Exhaust Fan: When to Run?

• Thread starter GooberfrupstateNY
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GooberfrupstateNY

GooberfrupstateNY

This is my 4th grow and second indoor grow. I think I'm doing fine overall as I start refining my methods. I have a question, however, regarding my exhaust fan. I kept in on last time from the start, but I'm thinking going forward it's not necessary to have it on that long so long as I keep the temp no higher than say 80 degrees Fahrenheit or so. While my last grow was fine, it was difficult keeping the humidity in the 40 - 50% range, as it was sucking it all out of the air (it's a small grow tent; I had 2 plants in the first tie, but this time I only have 1). And, after all, I think the only reason it's there is the smell and to keep the place from boiling. What do you guys think?

JSH1973

JSH1973

Supporter
In my opinion the extraction fan should be on 24/7 on at least a low speed, it does help to drag fresh air into the tent as well.
Humidity and temperature can be tricky depending on where you live I know but I would try any other way than turning off the extraction fan.

ReeferRon

ReeferRon

This is my 4th grow and second indoor grow. I think I'm doing fine overall as I start refining my methods. I have a question, however, regarding my exhaust fan. I kept in on last time from the start, but I'm thinking going forward it's not necessary to have it on that long so long as I keep the temp no higher than say 80 degrees Fahrenheit or so. While my last grow was fine, it was difficult keeping the humidity in the 40 - 50% range, as it was sucking it all out of the air (it's a small grow tent; I had 2 plants in the first tie, but this time I only have 1). And, after all, I think the only reason it's there is the smell and to keep the place from boiling. What do you guys think?
I know its kind of crazy but I keep mine running 24/7. Just because I really pack the plants in there and want to keep it dry as possible to avoid mold and or mildew. I don't really have a problem with heat, more as soon as that exhaust fan kicks off the humidity spikes. So I just keep it running to be safe. I estimate that fan cost about $50 a month to run...worth the peace of mind imo...

Goblinkiller

Goblinkiller

Many people use a fan controller. That could be helpful for you. I dont use one myself

growsince79

growsince79

I know its kind of crazy but I keep mine running 24/7. Just because I really pack the plants in there and want to keep it dry as possible to avoid mold and or mildew. I don't really have a problem with heat, more as soon as that exhaust fan kicks off the humidity spikes. So I just keep it running to be safe. I estimate that fan cost about $50 a month to run...worth the peace of mind imo...
Wtf $50 a month just for the fan? It must be huge. What's the rate for kwh?

Hatrick3

Hatrick3

Just my 2 cents but I live in New England and grow indoors in a 3x3 tent and I run my exhaust fan 24/7. My humidity rarely gets above 40% in the winter. I’ve never had any issues at all but I do pick strains that are easy to grow and don’t mind colder temps and lower humidity. I like the fresh air draw that the exhaust fan gives me. I always leave the bottom vent of the tent open for this reason.

Wh1teScorp1on

Wh1teScorp1on

Ya cloud lines are the way to go. Small light powerful get the good one for best results

ReeferRon

ReeferRon

Wtf $50 a month just for the fan? It must be huge. What's the rate for kwh?
IKR. Its a twelve inch Amazon cheapo 1060 cfm. 290 watts. I use it to exhaust two 4x8 rooms with a 6 inch split. I don't for sure know how to do the math to figure out exactly what its costing. I looked at the electric bill and it looks like my rate for kwh fluctuates between .045 and .066?

Wife says, "As soon as you started running that fan 24/7 the bill went up fifty bucks!" Plus the damn thing vibrates my whole house...lol I noticed the Cloudline 12 inch fan runs on only 139 watts and is 1604 cfm...wow...I really need to upgrade.

This cheap fan is costing me double to run for less cfm...ouchy. I think I paid Like $109 for mine. The Cloudline is $369 and needs to be a priority for me. That's what I get for being cheap. Lesson learned. You get what you pay for when it comes to fans...and most other things.

Billymgb

Billymgb

I bought a thermostat that controls a plug outlet, I set it for 80 degrees and when the temp gets up tp 80 the plug outlet energizes and it runs the fan untill we get down to 78 and shuts off. It keeps the rh in check also. Cost 30 bucks and I love it. But when my fan dies I will buy a cloudline!!!

GooberfrupstateNY

GooberfrupstateNY

IKR. Its a twelve inch Amazon cheapo 1060 cfm. 290 watts. I use it to exhaust two 4x8 rooms with a 6 inch split. I don't for sure know how to do the math to figure out exactly what its costing. I looked at the electric bill and it looks like my rate for kwh fluctuates between .045 and .066?

Wife says, "As soon as you started running that fan 24/7 the bill went up fifty bucks!" Plus the damn thing vibrates my whole house...lol I noticed the Cloudline 12 inch fan runs on only 139 watts and is 1604 cfm...wow...I really need to upgrade.

This cheap fan is costing me double to run for less cfm...ouchy. I think I paid Like $109 for mine. The Cloudline is $369 and needs to be a priority for me. That's what I get for being cheap. Lesson learned. You get what you pay for when it comes to fans...and most other things.
Actually, my tent is real small (48X24X24) and my fan is a 4" one I bought on Amazon I think for < $15. I had to add the wire myself and add a plug, but it runs to some flex and then runs to a 4" filter that cost $40. I have everything on a timer and previously it would shut everything down on an 18/6 cycle for my autos. I also run a little 40-watt fan, which seems to circulate well enough given the small space. And, like I said - not that I noticed any negative results - it did tend to get pretty dry in my tent (which caused some concern on my part) when I had the 3 lower panels open.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Now another option is buy a controller of you already have a fan.... run it off humidity ir temps... inkbird are the ones I use for all my controls other than co2. They are cheap, plug and play and surprisingly very accurate.

When using these you need to make sure that the equipment is either analog or had auto restart... meaning if you unplug it then plug is back in it resumes if function. This is because they work by cutting power.

GooberfrupstateNY

GooberfrupstateNY

I bought a thermostat that controls a plug outlet, I set it for 80 degrees and when the temp gets up tp 80 the plug outlet energizes and it runs the fan untill we get down to 78 and shuts off. It keeps the rh in check also. Cost 30 bucks and I love it. But when my fan dies I will buy a cloudline!!!
Interesting, didn't know they made such a thing.

Top Bottom