Eating herself alive

• Thread starter mancorn
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mancorn

mancorn

Got one plant that is just tearing through her leaves. Thinking it's toxicity as she's super green, but sucking a leaf or two down everyday. I did screw up a couple weeks back. The battery in my TDS meter was going dead and telling me I was ~800. But after I swapped out the battery my runoff was something like 1300. So did a flush down to ~400, but have subsequently potted into FF (Happy Frog/OF mix). It's not a typical yellowing, leaf goes from bright green to totally yellow in about 3 days, with green spots, then goes limp and is easy to pull off. Mainly lower leaves, but both young and old. (Been raining out so looks wet and dirty now, but hasn't been over watered or have a bug problem.) Was living off GH FloraNova earlier, but hasn't been feed for a week or so. Planning on just a water diet unless anyone has a different idea of what's going on.
Eating herself alive

Eating herself alive 2

Eating herself alive 3

Eating herself alive 4

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Here is what I'm thinking it may sound a bit idiotic but hear me out. Nitrogen in the form of nitrate is easily leached from soils. So while your feed may have been adequate and even high enough to create dark green leaves, with frequent rainfall I would say it absolutely possible that you nitrates have vanished to runoff from the increased rainfall. So if ya increase feed ppm more your likely to create a toxicity in the future. So during this period of rainfall you have a shortage of nitrogen and the plant is pulling it from the leaves to make up for it. Things should return to normal after the frequency of rain changes. I would feed after a rainfall to prevent this in the future.

Just my off the wall opinion.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Agree with Aqua. If it's been raining are you sure they arent overwatered too?
Could also be a combination of factors... Overfeeding causing a bit of root damage and then N being stripped by rain, plus overwatering causing the plants to not metabolize nutrients effectively..

mancorn

mancorn

Thanks for the reply guys, pretty sure it's not a rain depletion as it hasn't been real strong and I throw up a patio umbrella so she's not getting soaked. She was exhibiting the problem before the rains came and was in a pot until a week ago. (Just mentioned the rain as I figured that would be the first thing everyone said, "dang your dirt looks wet" šŸ˜€)

Here's the same plant a month ago, which showed a more tradional yellowing on a few leaves. But it was just 1 or 2 (and I was getting ready to take clones so avoided feeding). She's always had purple stems and really green. A newer strain, Magic Melon, so don't have any experience growing.

revfunk

revfunk

Supporter
Here is what I'm thinking it may sound a bit idiotic but hear me out. Nitrogen in the form of nitrate is easily leached from soils. So while your feed may have been adequate and even high enough to create dark green leaves, with frequent rainfall I would say it absolutely possible that you nitrates have vanished to runoff from the increased rainfall. So if ya increase feed ppm more your likely to create a toxicity in the future. So during this period of rainfall you have a shortage of nitrogen and the plant is pulling it from the leaves to make up for it. Things should return to normal after the frequency of rain changes. I would feed after a rainfall to prevent this in the future.

Just my off the wall opinion.

100% correct imo

Latest posts

Top Bottom