Ethos Bullsh*t

• Thread starter specklefart
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
specklefart

specklefart

I just wanted to point out that this advertisement used a picture of the same cola and just doctored the image. Pretty fuckin stupid, IMO. I recognized it because I'm growing the RBx3. Or is it the S1?

Ethos bullsht
Ethos bullsht 2
Last edited:
BigCube

BigCube

What a shock.

When seeds sell for like 10$ each, you start to understand why all these seed sellers have been popping up all over the place. Questionable genetics aside. The average consumer has no idea how to tell if they are getting what they actually paid for. And in many cases, they arent.

Shocker. Anyone willing to seed a plant, can call it whatever they want. Make whatever claims they want about it and post pictures of totally different plants. It's not like the average grower would even know. So that's what happens often.

specklefart

specklefart

What a shock.

When seeds sell for like 10$ each, you start to understand why all these seed sellers have been popping up all over the place. Questionable genetics aside. The average consumer has no idea how to tell if they are getting what they actually paid for. And in many cases, they arent.

Shocker. Anyone willing to seed a plant, can call it whatever they want. Make whatever claims they want about it and post pictures of totally different plants. It's not like the average grower would even know. So that's what happens often.
Well I guess I was shocked, because I was recommended Ethos by a long-time grower. I thought they had built a reputation. I also may be a novice, but the strain seems to be a similar phenotype to the one advertised.

In the age of cheap genome sequencing, I’m curious why this has not become the gold standard. Yes I understand the difference between genotype and phenotype before someone jumps down my throat. I think it would inspire more confidence in buyers just knowing that the genes are there and it’s not an entirely different strain. I‘m sure there are some that would argue that this would be cost-prohibitive for small breeders, but I can find out how much Neanderthal DNA I have for $100.

stanknugzz77

stanknugzz77

Scenario 1: A "breeder" puts no real work into breeding with elites and slaps a catchy name on them and sells them to naive buyers for $150-250/pack.

Scenario 2: A real breeder creates and works a line over several filial generations (which can take years and they might even find out that the end result is undesirable) and sells it for $60-80/pack.

Scenario 1 might make a quick buck or even get lucky with a cultivar that turns out stellar, but somewhere down the line, that charade will fall apart. Scenario 2 is going to take a while to generate any monetary compensation for their efforts, but the end result will be worthy of praise and build a stable reputation. Most people are after a quick buck and don't give a fuck about their reputation. Buyers that are paying top dollar for catchy names on untested polyhybrids are fueling the genetic breakdown of this sacred plant. If everyone stopped buying the overpriced trash, no one would be trying to sell it anymore. It will most likely never happen, but it is a beautiful thought haha. Positive vibes...

~nugzz

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Trust nothing you hear and only half of what you see.

I haven’t bought seeds in a while. I just don’t trust most if any of the current crop of breeders. Been making my own crosses the last year or so with stock I’ve grown and know well. Up next is Cookie Crisp, which is lucky charms f3 x cookies n cream f2. Just started flowering one about a week ago. The trick is to find your own gems and start your own pollen chucking adventures in hopes of creating something new and unique.

Kraken.headz

Kraken.headz

A few years back, a company ( I think it was ethos) released a strain that they called GG4, but had entirely different parents than the actual glue. They were on sale on SHN, I think, and kind of caused a bit of a scandal. Eventually I think they were taken down.
Does anyone remember this? I'm a little fuzzy on the details.

stanknugzz77

stanknugzz77

I haven’t bought seeds in a while. I just don’t trust most if any of the current crop of breeders. Been making my own crosses the last year or so with stock I’ve grown and know well. Up next is Cookie Crisp, which is lucky charms f3 x cookies n cream f2. Just started flowering one about a week ago. The trick is to find your own gems and start your own pollen chucking adventures in hopes of creating something new and unique.
This. I enjoy looking through different phenotypes of cultivars, but it makes the experience even more beautiful and interesting when it was my hard work, time/energy and love for the plant that went into creating the progeny. Positive vibes...

