Emerald Cup Entries Failed For Pesticides

• Thread starter motherlode
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
I was at the cup over the weekend - Had a great time and met a ton of cool folks, some I have chatted with on the net since 08 but had never met in RL - but this thread isnt about that...

it was noted during the awards that 17% of entries failed due to mold and/or pesticides and it was obvious they didnt have enough time to prevent the judges from smoking these entries bc we were told that any positive entries were removed from the top 20 (so you want to be a judge at a cup??)

there is a decent amount of entries that are still waiting for test results as of compiling this list – enough that Im sure there will be more failed tests then listed here

I copied and pasted this from the emerald cup site - this is just from the 477 the flower entries - there were plenty of concentrates and edibles that tested positive as well including all but ONE entry for dry sift

I can understand and forgive mold - but how the fuck are you going to enter a organic event if you used eagle 20 or avid

FL155
LAB TESTS FAILED: PESTICIDE
WHITE YETI
By SHANDY OTTO, EMERALD FAMILY FARMS/DRAGON WITH MATCHES

FL166
DURBAN POISON
By SHANDY OTTO, EMERALD FAMILY FARMS/DRAGON WITH MATCHES

FL158
ALIEN BLUES
By GREGORY BEAM, G.O.A.T. FARMS

CBDF23
HARLE TSU #3
By RYAN, EMERALD FAMILY FARMS

FL198
UNDERDOG OG
By TERRY'S TRINITY ALPS FARM

FL63
DURBAN POISON
By RYAN/CORTNEY SAYRE, EMERALD FAMILY FARMS

FL151
BLUEBERRY OG
By CORTNEY SAYRE, DRAGON WITH MATCHES/EMERALD FAMILY FARMS

FL252
YETI OG
By CORTNEY SAYRE, DRAGON WITH MATCHES/EMERALD FAMILY FARMS

FL111
TANGIE
By CANNABIOTIX

FL108
SUPER BLUE DREAM
By CANNABIOTIX

FL110
ORANGE CRUSH
By CANNABIOTIX

FL96
MANDARIN MINT
By CANNABIOTIX

FL116
ORANGE ZETA
By CANNABIOTIX

FL219
STARBURST OG
By JOSEPH BARCLAY, ROYAL BUDLINE

FL41
SOURCAT OG
By TYLER TOLLOW, MENDO SOUR POWER

FL41
SOURCAT OG
By TYLER TOLLOW, MENDO SOUR POWER

FL47
LAB TESTS FAILED: MICROBIAL, PESTICIDE
OLD SCHOOL DUB
By BEST FRIEND

FL286
ANGEL FOOD CAKE
By BEST FRIEND

FL118
OLD SCHOOL STAR DAWG
By BEST FRIEND

FL264
STRAWBERRY DAIQUIRI
By RX C TERRY & ROBBIN/SAN DEGIE/CHAD CM, BIG DADDY CM NUGZ

FL98
LARRY OG
By LISA MARIE GONZALES, THE HAWGS BREATH COMPANY

FL204
TROPICANNA
By CANNABIOTIX

FL288
CITRUS OG
By TERRY LYNN, RX-C

CBDF56
THE MEDICINE OF THE PEOPLE #33
By CALIFORNIA CONNOISSEUR GENETICS

CBDF32
HARLEQUIN
By RON KENNEDY, CATALYST UNLIMITED

FL69
GIRL SCOUT
By RON KENNEDY, CATALYST UNLIMITED

FL196
BLUE DREAM
By LEATRICE GOOD, ELK RIDGE HOLISTIC/EMERALD FAMILY FARMS

FL67
GIRL SCOUT COOKIE
By LEATRICE GOOD, ELK RIDGE HOLISTIC/EMERALD FAMILY FARMS

FL59
SUNSET SHERBET
By LEWIS LINCOLN, HHG COOPERATIVE

FL147
BLACKBERRY FIRE THAI
By SNOWHIGH SEEDS

FL321
CRAB EYE COOKIES
By MAXX POEHLMANN

FL379
C.A.G.G. OG
By CALIFORNIA GROWERS GUILD MBC

FL351
POISON
By KARL WITT, EDEN FARMS COOPERATIVE

FL404
SISTER DARKNESS
By ZACHARIJ FRANKLIN, FRANKLIN FAMILY FARMS

FL356
SEANY BOY SOUR OG
By SEAN SHAEFFER/AST SHAEFFER/LUIS HILDAGO

FL408
MIDAS
By RHETT LOHSE, BUSH WHACKER PHARMS

FL413
