Equipment Failure Resulted In Lights On For 72 Hours During Flower...i'd Value Your Advice

• Thread starter OldPine
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
OldPine

OldPine

I'm embarrassed to even create this thread, especially since it's my first on this site. This has never happened to me before, and I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to handle the situation. Any advice you might be able to give will be welcomed with open arms and an open mind.

As the title of the thread suggests, I had a timer go bad on me. Unfortunately, I didn't realize it had stopped working for a couple days because I always vacate and turn lights off in the room that contains the grow space prior to scheduled lights-out. I do this because the grow space itself is annoyingly not completely impervious to light, despite my best efforts, and I have to make the whole room dark to achieve complete darkness. The only reason I realized the lights were on after scheduled lights-off was because I had to sneak back into the room to get something and I noticed light pouring out of the grow space.

I'm estimating that my flowering girls went 72 hours without a dark period based on when I saw negative changes happening to my leaves (curl) and pH levels in my DWC. I'm on flowering day 44 of 54. I know 54 is on the low side, but I'm running C99 and she appreciates a harvest on the early side.

I have reset the plants back on 12/12. The DWC pH is now under control, and some of the leaves that were most intensely heat-stressed and curled like tacos have recovered. For other leaves, I don't expect to see a recovery.

I had what was leading up to be a beautiful and bountiful harvest, but now almost all of my tops have developed fox tails. Also a first for me.

Backstory complete...here, finally, come my questions...

1) Should I extend my harvest date further than the intended Day 54? I expect that I stunted development since none of the hormones were allowed to accumulate during lights off for these three days. Normally, I wouldn't ask this question but Cindy plays coy when it comes to harvest. Unlike all the other strains I've run, Cindy doesn't play by the same rules when it comes to % of amber trics governing the harvest...at least not in my experience. Often, Day 54 comes and I'll only note 15-20% amber trics. The consensus is to harvest at day 54 regardless of this observation. This is what I've done in the past and Cindy rewards me with very cerebral and creative effects.

2) Aside from herming, are there other effects that I should be on the lookout for?

3) As I noted above, I've never dealt with foxtails before. As I understand it, they are a result of the plant ditching efforts in developing the cola from which they grow and they are doing this because of heat damage. Has anyone ever experimented with cutting the foxtails off? Aren't they robbing the cola of nutrients? I also understand that I shouldn't expect the foxtails to develop into anything usable, especially this late in the process. Are the foxtails, in any way, indicative of damage to the cola that could soon show the ugly face of bud rot? Am I overthinking this whole thing?

4) Would there be any argument to harvest early?

I sincerely appreciate any and all advice.

OldPine

Homesteader

Homesteader

I'm thinking your 54 days turned into 60 but I don't really know what will happen. I was just thinking that its possible that the light bumped it back into veg in terms of hormones and you may end up losing out on potency.

Last edited:
OldPine

OldPine

That makes sense to me too, regarding potency. Do you think the extra 6 days will help regain any? Or am I chasing my own tail?

OldPine

OldPine

That makes sense to me too, regarding potency. Do you think the extra 6 days will help regain any? Or am I chasing my own tail?

And thank you very much for the quick reply! I feel like I'm on borrowed time here with harvest right around the corner.

What about the fox tails - do you have any experience in that realm?

Homesteader

Homesteader

Do you think the extra 6 days will help regain any? Or am I chasing my own tail?

I would be just guessing Oldpine. I would just try to get eyes on the plant often to look out for anything out of sort.

OldPine

OldPine

Thank you for the advice. I'm pretty much camped out in the grow and I expect I will be for the next 10-16 days, depending on when I eventually harvest. Though sometimes this feels counterproductive as I can have a tendency to overthink things.

Freshone

Freshone

Doesn't matter now,their gonna do what their gonna do.Id just run them like you planned and check trichs before harvest which I doubt would be ready at 54 days even if this didn't happen.
Good luck!

OldPine

OldPine

Doesn't matter now,their gonna do what their gonna do.Id just run them like you planned and check trichs before harvest which I doubt would be ready at 54 days even if this didn't happen.
Good luck!

You're right @Freshone - the trics aren't ready at Day 54. Cinderella 99 is the only strain that I harvest when trics are still only 15%-20% amber. In my experience and pretty much everything I can find online regarding the experience of other farmers with C99, the convention is to harvest at Day 54 regardless of the trics. Cindy seems to be an exception to the rule. I can say that the effects, when harvested at Day 54, are exactly as anticipated - euphoric, cerebral, and energetic.

This is what spurred my question in the first place...since I can't base my harvest on amber in the trics, do you think that I should account for extra time due to the stupid timer breaking?

As an aside, I can't even explain how frustrating it is to have everything dialed in over the course of months only to be brought to my knees by a timer.

Freshone

Freshone

It happens to the best of us,just continue on with your plan,dont think you will gain anything by adding time.I think your lucky it happened later in flower than earlier personally,plants are resilient and can take a little fubar here or there.Its much worse when it's consistently happening day after day like a light leak.

