Eco ways to heat my grow tent?

• Thread starter goodbye95
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
goodbye95

goodbye95

Hello. Are there any ways to raise the temperature in a small 2m by 2m room with the grow tent inside?
Keeping in mind electricity costs ( i live in europe 0.4 euro per Kwh)
And avoiding oil heaters etc. I do not want to return home to see it in flames.
The temps right now vary from 21 to 24 c all day but in 2 months from now it will drop to 12 - 16 . I thought of investing in a heating matt which i can connect to my climate controller . It is 1m by 1m which is exactly my tent dimensions. Is it worth it?

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
Hello. Are there any ways to raise the temperature in a small 2m by 2m room with the grow tent inside?
The temps right now vary from 21 to 24 c all day but in 2 months from now it will drop to 12 - 16 . I thought of investing in a heating matt which i can connect to my climate controller . It is 1m by 1m which is exactly my tent dimensions. Is it worth it?
I don't know if a heating mat would provide enough BTU's to make a difference in any grow space - but there's nothing wrong with those temperatures in my opinion. These plants are pretty hardy and will handle a lot of abuse and neglect, temperature swings, etc. Here in Colorado our outdoor crops are subject to 50 to 70 degree temperature swings in less than 24 hour periods, all the time. In fact, Colorado is known for having "extra sweet" sweet corn because of these temperature swings. So, it may actually help make more potent weed, or maybe stronger terpenes. I have no research or evidence to back that up in regards to cannabis, but I have no evidence to the contrary, either. Perhaps someone else does? At any rate, I wouldn't worry too much as long as it's not pushing too close to freezing temperatures.

I understand the electricity costs. Perhaps insulate your tent to keep what little heat your lights do produce, in? Maybe turn off the intake/exhaust fans (if you have any) for a couple of hours during lights-out?

Good luck! 🤠

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Where do you vent the tent now? You can vent directly into the room if you have a good carbon filter. If you were venting outside before, that will make a big difference.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I've used a 75w reptile heat lamp in a small light fixture & I put a dimmer switch on a 150w heat lamp the reptile heater can stay on 24/7 but my dimmed heat lamp I only use with lights on same timer.....Heat lamp is a bit sketchy..its a fire hazzard for sure but they are effective and if used safely ...away from anything flammable it'll do in a pinch.....The reptile lights work as well but again they can't get close to fabric/ tent sides or anything that may catch fire.

goodbye95

goodbye95

I don't know if a heating mat would provide enough BTU's to make a difference in any grow space - but there's nothing wrong with those temperatures in my opinion. These plants are pretty hardy and will handle a lot of abuse and neglect, temperature swings, etc. Here in Colorado our outdoor crops are subject to 50 to 70 degree temperature swings in less than 24 hour periods, all the time. In fact, Colorado is known for having "extra sweet" sweet corn because of these temperature swings. So, it may actually help make more potent weed, or maybe stronger terpenes. I have no research or evidence to back that up in regards to cannabis, but I have no evidence to the contrary, either. Perhaps someone else does? At any rate, I wouldn't worry too much as long as it's not pushing too close to freezing temperatures.

I understand the electricity costs. Perhaps insulate your tent to keep what little heat your lights do produce, in? Maybe turn off the intake/exhaust fans (if you have any) for a couple of hours during lights-out?

Good luck! 🤠
Thanks mate

BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines

Thanks mate

Get you a $20 heating thermostat controller:
BN-LINK Digital Heat Mat Thermostat Controller
Get you a $20 ceramic heater:
Amazon Basics 500-Watt Ceramic Small Space Personal Mini Heater - Black
Put the sensor & heater in the tent, set your desired temperature and forget about it. It will turn itself on when it is too cool in the tent and turn itself off when it meets the desired temperature.

This is the same setup I’m using. Cheap and effective.

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
Get you a $20 heating thermostat controller:
BN-LINK Digital Heat Mat Thermostat Controller
Get you a $20 ceramic heater:
Amazon Basics 500-Watt Ceramic Small Space Personal Mini Heater - Black
Put the sensor & heater in the tent, set your desired temperature and forget about it. It will turn itself on when it is too cool in the tent and turn itself off when it meets the desired temperature.

This is the same setup I’m using. Cheap and effective.
Walmart even sells a 1200w ceramic heater for like 20 bucks.. Well, it was last I looked before the crazy inflation.. But, I don't know if that's too strong to use with that controller or not. And I'm pretty sure they don't have walmart across the drink. But yeah that's a viable option, as well. 500w shouldn't use too much power.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

A heat mat works but only in small spaced gardens without exhaust ventilation. I use this method to keep my very young seedlings cozy. You'll need oscillating air. If humidity is a problem for you, this won't be a viable solution.

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

I have one of these. It cost about $65. It has it's own thermostat and it's an oil heater so it is good at maintaining an almost constant temperature. It's 12 inches high and 14 inches wide.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I have one of these. It cost about $65. It has it's own thermostat and it's an oil heater so it is good at maintaining an almost constant temperature. It's 12 inches high and 14 inches wide.

View attachment 1295769

Nice! I haven't seen one that small. I have a larger one, which I will use from time to time.

P

PahPahCee

It’s about root temperature. Heat mat is a great idea. Keep an insulated barrier on the floor. Insulate the tent. If you are using an extraction fan - slow it down.

A 1500w heat + a extraction fan = $$$$

It’s just bad logic. If you need heat add more lights. Don’t waste money on adding a heater.

Spiderfarmer sent me out these 4Ft heating pads. I would try that before a heater. 100W mat vs 1000/1500W heater. My electricity is 30c usd a KWh so I feel the pain.

growsince79

growsince79

Top Bottom