SOUR BUBBLE
By RHETT LOHSE, BUSH WHACKER PHARMS

CBDF46
SOUR TSUNAMI X #4
By LEMPIRE FARMASEED

CBDF48
MLB
By LEMPIRE FARMASEED

CBDF45
CRS
By LEMPIRE FARMASEED

CBDF43
SOUR TSU CROSSBACK #7
By LEMPIRE FARMASEED

FL141
MOONSHINE HAZE
By HIGH NOON COLLECTIVE, JOHN P. SHANNON

FL174
GOLDEN GOAT
By HIGH NOON COLLECTIVE, JOHN P. SHANNON

FL267
HOLLYWEED
By TRUE HEARS CO-LLABINOIDS

FL84
BERMUDA TRIANGLE
By STEVEN P. DODD, TWO LIONS FARMS

CBDF16
CANNA-TSU
By TRUE HEARS CO-LLABINOIDS

CBDF13
REDOX
By HEIDI

FL143
OG OCEAN GROWN
By ZION WOOLDRIDGE/PEACE MOUNTAIN MEDICINAL

FL112
RIDGE ORGANICS BLACK CHERRY KUSH
By JOE FLORIO

FL168
CHERRY OG
By MAT HUMPHREY

FL162
SANGRIA
By MENDOCINO STRAIN GAME

FL165
SUNSET SHERBET
By PHILLIP ZIPPERIAN WITH HUMBOLDTS FINEST

CBDF13
REDOX
By HEIDI

FL143
OG OCEAN GROWN
By ZION WOOLDRIDGE/PEACE MOUNTAIN MEDICINAL

FL9
CHEMURKLE
By LITTLE HILL CULTIVATORS

FL37
EAST BORN WEST GROWN GARDENS
By THOMAS ZANGLER SCADUTO & ALEX CORPORAN

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

Not defending any failed entries by any means, but just some thoughts...

Isn't this a contest for outdoor herb? It isn't surprising to hear so many failed...

Regarding all the positive pesticide tests, is anyone aware of how much myclobutanil is sprayed from planes in California? During a drought when mold is rampant and the air is dry and absorbing moisture I'd be amazed if myclobutanil and other poisons aren't drifting into peoples gardens...

Did the emerald cup tests test exclusively for myclo and abamectin? You can test for just about every commercial pesticide and fungicide out there, even organic ones

Also sort of a bummer to see so many people fail mold tests...want to point out though...most microbial tests will test for gram-positivebacteria too, which will fail you if you spray any kind of microbial products on flowers too late. I've personally had bud tested that was sprayed with some great (living 12 hr brew, no poo-smell) compost tea and test positive for e. Coli, wouldn't suprise me at all to find out that's the case with lots of probiotic farmers.

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
If its in the air i would suspect a greater failure rate. I think its products these farmers use to insure they harvest as a lot of money is on the line when you are growing 25 multi pound plants.
Emerald family farms sounds like a poison spraying fam...shame shame...

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
@We Solidarity it is very surprising to hear that 11% of entries failed for things like eagle 20, avid and the like in an organic growers cup - sorry but Im not buying over spray

The published pages arent specific - the cup and entrants all got detailed reports - several pages for each entry

during the award ceremony he mentioned things such as avid and eagle 20 - there is also supposed to be from my understanding testing for non-organic type fertilizers and boosters

an example of a failed entry

heres the cups link to all the testing

I honestly dont know specifically what sc labs tests for or how - but heres the cups guideline for entering

