Ebb & Flow Commercial Pod Operation

• Thread starter Johnlandy420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Anthem

Anthem

Sadly, I completely agree. The cost efficiency of growing outdoors in some of these warmer climates is just too good to ignore. However, I do believe there is still a narrow window to succeed indoors in many states. My business plan involves gaining enough traction in any state which will allow me to pivot to a warmer climate when the federal sweep happens. I'm hoping my family in GA will come in handy LOL. I don't know about $200/ lb but it will drop substantially. Hopefully at that point I will have enough standing to continue in a craft market or sellout and reinvest to make my pivot outdoors down south. I have a background in biochemistry with a concentration in genetics, so my dream is to cross strains one day and produce myself a perfect little 70/30 Sativa blend with just enough body effects to allow me to enjoy my favorite hobby of running!
The problem is going to be Monsanto. They already purchased a company (forgot the name) that growers were sending in samples for DNA charting. They will patent strains and come after anyone they wish. Once they win several lawsuits the legal guys are going to be tied to using their products. They have already done it with big Ag and I really do not see a reason for them to change their battle plan. I am aware of a couple of frames up in the Berkley California area that cannot grow crops on their land. They refused to pay for seeds from Monsanto, but had grown Monsanto seeds on the property. Monsanto sued and won. Claiming that their seeds were already in the ground from previous harvests. The only resolution was to remove like 10" of top soil, needless to say that was not economical for the farmer.

Grownsince95

Grownsince95

❤🌱❤🤘😁✌
Supporter
Sadly, I completely agree. The cost efficiency of growing outdoors in some of these warmer climates is just too good to ignore. However, I do believe there is still a narrow window to succeed indoors in many states. My business plan involves gaining enough traction in any state which will allow me to pivot to a warmer climate when the federal sweep happens. I'm hoping my family in GA will come in handy LOL. I don't know about $200/ lb but it will drop substantially. Hopefully at that point I will have enough standing to continue in a craft market or sellout and reinvest to make my pivot outdoors down south. I have a background in biochemistry with a concentration in genetics, so my dream is to cross strains one day and produce myself a perfect little 70/30 Sativa blend with just enough body effects to allow me to enjoy my favorite hobby of running!
Just read that book! He talks about all of this with really great examples. 👍

Grapefruitroop

Grapefruitroop

If I still started traditional grow from seeds, would you suggest buying like 50 seeds of multiple strains and pheno hunt or buying bulk of single strain and cultivating like 300 or 400 for pheno viability?
I think that the pheno hunt is totally worth the time, you can find some serious pearls that make both grower and buyer very happy...
But If i was goin to start from seeds and growing for yield, yes what i would do is try to get only one or two strains.
The thing is, the new genetics that are around are absolutely a mess and a lottery ticket. They will work good if you run first a pheno hunt and research for the genetic that u want. But this require more time (totally worth it IMO) Or they will work good also if you dont grow for yield but just for enjoyn different flavors....
If you have to play with seeds and you goal is yield togheter with bag appeal You will find much more stability and homogenity in "Old" cultivars like Critical, white rhino, Ak 47,white widow, moby dick, ....i feel like a first run, you have to make up for a lot of expenses and unexpected troubles....
IMO 💚 💥

Kylesidious

Kylesidious

Thank you so much for your feedback!

The containers will be within pole barn type warehouse only because of permit restrictions. Id like to have them stand alone as in they are highly insulated and ideal little microclimates. There will be ample space between pods to promote proper air exchange. Regarding environmentals, I am aware that our HVAC system is potentially our most important component of our operation. We have chosen shipping containers because they seem to be our cheapest option of implementing a highly controlled environment. We will have an autogrow system in our pods but here is a bit more detail

HVAC: 1-3 Ton Bard wall mount heat pump with ductless air handlers
Dehumidifier : 110 Pint/Day Quest commercial

Regarding IPM.. This is partly why we selected the containers.. (Most control of air intake) We obviously need air intake from outside but we will be using extensive screening/netting to eliminate as many larger problems as possible.. We will definitely have protocols for when things do occur, which will be based on recommendation of budmaster, but I also believe that growing healthy uniform SOG plants with a strong immune system will mitigate many problems. I really like the idea of SOG!!

