Enclosed locked facility greenhouse questions

• Thread starter Herban Legend
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

Herban Legend

Someday in the next year or two I hope to build a greenhouse in Michigan but we have to have our medicinal plants in an enclosed locked facility. One such grow was busted this year due to the pigs being able to see a small part of the garden through a hole in the roof of the greenhouse from a helicopter (i know stupid right). Some counties here are more leniant than others.

So my questions are, what types of greenhouse frame and material would be somewhat secure as well as let enough light through without letting prying eyes see whats inside.

Thanks in advance for any help planning this.

CheechWizard

CheechWizard

You'll have many options my friend. You're probably going to still want to call up and get samples sent to you. hopefully this will get you started in the right direction. Here you go, in order of dopeness :rasta2:

1. Farmtek has a rip-stop film. you can buy it from them as a kit with a greenhouse frame or by the foot.

2. Another option is solex hard plastic, good for smaller structures. little on the expensive side.

3. Agribond row cover. its a spun fabric. same shit as the bottom of your sofa. It's white and used for row cover. You can put it behind clear plastic and it will block visibility.

4. Last option is Koolray paint you can spray it on at: 1/16 paint/water mix. play around a bit with the mixture it washes off and you can do more than one coat.

Thing is with most coverings if a leaf pushes up against the side it will create a silhouette. Not sure if this is a 'violation' in MI. what I have done is run plastic chicken wire on the back side of the covering to keep the leaves from touching the film. not sure if that's a concern to you.

Now I have given you all my secrets. j/k.....lol. nah wish I had this info when I started my first gh.

almost forgot.. if the oinkers are flyin birds real close to your house. you should cement that gh in the ground. A friend of mine had is gh almost crushed by a copter trying to push it over; they create a lot of wind. ohhh and get a kite. good luck. :party0042:

-CW

H

Herban Legend

Here is another question, what type of flooring is preferred? I plan to use raised pots, possibly air pots 50gal or so. Would concrete or gravel be a better option.

Thanks

CheechWizard

CheechWizard

Use woven landscape fabric. It'll suppress the weeds, keep dust down and won't cost you an arm and a leg.

B

BigCountry

Also consider drainage. Gravel with radiant heat and a good drainage system is costly, but effective. You don't want a bunch of puddles and mud in your greenhouse.Also, If your root temps are OK in early spring, then you can run a cooler temp in the greenhouse...

T

Toes

Use woven landscape fabric. It'll suppress the weeds, keep dust down and won't cost you an arm and a leg.

Also consider drainage. Gravel with radiant heat ...

these two ideas are the perfect green house floor IMHO.

Ground cover the square footage. then pea gravel over top... any thing bigger than pea gravel hurts my bare feet :) Work some water proof propagation mats in there for the winter grows and.... boom selecta

here's my existing floor
100_0639.JPG
<---- a work in progress

the brick pavers are easy to sweep off, but too much trash gets in those cracks and holes.

cc503

cc503

I thought for radiant heat you would need a concrete pad to act as a conductor , and that gravel made the radiant heat super innefective

Sunbaked

Sunbaked

I have a 8x8 built like a pole shed only cover it with plastic corrugated panels bought at home depot. I dig holes in the floor and put soil mix in the holes. But I also had to fence all around it with stockade fence so it could not be seen. so now I grow in the greenhouse as well as outside ,but inside the fencing. love my garden. outdoor the GREEN way.

T

toyota40runner

I used built a frame, put a metal fencing 2"x4" grates over the frame then covered the greenhouse in soles. I pull air through pleated filter of intake to keep the greenhouse clean and you can't ever smell or see a thing.

ubi

ubi

first build big privacy fence wood or chainlink with privacy net.
Then put galvanized chainlink fence, in between the galvanized post/poles of gh, then rap with plastic. would be perpetrator cuts plastic to find chainlink. well better get the bolt cutters. here in colo. that makes a lockable enclosed building (in some counties).
or just a hard polycarbonate wall will work too.

Irish063

Irish063

first build big privacy fence wood or chainlink with privacy net.
Then put galvanized chainlink fence, in between the galvanized post/poles of gh, then rap with plastic. would be perpetrator cuts plastic to find chainlink. well better get the bolt cutters. here in colo. that makes a lockable enclosed building (in some counties).
or just a hard polycarbonate wall will work too.
Ubi- nice Sealab 2020 pic. That show was hilarious.
I'm being lazy. Do you have a site I can go to for here in CO that will list what constitutes for a lockable structure. I had a greenhouse last year that had a door so I wasn't worried but I want to build a new setup this year. Felt like mine blocked too much light. Thanks for any help.

Latest posts

Top Bottom