TESTING PROTOCOL AND DISQUALIFICATION THRESHOLDS

Cannabis testing provides our judges with important information about the safety, quality, and potency of your medicine. It also helps confirm the integrity of our organic and sustainably-minded cannabis competition. The Emerald Cup 2015 has adopted disqualification thresholds based on AHPA guidance policies for herbal products and prospective regulatory standards under recently passed laws. Disqualified entries will not be returned for any reason. More information on testing procedures is available at www.sclabs.com.
Pesticide Testing
  • For the health and safety of our judges and our community, all entries in all flower, concentrate, tincture, and topical categories will undergo pesticide testing.
  • Testing detects pesticides using high performance liquid chromatography in conjunction with tandem mass spectrometry (LC/MS/MS.)
  • Your entry will be immediately disqualified if any of the following pesticides, fungicides, or plant-growth regulators are detected: acequinocyl, bifenazate, pyrethrium, daminozide, spirotetramat, fenoxycarb, paclobutrazol, spiromesifen, spinosad, abamectin, imidacloprid, or myclobutanil.
Microbiological Screening
  • For the health and safety of our judges and our community, all entries in all categories will undergo microbiological screening.
  • Testing detects yeasts, molds, bacteria, and fungi using 3M Petrifilm and other AOAC accepted plating methods.
  • Your entry will be immediately disqualified if:
    • Total Yeast and Mold > 100,000 colony-forming units per gram (cfu); or
    • Total Aerobic Plate Count > 10,00,000 cfu; or
    • Pseudomonas/Shigella > 10,000 cfu; or
    • Coliforms > 10,000 cfu; or
    • E. Coli > 0 cfu; or
    • Salmonella > 0 cfu.
Residual Solvents Testing
  • For the health and safety of our judges and our community, all entries in all concentrate categories will undergo residual solvent testing.
  • Testing detects residual solvents using gas chromatography in conjunction with headspace sampling.
  • Your entry will be immediately disqualified if any of the following solvents are detected: neopentane, isopentane, ethanol, isobutane, n-pentane, cyclohexane, benzene, n-butane, 2-methylpentane, propane, methanol, n-heptane, n-hexane, 2,2-dimethylbutane, 3-methylpentane, or isopropanol.
Potency Testing
  • In order to provide useful information to our judges and our community, all entries in all categories will undergo potency testing.
  • Testing will detect levels of THC, THCA, CBD, CBDA, and CBN using high performance liquid chromatography.
  • Your CBD entry (in any CBD category) will be disqualified if potency testing reveals a CBD:THC ratio of less than one (i.e. Relatively less CBD than THC).
Terpenes
  • In order to provide useful information to our judges and our community, all entries in all flower and concentrate categories will undergo terpene testing.
  • Testing will detect levels of the following terpenes using gas chromatography/flame ionized detection: nerolidol, β-pinene, p-cymene, isopulgeol, geranyl acetate, fenchol, pulegone, menthol, α-humulene, α-bisabolol, (+)-3-carene, (-) caryophyllene oxide, α-pinene, eucalyptol, myrcene, terpinolene, β-caryophyllene, limonene, geraniol, linalool, (+) valencene, camphene, sabinene, guaiol, phytol, terpineol, camphor, isoborneol, α-terpinene, α-phellandrene, and α-cedrene.
Organic Ingredients
  • Any edible, topical, or tincture entry found to contain inorganic ingredients, other than those allowed under National Organic Program standards, will be immediately disqualified. The National List of Allowed and Prohibited Substances can be found at 7 CFR §205.605-6.
Indoor Cannabis
  • Any entry found to contain cannabis that is not sun-grown will be immediately disqualified.

Blaze

Blaze

motherlode said:
I honestly dont know specifically what sc labs tests for or how - but heres the cups guideline for entering

Pesticides, fungicides and plant growth regulators are tested using High Performance Liquid Chromatography Mass Spectrometry. The following are what was tested for:

Acequinocyl
Pyrethrium
Spirotetramat
Paclobutrazol
Spinosad
Imidacloptrid
Bifenazate
Daminozide
Fenoxycarb
Spiromesifen
Abamectin
Myclobutanil

The five main cannabinoids of Delta-9 THC, THCa, CBD, CBDa, and CBN were tested using High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC). A total of 34 terpenes were also profiled using Gas Chromatography - Flame Ionization Detection (GC-FID).