Alas, we will have money in the bank for expected failures lol. My wife is an accountant so I don't get to skimp on details. COME be our BUDMASTER and eliminate our initial expected failure! For real thank you for feedback!
One thing is that you keep talking about uniform sea of green but you’re also talking about growing from seed. You can’t really be very uniform growing from seed because not every seed will grow the same. To have true uniformity you have to be running clones. And to get enough clones to do what you’re trying, you’re going to have to start slower than you’re expecting. You can’t go from nothing, to a full clone sea of green.

Tonystacks

Tonystacks

Hey Guys & Gals,

First time poster about to embark on commercial grow operation with 2 friends. None of us have ever grown which I know will raise some eyebrows but we have solid backgrounds. Long story short, I am the biochemistry guy and I think I have come up with a decent plan. We are seeking a license for 2000 plants and our main constraint looks to be space (which is mainly driven by our finances). I am looking to implement a pseudo perpetual SOG harvest using ebb and flow tables with a 1 week veg 8 week flower cycle. I intend to utilize 8' x 40' shipping containers with approximately 230 sq ft of usable space. I have tons of information suggesting a 1/3 veg to 2/3 flower space allocation which has driven me to conclude we need 1 clone room, 2 veg rooms, and 6 flower rooms. I intend to start with enough seeds, assuming 80% success rate, to fill my 6 flower rooms which I expect to hold 1200ish plants. From there I intend to cut 1200 clones 3 weeks prior to first harvest. I know so many things are strain specific and nothing seems conclusive about how much a hydroponic system can add to yield.

If I use a SOG technique and get 200 flowering plants in each pod, how much yield could I expect from each pod?
I know a good experienced grower looks to get 1g dry/ 1 watt of light. Does this mean my 200 plants will only ever yield 14,000gs per harvest because I have 14,000W of light?
Am I understanding this correctly? Basically I want the largest total mass of high quality buds I can produce and the plant is really just a machine to convert whatever amount of light energy I give it to my desired buds. Therefore, is SOG just the best way to get the absolute most out of the light provided?

Please feel free to leave any feedback on my plan or questions. I will be speaking with a cannabis consulting company next week.

Cheers
Matt
Hey there I just sent you a private message regarding your custom build! Let’s try to talk about the container requirements if you have any interest hearing what another container builder has to say!:) thank you sir good luck with your project

Johnlandy420

Johnlandy420

Supporter
One thing is that you keep talking about uniform sea of green but you’re also talking about growing from seed. You can’t really be very uniform growing from seed because not every seed will grow the same. To have true uniformity you have to be running clones. And to get enough clones to do what you’re trying, you’re going to have to start slower than you’re expecting. You can’t go from nothing, to a full clone sea of green.
Appreciate the feedback!
Yes I am aware of the difficulty of trying to SOG plants from seed and I definitely left out that I would 4-6 veg my first harvest if I threw down that many seeds. I figured it would be beneficial anyways to let the plants mature as much as possible before I select moms for robustness/viability etc. I know seeds can be playing the genetic lottery but it is quite difficult atm to gather any good genetics, partly due to my limited connections, in Michigan. My hope is to have success working with old school cultivars like WW and Crit until I can get my hands on some new stuff for future progenies.

Johnlandy420

Johnlandy420

Supporter
Just read that book! He talks about all of this with really great examples. 👍
WOW! Legit not blowing smoke up your ass. Book is an amazing read and includes 99% of everything we have encountered thus far. Thank you for being such a great resource! My partners are currently out of the country doing contract work and I called them at 3:30 local time to recommend the read!

Ryan_Douglas_Cultivation

Ryan_Douglas_Cultivation

There's a new book out and it's free on kindle only this week, it's called "From Seed to Success" by Ryan Douglas.

If you haven't already you should definitely check it out! 👍🌱
Thanks for spreading the good word... much appreciated!

Latest posts

Top Bottom