• Thread starter Cali smoke
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cali smoke

Cali smoke

Egypt's Pot Problem? A Marijuana Shortage

May 05, 2010 9:53 AM

ABC's Lama Hasan reports from Cairo, Egypt:

Forget about the economic crisis, deficits, debts and country bail outs, Egypt is facing a huge problem of its own. A marijuana problem. And it’s not what you’re thinking.

In a country where smoking the drug is part of everyday life for many here, a shortage of the stuff is a problem and it’s one that some are calling ‘’unprecedented.’’ The hash shortage is not due to consumers smoking the country’s stash up and bleeding it dry, it’s thanks to the vigilance of the interior ministry’s anti narcotics squad.

In March this year, the agency trumpeted a seven and a half ton seizure. And they’re not stopping there, Egyptian authorities are also arresting the head honchos of the drug trade making it more difficult to spread marijuana on the streets. So, what does this mean for the dealers who can get their hands on the drug and consumers? A hike in prices. The cost of eight to twelve grams has more than doubled this year.

Apg_pot_egypt_100505_main It’s not clear why there has been this sudden crack down on the narcotic. Some claim that the government is holding onto the loot and cashing in on the short supplies. Others are taking a more cynical view saying that these types of drug busts happen right before a public holiday when the bean counters look at the books. The more arrests and crimes solved the more money in the pockets of those in charge. Because both theories involve officials, they are hard to corroborate. A call in to the interior ministry resulted in the run around and being transferred from one department to another. No one would answer my questions.

As the dry spell continues, some in the media are taking advantage of the situation and taking a crack at the smokers. One local newspaper featured an article about how they’re dealing with withdrawals. In case you’re wondering, some smokers have swapped their hash for alcohol and pills. People have been grumbling about the mood swings they are now forced to deal with.

Perhaps my favorite paragraph on this story comes from a Mr. Waleed Marzouk of Masry Al Youm (Egypt Today), where he says ‘’It remains to be seen whether these latest crackdowns are a serious commitment to a drug-free Egypt or little more than an elaborate public relations stunt. The general consensus seems to be that the government will flood the market with hashish soon enough, and return to its tried and tested policy of opiating the masses, especially in an election year.’’

fractal

fractal

I can't imagine sitting in the sandy, dusty heat of egypt and not having hash to smoke.

WTF are people doing living in the desert anyways, they should relocate closer to the hash fields.

jah_hoover

jah_hoover

Gotta feel sorry for these egyptian stoners..

Amagine sitting in the night infront of the sphinx without no weed lol

Mr.Sputnik

Mr.Sputnik

You buy herb from bedouins and knock the sand/seeds out of it. That country is so fucked it's laughable. Some guys I knew in college were egyptian. They had a friend get arrested with pot and he was facing hard time. well, they couldn't find the key to the jail cell to lock him up, so they ended up letting him go.

A guard at their high school fell asleep on a rifle and blew his head off.

BUT, you can bribe yourself out of most anything if you know some arabic.

Strange country, definitely still worth visiting.

forknowledge

forknowledge

Somebody tell Texas Kid to get a perpetual grow going in Egypt soon theyll be grinning lol.

F

foolsgold

sound like what happened here in tha states during the 80's. it was like over night the price for a quad went from $20 to being $60, and now it's like $100. shit happens, and sometimes the government actually gets lucky.

BC_Bud

BC_Bud

Premium Member
Supporter
Same shit is happening here in Brazil after they started cracking down really hard and busting all the large crops and major distributors of herbs coming into Brazil from Paraguay. Due to this bullshit policy, the major distributors are now focusing on shipping crack. Less volume, higher, faster profits. I haven't had to buy herbs for a long time but I been hearing quite often from friends and reading news articles stating that there has been almost no herbs going around in Brazil since around last January.

This same this happened back around 2002, and then prices suddenly went up after over a decade of stable prices. Now apparently prices went up again. People pay more for lower quality herbs... cocaine or crack, that shit is everywhere, way easier to find than good herbs! it's a sad situation for those who don't grow their own.