SC labs has a good video on youtube explaining how it is all done:

R

rascali

[LIST]
[*][/LIST]
[LIST]
[/LIST]
Ohhh, SC labs did the testing? I see the problem now, SC is just inflating the pesticide and mold results by the same amount they exaggerate the thc levels… (lol)

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

I don't condone using pesticides, especially the bad ones.

However this year I was getting hit by broad mites and I didn't want to take any chance. I sprayed Avid and another chemical right before flower, in July. I also sprayed azamax through Aug, and Og Bio war and spinosad up to harvest. All my flowers have tested clean, twice from two different labs. I tested everything, and Harborside has been re-testing everything.

So long story short, what are these guys doing to make their flowers fail? Spraying Avid on buds? No honor in this game with some folks.

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

I don't condone using pesticides, especially the bad ones.

However this year I was getting hit by broad mites and I didn't want to take any chance. I sprayed Avid and another chemical right before flower, in July. I also sprayed azamax through Aug, and Og Bio war and spinosad up to harvest. All my flowers have tested clean, twice from two different labs. I tested everything, and Harborside has been re-testing everything.

So long story short, what are these guys doing to make their flowers fail? Spraying Avid on buds? No honor in this game with some folks.

Then on top of spraying on flowers, they enter these buds into a cup......Delusional.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Ok, I'm kinda tripping out because SC Labs is the lab I used, and I use both Bt and Spinosad on the regular once they get deep into flower, but mine tested negative. So I find myself wondering what the factors are that go into testing positive here.

I would agree with the idea that this is to be expected with OD herb, except I grow pretty much exclusively outdoors using organic methods. I don't spray my flowers themselves with compost teas, but I do use various teas and since they're fermented for the most part, I should expect all manner of microbes to be present. But, my flowers test out clean. I have neighbors up in these mountains that use crap like Round-Up, but nothing's present on my flowers.

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
only had mold once when greenhouse was flooded. Have never sprayed with anything but neem and stopped using only briefly pest strips long ago.....have never seem bugs on OD plants...
must be the HIGH mountain dry desert climate..

Blaze

Blaze

It's not just about *what* you spray, but how and when it is applied. Even non-organic pesticides and fungicides can be safe IF used responsibly. As more and more testing is done and more info becomes available we will start to get a better idea of what is safe to apply to cannabis and at what stage of growth.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
A good way of getting rid of mites if you have a greenhouse is to turn up the CO2 for a short while off and on. It doesn`t kill eggs but if you do it often enough they hatch out and die. Mold can be controlled by having HEPA filters and using ultraviolet light on your air intake. I also use sulfur burners during veg.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Ok, I'm kinda tripping out because SC Labs is the lab I used, and I use both Bt and Spinosad on the regular once they get deep into flower, but mine tested negative. So I find myself wondering what the factors are that go into testing positive here.

I would agree with the idea that this is to be expected with OD herb, except I grow pretty much exclusively outdoors using organic methods. I don't spray my flowers themselves with compost teas, but I do use various teas and since they're fermented for the most part, I should expect all manner of microbes to be present. But, my flowers test out clean. I have neighbors up in these mountains that use crap like Round-Up, but nothing's present on my flowers.

Thought BT and Spinosad were considered organic?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
To the best of my knowledge, they are. For edible foods and anything they're actually labeled for use on, they're ok. Nothing is labeled for use on cannabis, so if one's goal is to grow in strict accordance with organic laws and rules, no such product can be used. Anything that's not reportable, however, can be used. Plant essential oils fall into this category, for example, while compost does not.

Dunge

Dunge

I seem to be missing a part of this thread.
Was it one pesticide that got them all rejected, or what?

Looks to me like it may be a rules change that got them all kicked out.
How could this many growers screw up at the same time?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
It's ANY pesticides or positive mold results that get a sample rejected.

How could this many growers screw up at the same time? Bro science!

Top Bottom