Entering Flowering, Humidity Issues, How To Remedey && Future Propogation Of The Garden

• Thread starter shades
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
shades

shades

Hello,
6-
I have a 4'x4' tent. Inside the tent I have 13 plants. Originally I had started with 20 plants. The growths were staggered but probably by too much. I'm limited on space and equipment. Plants 1, 2, 4, have been placed outside the day of the equinox to enter flowering. They are able to get direct light for 75% of the day. The tent has been on 18/6 for another week. Finally flipped the main tent to 12/12. Plants 7, 16, 17, 18 have been moved out of the 4'x4' tent into the closet under a smaller (hopefully adequate light) to continue vegging under 18/6. 7 may have been stunted due to nutrient issues early in it's growth. Plants 1, 2, 4 will continue to live outside until the first frost. 2 and 4 turned out to be males and an attempt to harvest pollen will be made from the healthier looking one.

The seeds all came from a jar I had been placing seeds into that I have found in high quality bud that has either accidentally hermied or been pollinated. I have just three indicas out of this harvest. Plants 3, 5, 6, 7 appear to be my only indicas while the rest are sativas. I have a grow log but I haven't digitized everything yet.

I overcame some nutrient issues but I am perpetually struggling with humidity issues. I have an ivation https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079V7WV1N/ref=ox_sc_act_title_16?smid=A2LM6ZPY06LT1N&psc=1 dehumidifier. It's supposed to do 71 CFM. My exhaust system is an AC Infinity T4 Cloudline https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZXWN3BG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_17?smid=A2AW0W4FKP16S5&psc=1 which does 205 CFM.

I set the Ivation to 40% RH and It's currently reading 53%. The cloudline is reporting 65% humidity. The sensor is above the canopy right in front of the exhaust. Inside the tent I have now placed 2 120mm fans on one end, pointed up so the canopy can get airflow. I like this better than the oscilating fan that I also have inside the tent because the computer fans don't blow as strong but blow constantly. The whole floor is raised about 11" for the north half of it the south half having younger plants is up another 6"-8" or so. In that space is some duct work with a double diffuser grill conected to some 3" dryer duct that goes to one of the intake ports on my tent. In that intake port is another 120mm fan. On the south end of the grow tent I laid the oscilating fan next to the inlet to get some more direct airflow going into the tent. On the west end of the tent just on the outside of the tent I have two more 120mm fans propped up on a little plastic box so they are sitting right in front of the tent's intake port. Before it was just pure negative pressure from just the cloud line, now I have 3x120mm fans pulling air in, one 12" oscilating fan set to not oscilate and just pull in air from the south intake port, There are two 120 mm fans inside the tent providing airflow on the north end, there is one 120mm fan responsible for the airflow on the south end. There is no pooling water anywhere, as I'm hand watering every plant, and when I do so, I water until runoff, but it sits on top of a tupperware collection dish that I place under the plant, for each plant, every time I water, I also get a before/after weight measurement. I get EC/PPM readings from this.

So onto the humidity issue. . .

Each time I water everything, it takes a day or so before the humidity stabalizes around 49%/50%. With the fan placement now inside of that tent it's like a mini data center. There is constant airflow going upward with no dead pockets anywhere. Before I just had the cloudline, then it was the small oscilating fan, then it was also the 5x 120mm computer fans. The problem was worse when I had more plants in there. Two of the exhaust ports on the tent are connected to 3" dryer duct which is pulled taught and connected to the box that the dehumidifier came in. The holes that were cut for this ductwork are right in front of the inlet ports on the dehumidifier. There is a piece of styrofoam sitting in between the dehumidifer and the box, completely isolating the inlet ports (and humidity sensor inside the unit) from the exhaust port on the dehumidifier, which is just the top of the box. There are no air leaks from the cloudline. The dehumidifer outputs the air directly into my room instead of back into the tent because that just now dried air will be exhausted immediately by the cloudline. Even I bring the cloudline down to half speed or 40% speed to match the output of the dehumidifier I still can't crack <50% RH until it's been at *least* 12-15 hours since the last watering. The tent sits in my room about 1.5'-2' from two walls. There are some cardboard walls setup isolating this pocket between the grow tent and wall from the rest of my room so that the dehumidified air fills up this pocket which isolates the tent's intake ports from the rest of my room. It's not completely air tight and I'm wondering if I'd be better off removing the cardboard housing from this little pocket where the humidifier is and just putting in another oscilating fan to mix the RH content of the entire room. The volume of said pocket is about the same volume as the grow tent. My room's volume is 8'x10'x13' with a closet attached that's not counted towards these dimensions (as it's closed all the time). The dehumidifer I have is suppose to handle a whole room. It's constantly pulling out water so I do see it working but I just don't see it working, hard enough. I'm hoping that I'm going to be able to achieve some sort of system where the dehumidifed air goes into an area equal to or greater than the volume of the tent which gets lowered to the appropriate RH and then gets pulled into the tent which has the high humidity, which is also being exhausted out side. Earlier at the tail end of summer I was able to just drop the humidity quickly by setting up the cloudline to operate at any speed greater than 8. Where I live, climate zone 6B as shitty as the humid summers are, weather forecast data actually shows winters being even more humid than the summers, and I'm noticing this as I don't see my RH drop when I increase the speed, as it did earlier in the year. I increased the air circulation inside the tent hoping that this would get any stagnant humid pockets up and into the cloudline or ivation. The ivation pulls in air from the bottom, the cloudline exhausts at the top. As I currently type this the humidity outside is 69% @ 15 degrees C. There are a few open windows to the house my mother keeps open for fresh air and I'll have to endure these condition until winter but I'm worried I will catch mold before the end of harvest at this rate.

