Exhaust and cooling configuration

• Thread starter 916Fisherman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
916Fisherman

916Fisherman

Hey guys looking for ideas or thoughts for my 4x4x6 tent grow. I’m thinking one exuast fan that is connected only to the light, pulling air from the garage through the light hood and exhausting in the garage or out through a fresh air vent.

Then I have a portable evaporative AC that will be outside the tent with ducting running inside to add cool air. Finally there will be a can fan sucking air out of the tent and into the canister filter that sits outside the garage.

Does this sound like a good start?

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
Sounds good. Did you say the can fan filter is outside the garage? And do you plan on supplementing co2?

Every grow room is different and depending on the size of your garage, etc. It's kind of hard to say if your setup will be the "best" but, it sounds like you have a good idea going.

You may want to keep the filter inside the garage so it scrubs the air going to your plants as well.

If you can, take some pics of the area and equipment you are working with, and post em up here. There are quite a few knowledgable people here who may be able to provide better opinions and ideas if we can see exactly what you are working with. Good luck and welcome to the forum!

916Fisherman

916Fisherman

Sounds good. Did you say the can fan filter is outside the garage? And do you plan on supplementing co2?

Every grow room is different and depending on the size of your garage, etc. It's kind of hard to say if your setup will be the "best" but, it sounds like you have a good idea going.

You may want to keep the filter inside the garage so it scrubs the air going to your plants as well.

If you can, take some pics of the area and equipment you are working with, and post em up here. There are quite a few knowledgable people here who may be able to provide better opinions and ideas if we can see exactly what you are working with. Good luck and welcome to the forum!
The carbon filter can will be inside the garage but outside of the tent. It’s too large to hang inside the tent and needed mostly for odor lol. I don’t plan on adding co2 currently but maybe later down the line if needed.

916Fisherman

916Fisherman

I don’t see an option to edit my original post but the canister will be in the garage and will be attached to a can fan pulling air from inside the tent.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

The carbon filter can will be inside the garage but outside of the tent. It’s too large to hang inside the tent and needed mostly for odor lol. I don’t plan on adding co2 currently but maybe later down the line if needed.
Not sure I'm following? How is that going to control odor from outside the tent?

Y

YourStepDad

You want that carbon filter inside and if it’s too big then chances are the filter is too big. You want to pull the air through the filter then through the light then have it ducted out of the grow space completely . An intake fan will be necessary to replenish used co2 in the air . Intake fan should be 1/3rd the size or CFM rating of the exhaust fan. I would use a 6inch inline for exhaust and a 4inch inline for intake . Intake at the bottom and exhaust out through the top . You’ll want a slightly negative amount of pressure so the tent will look like it’s being sucked in . A fan speed controller may be necessary for your intake fan to achieve this goal .

916Fisherman

916Fisherman

Not sure I'm following? How is that going to control odor from outside the tent?
In a previous grow it pulled all the odor from inside the tent and scrubbed the air released int the garage. That was with a fully finished garage with AC so I had no need for so many exhaust fans or heat concerns like I have now.

916Fisherman

916Fisherman

You want that carbon filter inside and if it’s too big then chances are the filter is too big. You want to pull the air through the filter then through the light then have it ducted out of the grow space completely . An intake fan will be necessary to replenish used co2 in the air . Intake fan should be 1/3rd the size or CFM rating of the exhaust fan. I would use a 6inch inline for exhaust and a 4inch inline for intake . Intake at the bottom and exhaust out through the top . You’ll want a slightly negative amount of pressure so the tent will look like it’s being sucked in . A fan speed controller may be necessary for your intake fan to achieve this goal .
Inside the tent? My previous grow the canister was outside the tent and pulled air from in the tent through the filter and no odor in my garage.

916Fisherman

916Fisherman

I’m confused of how that’s even possible .
Why wouldn’t it be possible if you are pulling all the odor out of the tent with a fan before it can escape the tent and passing the air through the filter before releasing the air into the garage? It was the only exhaust on the tent.

But this is why I’m asking questions lol

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I’m confused of how that’s even possible .
I don't understand either? How are you "passing the air through the filter" if the filter is sealed on one side?

.. it's either on one end with air being pulled thru, or the other end with air being pushed through it as far as I can see, maybe you can explain what we're not seeing?

Y

YourStepDad

Why wouldn’t it be possible if you are pulling all the odor out of the tent with a fan before it can escape the tent and passing the air through the filter before releasing the air into the garage? It was the only exhaust on the tent.

Based off what your saying the filter is not inside the tent . The tent should be closed and zipped up . The filter inside the tent . It should be in this order . Filter ,light sealed with glass,then the fan on top of the tent pulling the air through the filter then through the light then exhausting into the garage . I would exhaust completely out of the garage . You’ll be dumping dead air into the same space your growing in. Can it work sure . But your asking for all sorts of problems . Stifled air with little to no co2 . Remember plants take in co2 and breath out oxygen through their stomata . It’s like putting a bag over your head and poking a hole in it to breath . Lol

Y

YourStepDad

Based off of your original first post you said you’re blowing it into the filter. That is the incorrect way. You need to pull through the filter not push into it . Reason being that you’re pushing air and dirt into the filter which will lead to clogging it and stressing out your fan . The filter won’t last long and neither will the fan. The filters are designed to be pulled “scrubbed “ through . Not pushed into . Hope this helps .

916Fisherman

916Fisherman

I don't understand either? How are you "passing the air through the filter" if the filter is sealed on one side?

.. it's either on one end with air being pulled thru, or the other end with air being pushed through it as far as I can see, maybe you can explain what we're not seeing?
Air was pulled from tent and pushed through the carbon filter. My filter is oversized but I wanted it that way.

I see what you guys are saying. I may just try a couple different ways and see what works. I’d prefer not to have the filter in the tent.

916Fisherman

916Fisherman

Based off of your original first post you said you’re blowing it into the filter. That is the incorrect way. You need to pull through the filter not push into it . Reason being that you’re pushing air and dirt into the filter which will lead to clogging it and stressing out your fan . The filter won’t last long and neither will the fan. The filters are designed to be pulled “scrubbed “ through . Not pushed into . Hope this helps .
Yep, that’s the part I was missing 👍

Y

YourStepDad

Yep, that’s the part I was missing 👍
Glad we figured it out lol. Remember always pull not push . 6 inch carbon filter would be tiny and could fit perfectly into the tent . I can understand why you don’t want it inside but is the typical way they are mounted . Any more questions feel free to ask 😬

Latest posts

Top Bottom