Electrical Enigma

• Thread starter Jack Dupp
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jack Dupp

Jack Dupp

Howdy folks,

I've got a real head-scratcher of a problem at the moment, and could use some collective advise to figure it out.

I am running 2 Galaxy Select-a-Watt ballasts (set at 600w) , 2 XtraSun batwing reflectors, and 2 Ushio 600w bulbs. Each ballast is plugged into it's own outlet, and is controlled by a digital timer.

Yesterday when I did my morning check of my garden, I found one of the lights not on. The first thing I checked was the timer and it was in order. The next thing I did was check the "reset" button on the ballast. It had not been tripped. Next I changed out the bulb. That did not work.

The only spare ballast I have is an XtraSun 1000w switchable MH/HPS magnetic ballast. I removed the digital ballast and replaced it with the magnetic. Hooked up the socket cord and installed a 1000w HPS bulb. Came back 10 min. later. Nothing. I bypassed the timer and plugged straight into the outlet. Nothing.
I checked that the outlet was delivering power with both voltage detector and a volt meter. The outlet was getting power. I changed out the batwing and socket cord for another hood and cord, plugged them in and screwed in the 1K HPS bulb. Nothing.

At this time I contacted my electrical buddy and had him walk me through testing continuity of every cord that I had used and all were fine. I figured by now it must be the bulbs. So I try 3 different bulbs; one 1k HPS, one 1K MH, one 600w HPS. None of them work. My sparky buddy was at a loss, and I had a splitting headache, so I resolve to fix it in the morning.

Today I bring in both ballasts, the 3 bulbs, and the batwing and socket, to an outlet that I know works.I try out all the different combinations and check continuity from socket to plug to see if I had missed something. Nothing worked. So I go out to my grow to grab a bulb, that I know works, before the timer kicks on. I bring that bulb to check it with both ballasts and neither one fires it. I replace the good bulb back in my grow and when the timer kicked, it lit up.

At present, I cannot figure out if I have 3 bulbs that don't work, or 2 ballasts, or both. I'm heading to a local grow shop to see if they can figure it out, or have the digi ballast sent back to Sun Systems. Any advise or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.

Jack Dupp

Jack Dupp

Problem solved.

MODS please delete this thread.

Thank you.

Jack Dupp

Jack Dupp

I purchased a new ballast. Ha!

So I had a primary ballast go out, and my backup ballast was also out. Since one was a digital, it can't be repaired. Also I purchased it second-hand so no warranty. Life goes on.

Thanks for asking Seamaiden.

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

yep bad ballasts...which can fuck up many things. Fuck ballasts, always get ones with warranties

J

Jalisco Kid

What was wrong with the mag ballast, you should have been able to get a cap or igniter for it. JK

Latest posts

Top Bottom