Excel A/C...Has Anyone Ran One?

• Thread starter greendarknight
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

greendarknight

Hey guys, I am looking into air conditioners for a current project.

I have great success with Ideal Air but feel my cooling requirements may go beyond the 36k Ideal Air Mini Split and really would only like to run a single unit. Definitely want something pre-charged. One of the other issues is that the Ideal Air, Aura, etc. outside units do not look like a regular outdoor a/c unit.

Looking over the Excel A/C XL line offerings it seems like ideally they are decent units that serve my needs but reliability is a huge factor to me.

I have had a Frost Box 2 ton crap out on me and it was no fun.

Does anyone have any experience with these units or have any other recommendations?

I was initially under the impression that only "grow store" a/c's are suitable but now no this is not the case in fact it is just more of a marketing strategy. I would purchase any brand with a great reputation but definitely want the pre-charged, plug-n-play style unit.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

IMO all of the units specifically marketed to the hydro industry are overpriced junk made in China. Of course I am an HVAC tech who has access to the best of the best. I also understand most growers don't have access to a good HVAC installer or trust one.

G

greendarknight

Thanks for your response CJ.

I had a feeling that alot of this stuff was inferior crap marketed like it was actual commercial grade, reliable equipment.

The Ideal Air units I have purchased (several) have all been pushing frosty through changing weather like a charm steady on..."crosses fingers":nailbiting:

I have thought about trying to seek out an HVAC guy via referral...

What brands have you installed/had experience with/feedback that you believe to have good cooling power, reliability and not #1 but also important-a discrete outside unit?

they all look different than any normal a/c you would see next to a building (the ideal air and aura, etc. are pretty distinguishable to the trained eye).

I was crossing my fingers on one of the excel since it met my future project's cooling needs, was inconspicuous and a quick connect.

Appreciate the help, good looking out!

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Thanks for your response CJ.

I had a feeling that alot of this stuff was inferior crap marketed like it was actual commercial grade, reliable equipment.

The Ideal Air units I have purchased (several) have all been pushing frosty through changing weather like a charm steady on..."crosses fingers":nailbiting:

I have thought about trying to seek out an HVAC guy via referral...

What brands have you installed/had experience with/feedback that you believe to have good cooling power, reliability and not #1 but also important-a discrete outside unit?

they all look different than any normal a/c you would see next to a building (the ideal air and aura, etc. are pretty distinguishable to the trained eye).

I was crossing my fingers on one of the excel since it met my future project's cooling needs, was inconspicuous and a quick connect.

Appreciate the help, good looking out!

The discrete outside unit is impossible. Most units look like air conditioners. I will tell you that Mitsubushi and Fujitsu are the quietest minis on the market. The problem is that mini splits don't go above 3 tons. I have installed a 2 speed Luxaire or York unit ( both are made by same company) that is very quiet also. This would allow you to get up to 5 tons in a single outdoor unit. Also keep in mind unless you have 3 phase power( commercial space) you can't get a unit larger than 5 tons in a single unit. Trane also makes great equipment but expensive. If you are looking at a specific unit PM a model number or web page and I could check specs. Good luck

G

greendarknight

Appreciate the heads-up!!!

By discrete I meant that some of the outside units look like non-descript A/Cs (excel) but the Ideal Air outside units look different like they were specifically for growing, perhaps I am just over-thinking the appearance of the outside unit.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Appreciate the heads-up!!!

By discrete I meant that some of the outside units look like non-descript A/Cs (excel) but the Ideal Air outside units look different like they were specifically for growing, perhaps I am just over-thinking the appearance of the outside unit.

I would be more concerned about noise than appearance

Top Bottom