epsom salt

• Thread starter forman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
forman

forman

Can an epsom salt solution be used for my plants cal/mag requirments. Do other growers use anything else for Cal/mag other then whats in your basic veg/bloom fertalizer?

C

Chimera

epsom salts is magnesium sulphate, not magnesium and calcium.

the Cal-mag supplements are really way over priced IMO.

You can easily use Dolomite lime which is essentially calcium and magnesium, but you'll need to use the finest grade available. It breaks down relatively slowly and is not immediately available to the plants. Works excellent for gaden beds, but not as well for containergardening for short lived plants.

For immediate correction of a magnesium defieciency, use Epsom salts
"Magnesium sulfate is a chemical compound containing magnesium and sulfate, with the formula MgSO4. In its hydrated form the pH is 6.0 (5.5 to 7.0). It is often encountered as the heptahydrate, MgSO4·7H2O, commonly called Epsom salt."

For immediate correction of (the more rare) calcium deficiency use calcium peroxide.

Most chemical fertilizers supply ample Mg and Ca, although some companies sell a Cal-Mag solution separately to extract more money out of your pockets.

The vast majority of Mg deficiencies you seen on these forums is due to too low of a pH, which causes the Mg to be locked out and thus unavailable to the plant, resulting in a deficiency

Cannabis does however require a vast amount of Mg compared to other plants, so it's not a bad idea to add some epsom salts to your water every now and then.. especially if your leaves start to grow thin and ridged with a lime green colour as opposed to a darker shade.

-Chimera

C

CrippledCrow

I been using it for years at half a teaspoon per gallon of water every watering , but i use seaweed extract , gaunos , castings as well.....is there a reason you only suggest once and a while Chimera ?

C

Chimera

You don't need to use a teaspoon per gallon; Magnesium is a micro nutrient (secondary plant nutrient) and you the plants won't use as much as you are adding.

You could probably get away with once every 4th watering, and even then that's likely too much. Try it, I'll bet you'll see no difference to the plants ata all.

It's not going to hurt the plant, but you'll just end up with a medium and thus plants full of Mg which is not necessary; also you'll save bucks by cutting down on Epsom salt purchases.

Hope that helps,
-Chimera

S

satyr

I dissolve 2-3 tablespoons in a liter of water and then add like 20-25 ppm's to my RO water and I ususally have very dark green leaves and very few yellow ones.

But be careful when using Mgso4 if overdosed, which does not take a lot, youre plants will die or suffer.

Not all plants like enhanced Mg, but ususally it seems plants like ak47 likes very high mg compared to others. Also beware of your ph.

By the way, I use GH nutes and it seems to benefit greatly from some added Mgso4

hubcap

hubcap

you guys use alot compared to us.
MAYBE half a teaspoon per gallon, dissolved, then into a spray mister for foliar feeding.
this method has alleviated about 98% of all the cal.mg def's we encounter.
used sparingly and as needed, its pretty tuff to beat for the price.

S

satyr

Well guess I were not very precise......I use maybe 15-25 ml of the Mgso4 water pr. 100 liters in order to get 20-25 ppm of mgso4 in the mixture.....

I agree with Hubcab that it is extremely large doses being used by lots of folks around.

O

Organijuana

Kelp Meal

Personally, I love kelp meal...stuff is loaded with everything, including Calcium (1.904%) and Magnesium (0.213%). My concern with epsom salts is that I've read that, like any salts, it will liquidate the soil's microlife.

Solidopc

Solidopc

I can't stand epsom salts. I used them before accidentally along with my nutrients the runoff way very low ph and my plants were not happy. Never used it again because it allways messed with my ph.

I use algamic for Mg and Ca. Cheap, easy available, and organic, plus full of lots of other goodies and a fantastic leaf spray for veg for quick resolution of Mg def and deep green leafs.

