EC Problem/Questions

• Thread starter Snzic
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Snzic

Snzic

Information: substrate is rockwool, two weeks into flower, large 5-6 foot tall plants, temperature is 80 degrees with leaf temp being within 80-81 range and Rh being 70%.

Currently having an issue where my plants can't seem to handle the typical EC for the medium I'm using and time within the cycle, as well as recommendations by nutrient manufacturer (floraflex).

They seem to only be able to handle 1.2 ec, which is slightly over half the recommended ec by feed chart, without the ec exploding in the substrate. Starts by day one being 300ppm higher, day after 500ppm higher, then 1000ppm higher etc.

Feeding schedule should be dialed in. I water 10 times per day, the first to higher than 15% runoff so I have enough runoff to test and to flush slightly, then 175ml per plant each water after that.

The plants look completely healthy and beautiful but I'm worried this may effect end yield and overall just really curious as to why this would be happening.

Strains are sunset octane and slurricane #5 + #7 if anyone has any experience with those strains.

Anyways, I'm totally stumped as to why this is happening. The watering, VPD etc is all dialed in to my knowledge so idk what other cause it could be.

Thanks for everyone's time.

BigCube

BigCube

Pics might help. Are they sitting in their runoff? Have you done a medium PH and EC test?

4plant

4plant

70% rh sounds high and could be affecting your calcium uptake due to a slower transportation, id double check your vpd values are in a good range. Have you grown this strain before? Might be a lighter feeder. What size blocks are you using? Sounds like you got some big plants there, are the blocks drying too much in between feeds?

Nugg

Nugg

Feed charts are always high...you feed as needed not what someone or something says..and what is a EC a medium?.. medium has nothing to do with EC levels..

BigCube

BigCube

Feed charts are always high...you feed as needed not what someone or something says..and what is a EC a medium?.. medium has nothing to do with EC levels..

Uhh.. you're joking right?

EC only exists in a medium. Water, soil, rockwool.... the medium is the current media you're growing in...

I could keep posting links, but I'm sure you get it by now.

Salts build up in your media, depending on what your medium is, it should be checked regularly (if you even care) to be sure you're not building up salts..

Hope this was just a misunderstanding on your part. It's actually real basic grow knowledge.

Nugg

Nugg

Uhh.. you're joking right?

EC only exists in a medium. Water, soil, rockwool.... the medium is the current media you're growing in...

I could keep posting links, but I'm sure you get it by now.

Salts build up in your media, depending on what your medium is, it should be checked regularly (if you even care) to be sure you're not building up salts..

Hope this was just a misunderstanding on your part. It's actually real basic grow knowledge.
You misunderstood...if you think I was off...I give all my mediums the same EC.. depending on plants...my dwc gets same as my coco and I use my excess in dirt.. maybe I'm just super lucky..that's what I said and I stand by it..

BigCube

BigCube

You said " what is a EC a medium?.. medium has nothing to do with EC levels".

This isnt compatible with your reply.
You asked what ec in a medium is.
Then stated medium has nothing to do with ec levels.

It's ok to be wrong or mistaken man.. trying to back out of it now just looks worse 🤣

Nugg

Nugg

You are the problem with this site..ppl.want to argue about what they miss read...in the first post they said that that was running a certain ec because there feed chart said that Rookwood required a higher EC... I've never had to run a higher or lower EC simply because of what I'm growing in..feed different yes but all about the same EC basically...

BigCube

BigCube

You are the problem with this site..ppl.want to argue about what they miss read...in the first post they said that that was running a certain ec because there feed chart said that Rookwood required a higher EC... I've never had to run a higher or lower EC simply because of what I'm growing in..feed different yes but all about the same EC basically...

I gave this a while to mellow incase you wanted to edit it. I guess you're not going to so let's see if we can dial this back a few notches.

I'm sorry if anything I said upset you. I feel like clarification has been mistaken for argumentation. I am not here to argue with people. I am here to help people. To this end I answered this man's question asking for clarification.

Op: this is my problem, can anyone help?

Me: pics pls, have you checked your mediums ec and ph?

You: what is a EC a medium?.. medium has nothing to do with EC levels..

Me: yes it does. Here are some links.

