working only negative thing i see is the coco might flow through the hole made in the bag..When using the smart part or pillowcase the fabric is real fine making it nearly impossible to loose any coco while rinsing it out..Only my 2 cents if it works for you than don't bother changing things..hahaha

Happy Growing Guys :dance

Neoangelo147

Neoangelo147

I was just going to ask a question about rinsing my coco. Im about to chop down my platinum blue dream's ive started to flush them just wondering the most effective way. But looks like you answered the question for me already.

When you say rinsing you mean for reusing the coco again right?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Yeah, dude, you should see me when I'm doing one of those 5kg Botanicare bales. I use an old, double bed type of fitted sheet, the driveway's fairly steep, and there I am jamming my hose in it, struggling with this heavy coir. Then I can't wrangle all that wet coir, so I have to spread it out, bit by bit. Gotta be careful doing that, yellow jackets'll bite you in untoward places and your sensitive bits if you're not careful.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
I see that working only negative thing i see is the coco might flow through the hole made in the bag..When using the smart part or pillowcase the fabric is real fine making it nearly impossible to loose any coco while rinsing it out..Only my 2 cents if it works for you than don't bother changing things..hahaha

Happy Growing Guys :dance

Its not a negative because it works great. Use a small screw driver. It's How I have flushed coco for years.

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

Rinsing in smartpots for the win! Then top off with hydroton and mix to your preference and it's chow in-a-pot to go, with no cleanup. Grow, harvest, recycle ad infinitum. Use bag trick with clay on the first round, and add in coir over time as it breaks down.

lemons

lemons

You guys have me wanting to use the brick of coco takin up space in my closet. Could I just tie it into a pillowcase and run it through the dish washer/washing machine to rinse it?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I don't see why not! But I'd be more inclined to use a clothes washing machine, not sure why...

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

I don't rinse my coco new or used but I use pre-washed and buffered coir. Used just gets ran through a 1/2" screen and gets mixed 50/50 with new. Enzymes to break down any organic material that's left.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Welp, I finally got the stent removed yesterday and I have the following sitting in my empty basement (no clones survived, I'd have to buy, get from friends or start seeds);
Pro-Mix, some kinda mix
Sunshine #4
A 5kg bale of coir

And... a shit-ton of perlite! I hage perlite. I also found some vermiculite down there. I need to get rid of that shit. It is seriously fucking COLD down in that basement, and we're getting a white Christmas pretty much guaranteed this year.

NOW I have an easy way to rinse my coco. <big grin>

lemons

lemons

Welp, I finally got the stent removed yesterday and I have the following sitting in my empty basement (no clones survived, I'd have to buy, get from friends or start seeds);
Pro-Mix, some kinda mix
Sunshine #4
A 5kg bale of coir

And... a shit-ton of perlite! I hage perlite. I also found some vermiculite down there. I need to get rid of that shit. It is seriously fucking COLD down in that basement, and we're getting a white Christmas pretty much guaranteed this year.

NOW I have an easy way to rinse my coco. <big grin>

Blame it on El Niño!

xavier7995

xavier7995

I use the big plastic buckets cat litter comes in, drill a bunch of little holes in the bottom. Then I just dump hot water through till it looks cleanish and the runoff PH is reasonable.

Going to try and bake some in the oven for an hour or two to get it sterile to do cloning in after an extremely thorough rinsing. Figure the extra step of sterilizing will be beneficial.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Why not just rinse with boiling water, then, save yourself that second step?

mittenmedgrow

mittenmedgrow

I don't rinse my coco new or used but I use pre-washed and buffered coir. Used just gets ran through a 1/2" screen and gets mixed 50/50 with new. Enzymes to break down any organic material that's left.
Not necessary to break down or add enzymes. I take a Sawzall with long blade and cut a hole for the new transplant and drop her in. Top off with a little fresh coco if needed. Did a test with canna zyme and was shocked and disappointed with results. Took a Mason jar put a small handful of roots in it with a couple inches of enzyme. After about 3 months the enzymes evaporated off and I was left with some dried out root mass covered in salty residue. Been reusing coco for over five years, used to do the enzymes breakdown and filtering. Huge waste of time.

xavier7995

xavier7995

Why not just rinse with boiling water, then, save yourself that second step?
Well I was thinking that was going to be a lot of boiling water to be really sure and even then the boiling water would cool pretty quickly once it hit the medium and you would have to stir that hot mass of fiber up quite a bit to make sure all of it came up to temp. Also, the stuff is in old plastic cat litter buckets and not sure of the plastic quality, sort of a secondary concern really, but figure it would be best to use cold/warm water to help mitigate leeching stuff into the coco.

Top Bottom