End of flowering for blueberry kush

• Thread starter BerryKUSHguy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

BerryKUSHguy

So, this was my first season growing outside and WOW what a difference! A grape soda plant I had just yielded a quarter pound and didn’t get planted until mid to end of July!

So I was fortunate enough to get a seed out of this amazing blueberry OG (blueberry:kush hybrid from LA pac boys) it started even later than everything else and it is at about 7-8 weeks of flowering and finally starting to have dense buds. Up in NY first frost is right around the corner! My my question is should I trim the fan leaves to get more sun to the bud sets they’re blocking this close to flowering? And would moving the plant affect anything? (Thinking of moving it to spot where the grape soda did a QP)

Input is greatly appreciated!

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I have always found that direct light equates to bigger/heftier buds. With that being said, I would remove as few leaves as possible to open up the spaces for light to penetrate. I'm not too far away and growing is about done outdoors. There comes a time when going indoors (if it is an option) is best if you are running out of outdoor growing time. I have had plants going into November near Erie, but the plants didn't really do much growing after mid October.
So, yes, I would remove a few leaves if it will benefit some of the bud sites that aren't getting as much sun as they could... but not too many leaves as it provides energy and nutrients to the plant, especially during flowering. Moving indoors is probably your best option if you can do it.

B

BerryKUSHguy

I have always found that direct light equates to bigger/heftier buds. With that being said, I would remove as few leaves as possible to open up the spaces for light to penetrate. I'm not too far away and growing is about done outdoors. There comes a time when going indoors (if it is an option) is best if you are running out of outdoor growing time. I have had plants going into November near Erie, but the plants didn't really do much growing after mid October.
So, yes, I would remove a few leaves if it will benefit some of the bud sites that aren't getting as much sun as they could... but not too many leaves as it provides energy and nutrients to the plant, especially during flowering. Moving indoors is probably your best option if you can do it.
Like I said I'm in NYC, and everything went amazing and since the blueberry Kush is such a long flowering strain it is only now fully developing, but even as recently as 2 weeks ago it was barely out of its "mohawk" stage and nothing more than a collection of pistols that had only just started to develop and get more density. This plant can't go in doors but its going to finish outside in the first week of November we are getting a late onset of the first continuous frost this season over here. I'm not concerned about the flowering process continuing, my concern is whether to take off some gigantic fan leaves the thing has that I have bent behind a few good flower sets but they keep coming undone. This is the youngest and last plant at the end of a great season, and I have never topped or trimmed this one only because I never wanted to slow it down or stunt it in anyway because of its very limited window. I am just really torn whether I should take a couple of the big fan leaves off to get some more sun to the spots it needed it. I did however move the plant to a spot today that gets a decent amount more sun than where it has lived its 2.5 month life thus far. So off with them? Or don't chance it?

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Like I said I'm in NYC, and everything went amazing and since the blueberry Kush is such a long flowering strain it is only now fully developing, but even as recently as 2 weeks ago it was barely out of its "mohawk" stage and nothing more than a collection of pistols that had only just started to develop and get more density. This plant can't go in doors but its going to finish outside in the first week of November we are getting a late onset of the first continuous frost this season over here. I'm not concerned about the flowering process continuing, my concern is whether to take off some gigantic fan leaves the thing has that I have bent behind a few good flower sets but they keep coming undone. This is the youngest and last plant at the end of a great season, and I have never topped or trimmed this one only because I never wanted to slow it down or stunt it in anyway because of its very limited window. I am just really torn whether I should take a couple of the big fan leaves off to get some more sun to the spots it needed it. I did however move the plant to a spot today that gets a decent amount more sun than where it has lived its 2.5 month life thus far. So off with them? Or don't chance it?
This late in the season with just a few weeks remaining, I don't think that keeping or removing fan leaves would make much difference... its a trade off. You either get slightly more buds from increased light distribution, or you get larger buds(but fewer) by trimming them back. Like I said, in late October, outside in NY, it isn't going to make much difference.

B

BerryKUSHguy

So do you think its worth even trying to ride it out into the first week of november? Or take my probably 20-28 grams and pack it in? Its been on flush only for about a week (distilled water) Gonna update with photos in a couple minutes.

B

BerryKUSHguy

I was told by a long term grower that it would be advantageous and I can avoid the first frost by putting it in the shed where it is above freezing temperatures and take it out early each morning (so as to never let it have to try and sustain below 32 degrees). It sounds like a music chair/hide and seek game to grab an extra 10 days or so of sun to finish off. Now almost all of the others I have had some issue or other with catipillars which seems to have caused bud rot I took a decent hit and had to finish my largest early, Still though, EVERYTHING has yielded above and beyond what I thought it could/would and what I was even told. From what I can tell the youngest and last standing hasn't been afflicted. I figured these facts would help anyone reading this understand my circumstances. Thanks.

Madbud

Madbud

Colder temps might add some color. I have one left in the ground outside Boston and plan to let her go full cycle to a frost. Why not, it was a very good summer. Just pinch any leaves that are dead or diseased.

Top Bottom