C

CAPO

Another good article CaliSmoke!

Really is some weird shit if you think about it. Egyptian authorities have always been tolerant of the hash trade. Think of all those beautiful blocks of Moroccan and Lebanese in all sorts of colors.mmmmmmm!
If I were to rationalize what's happening.....my best idea is that the folks with the authority to suffocate trade routes, threaten or arrest suppliers, and have the power to seize shipments or holds are making their move. Could be politicians consorting with big money-holders. The idea is to seize and store major drug supplies, be it hash or heroin. This limits availability on the streets and raises prices. Then after some time they sell the supplies they've been hoarding at an accelerated price, making twice the profit of what street dealers use to make with no overhead.
Somebodies trying to come up.

Bad economy?....it means the same thing in every country.

J

jack the reaper

I can't imagine sitting in the sandy, dusty heat of egypt and not having hash to smoke.

WTF are people doing living in the desert anyways, they should relocate closer to the hash fields.

they established irrigation canals 5000 years ago and their doing pretty good where they are, all things considered. wonderful country, breathtaking scenery, amazing antiquities good food and warm and genuinely hospital people.

the hash fields are all over that region, in and around egypt. and pretty much all (ancient) trade routes go through her.

H

happyinmendo

Sounds like the CIA found a new market to sell all the seized afghan supply.

urbanite420

urbanite420

Please...CIA has nil to no interest in hash or MMJ. the money that funds their programs comes from cocaine and heroin........uh..probly shouldnt b sayin shit like that or what scoming but its real. Damn I'll get into even more shit for this: maybe the Isrealis are cuttin off supplies as a negative morale strategy.

rollajoint

rollajoint

Please...CIA has nil to no interest in hash or MMJ. the money that funds their programs comes from cocaine and heroin........uh..probly shouldnt b sayin shit like that or what scoming but its real. Damn I'll get into even more shit for this: maybe the Isrealis are cuttin off supplies as a negative morale strategy.

Intresting quote my freind . Passing the problem on to other countries to fund their programs but wat i dont get is most major drug cartels try to get it back into america and the CIA think they are winning the war on drugs ? haha how :sign0055: up lol Sorry for blabbing on .
RJ

C

Chalwa

Will someone let the folks know that Cannabis or hash is not a "narcotic" as they refered to it? This is just part of the smear campaign. I do not want Cannabis to be confused as a Narcotic. In Idaho a few years back they tried to give a guy a DUI for driving while on Cannabis. His lawyer got him off because the law stated that it was illegal to drive under the influence of Alchohol or Narcotics. Since Cannabis is not a narcotic, it was not illegal under the law at the time. This law has since been changed in its wording. It is not legal now.

B

buda monkey

i believe one day the assholes that r behind the games(war on drugs ) will be exposed for the hypocrites they r and we will be free of the bullshit drug laws that only fuel the fire and line ther pockets . in my opinion just like any conspiracy or crime follow the $$$ .
funny thing is if we treeted herb like a vegtable or a fruit ther would be no issue what we put in our bodies is our rite, whether we agree with the substance or not should be no difrent than if you like turkey or not .
Blaze 1 for the nation & 2 for Egypt

HeadGrow

HeadGrow

very interesting and sad. Knowing virtually nothing about Egypts climate, I wonder what kind of herb grows in egypt? I know that many kush strains started from the middle eastern regions but I'm not sure what Egypt has produced.

AND, how do you make 7 tones of hash?!? that would take as much man power as it would to build a pyramid by hand.........oh.....wait a sec :)

H

Hydrotech364

Gotta feel sorry for these egyptian stoners..

Amagine sitting in the night infront of the sphinx without no weed lol

Yep no bath in weeks,Goats are better looking than the hags and cant score a gram for shit.I think thats the same reasons Moses bailed.:sign0023:

Top Bottom