Since the ivation is reading 53% and it has air directly being pulled into it from the tent is it safe to assume that this is the 'actual' humidity in the tent? Why would the probe for my cloudline at the exhaust be reading 65%?

When it's relatively dry outside during the after noon, anytime from 1200 to 1600, the outside humidity can drop to maybe 53% or so, when this happens my cloudline and ivation's humidity sensors are reading within 2-5% of each other but right now this 12-15% distance I'm just not comfortable with seeing. Especially with an aphid issue that I hope I'm on the tail end of resolving.

What can I do without (hopefully) upgrading my dehumidifer to achieve the humidity that my plants will want? I'm hoping that as I discover more males that will decrease the amount of water content in the tent and also contribute to lowering overall humidity. The grow was a shoot for a SoG but it was too staggered to be successfully a SoG, at least the canopy is relatively level at this point despite the staggered plant growths.

My other question is regarding future propagation of my plants. It appears that plants 5 and 6 are both females. Plant number 3 I haven't been able to sex yet, the lights cut out just as I was finishing up watering so I couldn't do any more inspection today. My plant number 7 that is still vegging (possibly stunted forever?) could be a male of that indica but I'm not sure I will get to be that lucky.

I'm planning on harvesting pollen from the male sativas to pollenat one of the sativa female's colas to get some seeds for the next harvest. My questions regarding this are:

What happens if I pollinate one of the indicas from one of my sativas. Do I get a cross now and which way will it go (if there is a way of telling beforehand).

I was hoping to get seeds from the indicas bred with other indicas and seeds from the sativas bred with other sativas.

The plan was using colloidal silver on one of the branches of the indica until pollen sacks formed and having it self pollinate itself, being taken outside to do so. I have less than a month until the first frost so I'm hoping that it's on a timeline that works for me. The tent inside will be females only, all males if any are going to be placed outside until pollen can be harvested before they get culled and made into hash/tea/whatever.

I read that it's safe the smoke the plant that you use colloidal silver on, just /not the specific branch/nug that you are spraying/. Can anybody confirm this? I would hate to loose a whole plant in terms of being able to smoke it but if it can guarantee me seeds for the future I guess I will have to take that route, eh?

I have another cabinet inside that I can start turning into a place where clones can be incubating before going into the closet to veg out before going into the tent to flower.

This is my first grow with cannabis and I have previous experience growing but it was two seasons of mycological experience but I have also worked on a spirulina farm for two years so I am comfortable mixing salts and adding them to a culture/etc.

What are the current options for propgating my future garden based on what I currently have available?

TripsRabbit

TripsRabbit

Wow, too much info. Couldn't read it all, try dumbing it down a bit.
What size vent fan do you have?
Are you exhausting your scrubbed air out of the grow room?
If you have a crowded space with too many plants in flower, not only will you have issues with the plants making it hard to keep humidity in check most of your buds will be airy and larfy if you get anything at all. The tight space and high humidity makes your plants susceptible to bud rot mold. IMO a 4x4 is only enough room for 4 small plants max.

TripsRabbit

TripsRabbit

I take a teaspoon of colloidal silver internally whenever I feel sick. It's a great antibiotic, it was the main antibiotic before modern medicine. Colloidal silver can even be inhaled, if a virus or bacteria hits your lungs when they are coated with silver it's harder for the illness to take hold and grow.

shades

shades

I take a teaspoon of colloidal silver internally whenever I feel sick. It's a great antibiotic, it was the main antibiotic before modern medicine. Colloidal silver can even be inhaled, if a virus or bacteria hits your lungs when they are coated with silver it's harder for the illness to take hold and grow.
Don't wind up like this guy who over did it on the ppm in his colloidal silver solution:

"You took too much man, you took too much"

Administered directly sure it can be fine, but I'm interested in smoking parts of the plant that were not sprayed with it but in proximity to it being sprayed.

shades

shades

Wow, too much info. Couldn't read it all, try dumbing it down a bit.

