Environmental controls and air conditioners

• Thread starter TheBravestPioneer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TheBravestPioneer

TheBravestPioneer

I've got an autopilot f90 controlling my 5x10 tent grow with two 800w leds, and have recently added an 8,000 btu portable ac to allow me to seal the tent and supplement co2.
No matter what deadband I select I'm constantly having my ac kick on and turn off quite rapidly to maintain my 83° F setting, and today I went in to see temps hovering around 90° F with the ac unit blowing warm air.
I'm pretty confident something has failed in the ac, so my question is: is this frequent power cycling destroying my compressor?
If I was to upgrade to a mini split would that work in my tent, and with my controller?
I want to continue using the controller so I can have precise separate day/night temps.

Anthem

Anthem

I've got an autopilot f90 controlling my 5x10 tent grow with two 800w leds, and have recently added an 8,000 btu portable ac to allow me to seal the tent and supplement co2.
No matter what deadband I select I'm constantly having my ac kick on and turn off quite rapidly to maintain my 83° F setting, and today I went in to see temps hovering around 90° F with the ac unit blowing warm air.
I'm pretty confident something has failed in the ac, so my question is: is this frequent power cycling destroying my compressor?
If I was to upgrade to a mini split would that work in my tent, and with my controller?
I want to continue using the controller so I can have precise separate day/night temps.
you have to size the ac unit correctly just for the reason you have list above. First make sure you have a true 800 watts per light. If you go to the hawthorne gardening website there is a heat calculator, it will give you a basic idea of the BTU's you are giving off. make sure to include a dehumidifier if you are using one. My gut is telling me you need around 5000 to 6000 BTU for that set up. If the AC was constantly cycling on and off rapidly it could have destroyed the unit.
What deadband settings did you try?

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Mini split for the win.

I run 2 and other than when it is 0*F outside, they have worked perfectly for years in both HID and LED tents. They are variable speed, and it's a set it and forget it kinda thing with their own controller.

If you want to control it with an external device like you mention, you are gonna need to go old school and get the most analog device you can find and set the deadband pretty wide.

Anthem

Anthem

Mini split for the win.

I run 2 and other than when it is 0*F outside, they have worked perfectly for years in both HID and LED tents. They are variable speed, and it's a set it and forget it kinda thing with their own controller.

If you want to control it with an external device like you mention, you are gonna need to go old school and get the most analog device you can find and set the deadband pretty wide.
what size mini split would you run?

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

what size mini split would you run?
most common and affordable size is 12K BTU. It's more than is needed, but since they are variable speed they still work well without overshoot and undershoot. Very quiet too. Typically much higher seer than a window unit.

Best time to shop for them is a few months ago tho. On my first one it was middle of winter and I got it for 1/2 price.

Top Bottom