Ever Heard Of 40-50% Thc Strains?

• Thread starter simcoesod
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
W8ing4Buds

W8ing4Buds

I really don't know what this is all about but... Old school strains had never been over 7-8% THC. If someone is selling to you old-school strain with 40+% THC you should run!!!

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I'm an old hippie as well...at least 60 years old, so that's old enough. I was there for ALL of the 70s smokes. Back then, the smoke wasn't 50% as potent as it is now. I agree about the shame of original strains getting the shit mixed out of them, with very little original strains available. The smoke of the 70s seemed like a killer because we were used to smoking schwag, seedy and dried out crumbs not big fat green nuggets that have 25% or more THC. If you could get 15% THC back then, you were considered a god. I have seen VERY few old strain seeds that are available, I find it very unusual for this "Hippie" to have suddenly found them and only made feminized seeds from them.
I agree, I call bullshit as well!
Old thread but I am also at least that age and I respectfully disagree; maybe some didn't have the same connections others did in the 70s but there was never finer marijuana then from c. 73 to 76. Everyday I wonder what happened to it?

Nothing today touches it, I don't know about the THC content, but the red and the gold back then were completely different style bud and the finest marijuana I've ever smoked.

Next to that was the real skunk#1 from the 80s which I grew for 10 years and also used in some crosses, that was superior to anything I've experienced today, but it wasn't as good as the stuff from the 70s, but this is just my opinion based on my own experience

this is a picture of the 2nd finest marijuana I've ever smoked,

I took it in the summer of 1975, it was sold to me as Columbian Gold, but the Panama Red was the best ever

Last edited:
xPeacePipex

xPeacePipex

Good laughs indeed, feminized mothers - that itself is a red flag like the exaggerated claims of Thc% and I imagine that if anyone actually does get seeds from this "hippie" that the seeds will be hermaphrodite prone and most likely rope like, instead of dope like..

I have several clones that test in the low 30's when dialed in, but they are not necessarily that attractive or great in comparison between others with much lower test results and more bang in comparison. I did though loose a lot of interest in the tests after experiencing this with a different collection of plants around seven years ago. Everything was tested for free by a excellent tech and lab, yet for the smoker those numbers didn't always fit the buzz profile even though it was all being grown and combed through for a cancer patient. I recall that most people who donated the same cuts flowers of Pre98 averaged under 20% , yet another cut shared was as well close to 30% on average and wasn't really anything special to smoke in comparison with the Pre98, even when it was tested at 13% on the lower end with new growers joining in for the cause..

Might as well note that the entourages of the different cannabinoids and terpenes and other chemicals really is what makes for some really good cannabis in my own opinion. I have little likes as well for the extracts in general when compared with the actual flowers full spectrum. So regardless of the numbers affixed to the flowers and extracts ill have to go the old route and see for myself if id even want to partake. After thirty some years of smoking and growing I am pretty picky about what I smoke and grow.. There's just way too many novelty types and way too much being hyped one way or another. Yet good cannabis speaks for itself in so many ways..

Stkyfngaz

Stkyfngaz

I've smoked some of that 70's weed , Columbian gold, Panama red, and most notably choc Thai. All rocked my bells! But quite honestly I wouldn't trade fresh grown well cured closet flower for it today. Terpines and limonines weren't present back then in my recollection, or was to young to notice.

TerriR

TerriR

There's an ancient Hindu proverb that says "Dont believe everything you read on the internet" ;)

I have been thinking about getting something from Irie Genetics. Saw some low to mid 30% claims with a cut named "Arise" but IDK. I've been like a moth to flame when I see a high test number before and sometimes the weed really is not all that great. Then I've had some test at only 15% and it knocks me into the dirt. I think sometimes a spliff tells ya a lot more than what a lab test can
I grew Arise last year and have had Arise from the local dispensary. Excellent but doesn’t feel like 30% or even high 20%...but I am not a human potency meter (or am I)? 😂

BigCube

BigCube

They busted a bunch of labs not long ago that you could pay extra to give you a higher thc count on your test results.

I dont pay attention to thc counts, I care more about flavor than anything else.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
They busted a bunch of labs not long ago that you could pay extra to give you a higher thc count on your test results.

I dont pay attention to thc counts, I care more about flavor than anything else.
I’m with ya there! I’ve grown some fire and I know if tested it would be high but I’ve also seen the same strains test high and the smoke just wasn’t there! One can grow any strain to its fullest possibilities if done right. Heck at the commercial grow I’ve had seed claims told that would be 34% that wouldn’t test over 15%. So it’s conjecture, for me it’s all about how I feel once I intake versus any claims made by breeders.

the rrock

the rrock

.Back in the 70's, when friends came to smoke my homegrown(hindu kush, NL5xHaze,.,.,oaxacan) Thee Hindu Kush was stromgest by far. It was an event,it wasnt getting stoned it was getting too stoned. The HK would leave you pondering things for at least 8hrs. Havent seen anything close to that in todays strains,even most concentrates cant come close.Lost that clone in 85. .

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
.Back in the 70's, when friends came to smoke my homegrown(hindu kush, NL5xHaze,.,.,oaxacan) Thee Hindu Kush was stromgest by far. It was an event,it wasnt getting stoned it was getting too stoned. The HK would leave you pondering things for at least 8hrs. Havent seen anything close to that in todays strains,even most concentrates cant come close.Lost that clone in 85. .
Sucks cause breeders have messed with some old school strains to a point where it’s crap. If u can find old beans covert that B! I still have a few old school skunk and Hindu k running and I wish I had more !