What size vent fan do you have?
The actual size the tent supports max I think are 8" vents. In there is a 4" cloudline doing 205 CFM.

Are you exhausting your scrubbed air out of the grow room?
No. Directly outside where it will not be a problem for anyone on the property or adjacent to it.

If you have a crowded space with too many plants in flower, not only will you have issues with the plants making it hard to keep humidity in check most of your buds will be airy and larfy if you get anything at all. The tight space and high humidity makes your plants susceptible to bud rot mold. IMO a 4x4 is only enough room for 4 small plants max.

Doubly noted, but I was shooting initially for a SoG, which would have been more ideal had I been able to germinate all of the seeds at the same time. Unfortunately this did not happen, and the staggered growth was too much. The first batch was too big by the time the seedlings were ready for 12/12 which I've read people start as soon as when the plants reach a height of only 30cm with plants per square foot not square footage per plant.

UPDATE:

I've removed what I thought were the males from the tent. Number 2 which has been outside has grown a considerable amount. I think I will use this guy to harvest pollen. The sacks are about to explode it looks like on that guy.

I think I would benefit from some trellesing but I'm worried that I will no longer be able to lift each plant individually to put a scale under it to measure it's before/after watering weight as well as not being able to put the collection dish for the run off for each plant. I understand most people have a drain system that just drains everything out proper, but that's for people who have already been able to dial in on their nutrients. I'm still closely monitoring each one as I had a major problem. Initially I was feeding them 20-10-20 with every watering until I got some RAW NPK Industries grow formula which I was using but I was using it in a water, feed, water, schedule. My dumbass didn't ph the water in between feedings namely because I didn't have a pH meter at the time to do so. I eventually did get cal mag because RAW recommends you add it with their grow formula, and the day I did so the soil ph shot down way too low on all the plants. Probably some reaction was happening from their lack of calcium/magnesium and now sudden flood of it. It's 50:50 peat/vermiculite for the substrate. The run off was ridiculously high afterwards. I flushed with cal mag water. The plants are much happier now and all the toxicity that was building up was washed out. I'm sure there was onset if not straight nutrient lockout happening from the watering in between feedings without pHing. I'm lucky enough that once I add in the formula the pH is at the level I want it to be without any additional ph up/down solution.

I'll monitor the humidity going forward and see how they do now. I'll have to do another head count in the morning but I think about half of them went out.

GarlicBudExpert

GarlicBudExpert

Keep it simple. Clean smoke won't clog up your lungs. Keep fertilizer and supplements to a minimum. Try fertilome chelared iron after a good diluted hydrogen peroxide flush for any issues.

Use the add method for watering
Add water
Wait a Day
Wait a day.
Now check it, water down one side to get the water to the bottom.

Then water wide as it gets bigger.
Top dress with worm manure then half way in flowering use wood ashes for monster buds.

You can use cucumber peeling burn them and you have natural P for your plants.

I'm trying light dusting top dressing of nitro roots organic for veg this year.

I have roots organic terp tea bloom for Flowing and HPK and calmag.

Fish tank water is the best all the way through to use. Then Budswell Bat guano mixture with seabird guano and other ingredients
I don't have a tank set up yet. But that's the goal in the near future.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Keep it simple. Clean smoke won't clog up your lungs. Keep fertilizer and supplements to a minimum. Try fertilome chelared iron after a good diluted hydrogen peroxide flush for any issues.

Use the add method for watering
Add water
Wait a Day
Wait a day.
Now check it, water down one side to get the water to the bottom.

Then water wide as it gets bigger.
Top dress with worm manure then half way in flowering use wood ashes for monster buds.

You can use cucumber peeling burn them and you have natural P for your plants.

I'm trying light dusting top dressing of nitro roots organic for veg this year.

I have roots organic terp tea bloom for Flowing and HPK and calmag.

Fish tank water is the best all the way through to use. Then Budswell Bat guano mixture with seabird guano and other ingredients
I don't have a tank set up yet. But that's the goal in the near future.
Try to look at the dates of the last post. appreciate you trying to help but this member is likely no longer active and the grow in question is long finished. this is considered a dead thread at this point.

GarlicBudExpert

GarlicBudExpert

Try to look at the dates of the last post. appreciate you trying to help but this member is likely no longer active and the grow in question is long finished. this is considered a dead thread at this point.
Thanks for the Intel lol

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Thanks for the Intel lol
caught me on a good day lol. most the time i'm pretty fuckin rude about these kind of things but trying to do better. consider it a protip -- check last post dates when digging through the forums. just helps keep the search and timeline clean, ya know.

GarlicBudExpert

GarlicBudExpert

caught me on a good day lol. most the time i'm pretty fuckin rude about these kind of things but trying to do better. consider it a protip -- check last post dates when digging through the forums. just helps keep the search and timeline clean, ya know.
Right on!! Thanks 👍

10622740 752420894794285 1318284570091077063 n

Top Bottom