Everything Was Going So Well Then Root Aphids....

• Thread starter DGP
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DGP

DGP

Looks like I have root aphids in my hydro plants. So far just in the veg room on the baby plants. I have no idea how to get rid of them but I had heard mosquito dunks would possibly do the trick.

I have been finding them crawling about on my work bench where some clones are growing out. Found a few in the roots after I saw them around the area.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

DP
Everything was going so well then root aphids

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Spinosad root drench x 3 a week apart. Local hardware stores sell a product called "captain jack's dead bug brew" vegetable and garden dust. You can pull your plant out of the pot and dust the inside of the pot and the root ball with it after you do the root drench and it dries out a bit.

stonestacker

stonestacker

When I have a problem I research for a day or two. Come up with a strong plan of attack and hit them hard. Especially in veg.
I have seen too many of my friends do a half ass job in the beginning and end up with a long drawn out war that eventually gets into flower.

Best of luck to you and your garden.

the rrock

the rrock

Iveused an insecticide called Merit75 with perfect results. Root aphids die after one root drench,I do it twice a week apart and they dont come back,kills eggs and all. This is for use in early veg cycle only

stonestacker

stonestacker

Part of deciding what I'm going to use is reading application rate and MSDS safety sheets. Use the right safety equipment.
Some very dangerous insecticides out their.

DON'T JUST WRAP A BANDANA AROUND YOUR HEAD AND CALL IT GOOD.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Merit75 didnt kill the winged root aphids I had. I had to end up shutting down my whole grow and bleaching everything and killed all the plants. They were still swimming in the Merit but I think I had a different aphid then you. You pretty much couldn't see them without a scope. You would just see a bunch of shit moving in the pots then they end up flying around and looking like gnats/thrips. I hit them with all sorts of shit I would have never used and nothing killed them. The bigger aphids (which is what I think you have) Azatrol drenches killed them at work pretty much after 2 rounds 7 days apart

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I had the same experience as cemchris, so I went to Spectracide with Triazicide. And still lost all my genetics I had going at the time.

S

SHIRDABZALOT

I wrote a how to that works and is proven by me and several other people. I've beat them twice in a perpetual grow, so I know it can be done. Look up my name and search the archives. Its a multi step multi product remedy. Be diligent and you will win.......cutting everything down Isn't an option for me and root aphids don't justify that extreme move to me. I was told so many times to chop my crop and just take a loss; to you guys I say: you give up to easy.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
That may be, but I spent months battling them while watching what used to be good genetics turn to crap. I had to cut my losses.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Promis at 10ml/gal on established plants

3 days later, dead bug

3 days later spinosad.

Used a s soil drench.

Repeat one more cycle as above.

Problem solved.

S

SHIRDABZALOT

Why wouldn't you just take cuts and root them at a separate location away from the aphids. I just can't justify losing my genetics, some which are irreplaceable. To me cutting down is like asking someone to go to work for the next 3 months.....and not get a paycheck....don't know a single person in my life that would work 3 months for free. If you know anyone like that send them my way, I will let them work as long as they want.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Easier said than done. What separate location would you have someone use? In my case, in PG&E territory, who's gonna be happy to run those lights and that room for me? No one I know, especially if there's a risk of dragging those bitches in on our shoes. There's also the fact that the vast majority of the cuttings I took wouldn't even root, the plants were pretty well demolished by the RAs.

S

SHIRDABZALOT

Separate location= a garage or bedroom one or two closed doors away. I'm just saying for me chopping down it's not an option. When going gets tough.....I get fuckin crafty and I make shit work with what I got. I'm one of those: failure isn't an option kind of guys.

DGP

DGP

Thanks for all the responses but I think I caught them very early. Since I am in hydro I just lifted my plants out of the buckets and found that all the little bastards were above the water line. I smashed them everywhere I found a few and then raised the water line to the trunks. I then watched for days to see if any new ones were either crawling around on the benches (which was how I first saw a few) and I have seen nothing in the roots or around the grow. I am crossing my fingers that I can control them until I harvest in a few weeks. Then I can bomb the room maybe. So far I have not used any insecticide either synthetic or "natural" (organic) in the last 2 grows. I really want to avoid insecticides because we really don't have a clue what it does when the final crop is smoked (or extracted) rather than eaten. Since the insecticide business and researchers have only studied pesticide residue as it applies to crops that are eaten. Thankfully they are not in the flower room but just in my veg/clone area and the flower room is sealed super tight and has positive air pressure.

Thanks again,

DGP

Neter Sentra

Neter Sentra

I've had mites a couple times over the years and I can say it's a losing battle no matter what ya do. It's part of being a grower. When I was younger and me and my ex sole source of income was are gardens we had to do what we had to do. Hand sandwich anyone. But you learn from it move on and try to avoid it with preventative measures in the future. Gotta earn your stripes somehow.its just part of this lifestyle.

Homesteader

Homesteader

I was successful at getting rid of them by using 20 drops MicroBelift BMC for birdbaths (8%BTi) to 5gal water. Then let the media dry out and kept a dry dusting of DE on the surface for a week or two.
I think buying store bought EWCs is the source.

Top Bottom