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
The smoke of the 70s seemed a lot better because, in comparison, the circulating smoke was garbage. The Colombian was unreal, but if you grew the same strain today, it would not have the same effects on you simply because of tolerance. Sure, some smoke was pretty good but nowhere nearly as potent as what is common today unless you were in the right circles... even then it was sketchy.
While the strains were so-so, they provided a base for the best available smokes of the time and people began to hold onto the seeds, eventually crossing them. Indica was unknown in the NE until the early 80s, and it arrived about the same time that growers first started using HID lighting and established breeding programs. Europe/Amsterdam was years ahead of the USA regarding plant strains and seed availability. I think this is where the NL strain got it's start, although I could be wrong.
Once you start smoking dabs and oils, your tolerance rises quickly. If you took a non smoking patient and rolled up a big joint of a strong Sativa, they would probably end up in the hospital and never want to smoke again. Tolerance is a bitch, but if you doubt it's effects, stop smoking for 2 months then resume where you left off and you will see the big difference in being stoned.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
The smoke of the 70s seemed a lot better because, in comparison, the circulating smoke was garbage. The Colombian was unreal, but if you grew the same strain today, it would not have the same effects on you simply because of tolerance. Sure, some smoke was pretty good but nowhere nearly as potent as what is common today unless you were in the right circles... even then it was sketchy.
While the strains were so-so, they provided a base for the best available smokes of the time and people began to hold onto the seeds, eventually crossing them. Indica was unknown in the NE until the early 80s, and it arrived about the same time that growers first started using HID lighting and established breeding programs. Europe/Amsterdam was years ahead of the USA regarding plant strains and seed availability. I think this is where the NL strain got it's start, although I could be wrong.
Once you start smoking dabs and oils, your tolerance rises quickly. If you took a non smoking patient and rolled up a big joint of a strong Sativa, they would probably end up in the hospital and never want to smoke again. Tolerance is a bitch, but if you doubt it's effects, stop smoking for 2 months then resume where you left off and you will see the big difference in being stoned.
Amen brother! Lol been there! Stopped for a month and man some stuff I had floored me that previously was meh. Lol

Pheno Farms

Pheno Farms

This is a pretty old thread but still had to chime in. @Jimster is right you’re using your young self as a measuring stick and comparing strains that were absolute garbage with ones that were pretty fire like afghani and Hindu Kush. But also the biggest point is terpenes. Thc% is not the end all be all on how high you get. There’s plenty of 22% thc strains that will knock you on your ass compared to a 33% strain. And it has to do with the main terpenes in tjat strain and the % of them in there as well. Outdoor and greenhouse has the potential to create more terpenes then indoor because of the complexity of the Sun’s spectrum. Things like UV play a critical role and as much as we have tried and are getting closer and closer, we have not been able to duplicate the sun’s color spectrum. Even if we could we’d then also need it to adjust throughout the day. Btw lemme backup terpenes do not just mean smell for those that don’t know. Terps are often referred to in regards to smell and flavor. But they are also responsible for the type of high you experience “terpenes that are high in myrcene or linalool will make you feel more relaxed, Reed says. Other terpene tonics that are high in α-pinene and terpinolene will give you a more uplifting effect“ so and and so on. There’s hundreds of them in every strain but it’s all about the top 3-5 in any given strain. 2 people growing the same thing might have more concentrated terpenes then another farmer. Thus making the effects of that strain stronger. And by no means am I saying anything from the 70s was more potent in any way shape or form then it is today because it’s just not true. In fact if it were plenty of breeders would be using those strains in their crosses because right now the higher the thc % the faster it sells through a shop. So believe me if what you were saying was true these old school genetics would be used more often. The truth is the plant has progressed and has been pushed farther and farther and every few years breaks new records. I know it’s fun to say back in my day ______ but hate to break it to you, back in that day id be rich as fuck and super famous just from gorilla glue lol! Heavy yields, good bag appeal 30%+ thc. You’d be the cannabis god back in the 70s and 80s with a strain that nowadays is considered mids. Don’t get me wrong plenty of bag appeal only strains out there. And plenty of cultivators pushing the plant so hard that they lose a lot of the terps. I learned about all this growing specifically for concentrates. Techniques I had to implement to focus on increasing hash content and not caring about how chunky or dense my nugs were. Because when u do you tend to push the plant too hard and lose a lot of the resin content. Which leads me to another possible reason you feel things were stronger. Stuff was mostly organically grown as well as sun grown. Too much nuturienrs and too intense of lights might be getting people 4lbs a light but they are definitely sacrificing terpenes and Resin content in the process. It won’t however effect thc. Did you also know high thc % does not mean it’s going to make a lot of hash? Nope has little to do with hash production. The size of the Trichome head and thickness of the neck has more to do with it as well as grow techniques like I mentioned. Once you learn what terpenes you like you can find other strains high in similar twrpenes. And start paying attention to the %s that actually matter. In an era where dabs that contain 85-90% thc are matching if not even outselling flower sales trust me, if you’re old school 70s strains were the most potent of all time, they’d be getting bred with. So many damn seeds back then those genetics are far from
Lost. They’re just not worth much. There are some still being used but more like their children. Blueberry and sour diesel for instance is in a lot of genetics. And there are breeders still breeding with old strains. They just aren’t making a lot of noise. Because nowadays the guys smoking most of what’s getting consumed. Want shit so potent if we had a time machine the hippies would be checking themselves into the ER after a single dab lol

TwitchVee

TwitchVee

oh yeah, I get 30%-34% strains now, and i've heard of some people getting at high as 49%, but always assumed it was legend

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

The highest thca content is a bit over 30%, old school strains have lower thca content, in 1980 the ave thca content was 7 to 10% with some strains around 16% max, he is yanking your chain and if true would b able to prove with lab report.

Latest posts

Top Bottom