OldPine

OldPine

Thank you Fresh. Your comments are helping me to temper my angst over this whole thing.

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
I'm embarrassed to even create this thread, especially since it's my first on this site. This has never happened to me before, and I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to handle the situation. Any advice you might be able to give will be welcomed with open arms and an open mind.

As the title of the thread suggests, I had a timer go bad on me. Unfortunately, I didn't realize it had stopped working for a couple days because I always vacate and turn lights off in the room that contains the grow space prior to scheduled lights-out. I do this because the grow space itself is annoyingly not completely impervious to light, despite my best efforts, and I have to make the whole room dark to achieve complete darkness. The only reason I realized the lights were on after scheduled lights-off was because I had to sneak back into the room to get something and I noticed light pouring out of the grow space.

I'm estimating that my flowering girls went 72 hours without a dark period based on when I saw negative changes happening to my leaves (curl) and pH levels in my DWC. I'm on flowering day 44 of 54. I know 54 is on the low side, but I'm running C99 and she appreciates a harvest on the early side.

I have reset the plants back on 12/12. The DWC pH is now under control, and some of the leaves that were most intensely heat-stressed and curled like tacos have recovered. For other leaves, I don't expect to see a recovery.

I had what was leading up to be a beautiful and bountiful harvest, but now almost all of my tops have developed fox tails. Also a first for me.

Backstory complete...here, finally, come my questions...

1) Should I extend my harvest date further than the intended Day 54? I expect that I stunted development since none of the hormones were allowed to accumulate during lights off for these three days. Normally, I wouldn't ask this question but Cindy plays coy when it comes to harvest. Unlike all the other strains I've run, Cindy doesn't play by the same rules when it comes to % of amber trics governing the harvest...at least not in my experience. Often, Day 54 comes and I'll only note 15-20% amber trics. The consensus is to harvest at day 54 regardless of this observation. This is what I've done in the past and Cindy rewards me with very cerebral and creative effects.

2) Aside from herming, are there other effects that I should be on the lookout for?

3) As I noted above, I've never dealt with foxtails before. As I understand it, they are a result of the plant ditching efforts in developing the cola from which they grow and they are doing this because of heat damage. Has anyone ever experimented with cutting the foxtails off? Aren't they robbing the cola of nutrients? I also understand that I shouldn't expect the foxtails to develop into anything usable, especially this late in the process. Are the foxtails, in any way, indicative of damage to the cola that could soon show the ugly face of bud rot? Am I overthinking this whole thing?

4) Would there be any argument to harvest early?

I sincerely appreciate any and all advice.

OldPine
Let it ride out... takes longer to make a bunch of beans than 10ish days. Watch for nanners

OldPine

OldPine

Thank you for the advice @GT21 - between you and @Freshone, I have confidence that I should stick to the plan as it was previously laid out. I do have to thank @Homesteader though for the advice too. I imagine that my crop could go either way at this point. I could probably pull at 54 or at 60 and see similar results. What a crap shoot.

@GT21 - do you have any advice on my fox-tailing issue?

Truly appreciate the feedback

OldPine

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Thank you for the advice @GT21 - between you and @Freshone, I have confidence that I should stick to the plan as it was previously laid out. I do have to thank @Homesteader though for the advice too. I imagine that my crop could go either way at this point. I could probably pull at 54 or at 60 and see similar results. What a crap shoot.

@GT21 - do you have any advice on my fox-tailing issue?

Truly appreciate the feedback

OldPine
Ya its too hot and humid and your buds are airing out

OldPine

OldPine

Have you ever cut foxtails out of your grow? As I mentioned in my original posting, despite having experience growing, I've never actually encountered foxtails.

I put my foxtail question here so you don't have to go searching the post...

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Have you ever cut foxtails out of your grow? As I mentioned in my original posting, despite having experience growing, I've never actually encountered foxtails.

I put my foxtail question here so you don't have to go searching the post...

Ya some strains do it more than others... you dont cut them off

OldPine

OldPine

With 10 days until harvest, they'll go in the hash bucket I guess.

Thanks again GT!

tinderthumbs

tinderthumbs

so I found out my timer quit working so my girls did not have a dark period last night you guys think they will b ok?? never had this happen before so im super worried

OldPine

OldPine

so I found out my timer quit working so my girls did not have a dark period last night you guys think they will b ok?? never had this happen before so im super worried
Well, I can report back that my situation sucked ass. But my lights were on for approx. 72 hours. Did irreversible damage to my ladies. The result is that I had to start staging my harvest wayyyy earlier than I would have under normal circumstances (no cloudy trichs). But I had to get the burned and foxtailed buds out of the cabinet. They were continuing downhill fast.

I think I would have survived one night of no dark just fine though. I think you should take the advice given here and resume your schedule as normal and you'll be okay.

tinderthumbs

tinderthumbs

that's what im going to do for sure ill just have to keep a eye on them good to see other people been pass this lol

Top Bottom