~nugzz

Terpz719

Terpz719

I've noticed the same thing for a long time now, and it isn't just Ethos. I've chalked it up to a number of things, with laziness being at the top of the list. Not saying there aren't scammers, just don't think the larger more respected companies are purposefully trying to scam. Personally I think if they are selling something the least they could do is provide an accurate pic. Another consideration is who is maintaining the web site? It may be a third party that knows nothing about cannabis and or doesn't give a shit - they just reuse an easy to grab pic.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

You should try some Strawberry Fields!😎

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
A few years back, a company ( I think it was ethos) released a strain that they called GG4, but had entirely different parents than the actual glue. They were on sale on SHN, I think, and kind of caused a bit of a scandal. Eventually I think they were taken down.
Does anyone remember this? I'm a little fuzzy on the details.

I think elev8 did something like that as well I seem to recall. Not sure if it was a scandal per se but shady none the less.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
I've noticed the same thing for a long time now, and it isn't just Ethos. I've chalked it up to a number of things, with laziness being at the top of the list. Not saying there aren't scammers, just don't think the larger more respected companies are purposefully trying to scam. Personally I think if they are selling something the least they could do is provide an accurate pic. Another consideration is who is maintaining the web site? It may be a third party that knows nothing about cannabis and or doesn't give a shit - they just reuse an easy to grab pic.

What boggles my mind is I’ll see a pic and the plant looks like shit. Burnt tips, dead leaves and just bad growing. How did that end up making the cut? You’d think the “breeder” could provide better pics of their work. I have for the most part a 10 year rule. If they haven’t been around and well known for 10+ years then I don’t even bother. Cup winners don’t impress me, those can be bought. I want someone who is real and will explain the reasoning behind their pollen chucks.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Just cracked some bog bubble. I always forget about strawberry fields. I’ll pop those next!
You won't be sorry! Beginning an F2 run, and it has become my goto day-evening smoke..Rosin too!

stanknugzz77

stanknugzz77

You should try some Strawberry Fields!😎
Is the Strawberry Fields from Crockett Family Farms? If so, where did you obtain the seeds? Positive vibes...
Just cracked some bog bubble. I always forget about strawberry fields. I’ll pop those next!
Somehow in all these years I have never had the pleasure of running anything from BOG. I can't seem to find his bubble anywhere. It is nice to see that he still has fair and really reasonable prices, considering how long he has been perfecting his craft. Admirable to say the least. Positive vibes...

~nugzz

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Is the Strawberry Fields from Crockett Family Farms? If so, where did you obtain the seeds? Positive vibes...

Somehow in all these years I have never had the pleasure of running anything from BOG. I can't seem to find his bubble anywhere. It is nice to see that he still has fair and really reasonable prices, considering how long he has been perfecting his craft. Admirable to say the least. Positive vibes...

~nugzz

Actually I got them both from a buddy of mine. He’s an older guy who knows his way around a seedbank, haha ;-)

He’s a lucky guy who has been known to buzz in on threads now and again.

But yeah they are from crocketts.

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
Scenario 1: A "breeder" puts no real work into breeding with elites and slaps a catchy name on them and sells them to naive buyers for $150-250/pack.

Scenario 2: A real breeder creates and works a line over several filial generations (which can take years and they might even find out that the end result is undesirable) and sells it for $60-80/pack.

Scenario 1 might make a quick buck or even get lucky with a cultivar that turns out stellar, but somewhere down the line, that charade will fall apart. Scenario 2 is going to take a while to generate any monetary compensation for their efforts, but the end result will be worthy of praise and build a stable reputation. Most people are after a quick buck and don't give a fuck about their reputation. Buyers that are paying top dollar for catchy names on untested polyhybrids are fueling the genetic breakdown of this sacred plant. If everyone stopped buying the overpriced trash, no one would be trying to sell it anymore. It will most likely never happen, but it is a beautiful thought haha. Positive vibes...

~nugzz
Ethos is definately scenario #1.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Oh shit you made some f2s? Save me some of those if you have any extras.
@JWM2
I don't expect too many seeds, as the pollen was at the end of life. I will see in a few weeks how many are available, and advise..if you remind me.

I still have a few of the originals from Crockett as well.

Top Bottom