You: I give all my mediums the same EC

Me: I think you misunderstand, soil, rockwool and water have their own EC. Salts build up in mediums, it's good practice to know your mediums ec and ph. Your original comment sounded like you didn't know that mediums also carry an EC. I didn't once say anything about the EC levels of feedings.

You: People like you blah blah blah.

I don't know what you want from me man. I'm not here to argue, I'm here to help people. I shouldn't need to remind you, that you first replied to my post. Not I to yours. It's not arguing to enter in to a conversation with a person who instigated one with you.

I would like to know what I did or said that was so wrong? I would happily clarify or redact it. I care more about facts than I do looking like I'm right. If I'm wrong, I want to know so I an change it. Being wrong sucks.

This isnt the first time we've had this kind of problem you and I. I guess maybe we just arent compatible. Too bad too, cause I was really starting to like you 🙁

Hope we can work it out man, but if not. Nice knowing you man 👍

FamilyCanna

FamilyCanna

Bullies sheesh, and none of you gave him useful info.

Here you go bud,

When nutrient companies create those charts, that's based off YEARS of them perfecting strains and catering their nutes to match their needs.

That being said, are you growing genetics, and giving them the same environmental surrounding as the Apex Labs in the Netherlands do?

Me either...

That being said, an easy strategy is to aim for 50% of what you read a pro used.

If their plants want 1.2ec at week 5, you'd better believe every single moment since before seed was planned for that.

I personally have never had repeated success with un-stabilized genetics running an ec over 1.2, and that's at week 8.

For me, I have found a broad spectrum best result landed around 500-900 bell-curve for best results over the course of the flower cycle.

Unstable genetics means you havent ran that plant clone/seed/clone/seed for less than 10 cycles. That's when phenos and chemotypes become stable.

Growing_Garbage

Growing_Garbage

I can't get over 8-900 ever without burning tips. But Im using 600s, no vpd control or C02 or anything. Well one kush strain really likes it at 900-1000 peak flower but I usually just let it fade a bit.
Don't shoot for ec, shoot for healthy plants. Seems like your watching the cubes close and see when they get build-up. So feed em less when they're doing that. Or Moar Power! Add some more light and C02 and I bet you can get em to eat better.

Snzic

Snzic

Thanks for the replies guys. This is my first time running these strains but the guy I got cuts off of has had them a while. The plants do look perfectly healthy without any issues whatsoever so I guess I should be happy with that. They're under slightly less than 40 000 watts within a few feet to the bulbs with 1200 ppm of co2 so neither light or co2 should be a pigeon hole.

The plants are healthy but I can't wait to be able to blast the ec so I know im getting the max out of the room

Anthem

Anthem

Thanks for the replies guys. This is my first time running these strains but the guy I got cuts off of has had them a while. The plants do look perfectly healthy without any issues whatsoever so I guess I should be happy with that. They're under slightly less than 40 000 watts within a few feet to the bulbs with 1200 ppm of co2 so neither light or co2 should be a pigeon hole.

The plants are healthy but I can't wait to be able to blast the ec so I know im getting the max out of the room
BIG ROOM 40,000 watts

dire wolf

dire wolf

Bullies sheesh, and none of you gave him useful info.

Here you go bud,

When nutrient companies create those charts, that's based off YEARS of them perfecting strains and catering their nutes to match their needs.

That being said, are you growing genetics, and giving them the same environmental surrounding as the Apex Labs in the Netherlands do?

Me either...

That being said, an easy strategy is to aim for 50% of what you read a pro used.

If their plants want 1.2ec at week 5, you'd better believe every single moment since before seed was planned for that.

I personally have never had repeated success with un-stabilized genetics running an ec over 1.2, and that's at week 8.

For me, I have found a broad spectrum best result landed around 500-900 bell-curve for best results over the course of the flower cycle.

Unstable genetics means you havent ran that plant clone/seed/clone/seed for less than 10 cycles. That's when phenos and chemotypes become stable.
I dont think they were bullies , i think they just had a missunderstanding
Bullies are much meaner , and have a lower ph .....

Last edited:
Snzic

Snzic

Thanks for the advice fellas. Checking the brix level wasn't something I had thought of. The info on the ec others have gotten to was good to know too.

As for the watts thing I just tossed out the number I had off hand but I can order a par meter (or just borrow one from the grow store which is what I usually do). Regardless, light isn't the issue.

Thanks for all of your guys time

Top Bottom