T

Tuggo

I'm growing in a hydroponic system(ebb&flow), and most of my new growth that's closest to the light is really bright green. Can Epsom salt be used in an E&F, and if so how much to use?

surrealife

surrealife

I use farm compost, w/ aged horse bedding..limed. so, I have added no Mag or Cal until this point.
going to use oyster shell, or dolomite...cheap:), maybe MgSO4 after .
tonight,
tonight Epsom salt, this is why I came

thanks for info,
maybe only once, 7 tsp/ 7gal.
there are 7, they are in 160lb 27gal containers. they are 3wks in. they are 9'+
they should be fine w/ one serving? , tsp/gal each
already broke up root ball with concrete pins, chainsaw file, water 5 days, they look amazing
so I alleviated any lockup. this what they want. did SoP and iron...this, cal should be close,
and is coming so
sound like a decent plan guys?
I got worms to think about

peace

surrealife

surrealife

imo
2tsp's per gal, per pant. I called a 25r grower friend...has seen the girls
says
"theyr so huge, it wouldn't hurt em.."
fkn right:)

old thread,

surrealife

surrealife

hi, thanks
glad someone is watching.
I think im going to use dolomite.
CaCO3 50.94%
MgCO3 43.06%

or the Epsom and some oyster shell

peace

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Most welcome. Now for the warning about DL--it's high in carbonates (that CO3 portion of the molecule), so that drives soil pH UP.

surrealife

surrealife

ok,
so then they cant uptake anything.
sulfur will raise the acidity also

WAIT!!. I have 40acres, I burn wood.
wood ash is the best
fast acting
"Applying wood ashes also will raise soil pH. Wood ashes contain up to 70 percent calcium carbonate, as well as potassium, phosphorus, and many trace minerals. Because it has a very fine particle size, wood ash is a fast-acting liming material. Use it with caution, because overapplying it can create serious soil imbalances. Limit applications to 25 pounds per 1,000 square feet, and apply ashes only once every 2 to 3 years in any particular area. At this rate, your soil will get the benefits of the trace minerals without adverse effects on pH."

FREE. I use it as a stain also.

surrealife

surrealife

ahh, thanks, same as wood ash, but, temporarily using ammonia sulfate a lil, and ammonia sulfate as nitro also temp, will that counteract the pH rise? Cal....I had it...am kinda frugal, and am only pretending to know this stuff:)....but, this is the rewarding of rabbit holes ever, all of it..the growing of meds.
get this folks. kelp4less, I cancelled order by phone...caught it, they still sent. told me to kelp it. catch that...keep/kelp
i'm just saying
some shiny new stuff to play with..
Product​
Quantity​
Price​
Calcium Carbonate​
Quantity: 10 Pounds
1​
$14.20​
Magnesium Sulfate​
Quantity: 5 Pounds
1​
$18.00​
Calcium Sulfate Powder​
Quantity: 20 Pounds
1​
$18.00​
tried wood ash out of my stove, crumbles well, creosote....dilutes ok..​
not a science, so I went 1tsp-1ga​

homebrew

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I've played around with wood ashes a little bit, but have been afraid to use too much because of all the dire warnings. I haven't tried mixing them with water, how did that work for you? Did they stay in suspension, thus allowing even saturation/coverage?

In any event, the CaSO4 (aka gypsum) should counterbalance what rise in pH you gain from using dolomite lime. You still need that Mg, and unfortunately the MgSO4 is just too soluble to last more than a couple of waterings, IME.

surrealife

surrealife

no, your right....i'm listening:) then I check....
Cal, Mg throughout the whole show
I was scared too w// the ash. so I splash it through buckets right before measuring, start with least needy,
get towards end, high concentrate, use for next batch.
I also gave them 6gal of water first.
I am hypothesizing that it is hot. they will uptake more water,, calcified
and I can water heavy again tonight......
I measure as if it were a calmag, tsp /gsl

they look mavelous

gypsum...another. 3X sulfates...

Top Bottom