Exhausting A/c Through Charcoal Filter

• Thread starter X.rm
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
X.rm

X.rm

I would like to hear other growers opinions on this idea. I've set up a room in the basement and theres only one small window , about 18" wide. I have a 36,000 btu portable unit with a 12" exhaust also a 12" blower. Im thinking of exhausting directly into the charcoal filter. I had odor issues in the past with a smaller portable unit that was exhausting via its own hose to the street. Will the heat affect the scrubbers effectivity

ken dog

ken dog

I'm pretty sure that the exhaust does not have an odor... Because the exhaust does not mix with the inside air.

I would simply scrub the inside air

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
I would like to hear other growers opinions on this idea. I've set up a room in the basement and theres only one small window , about 18" wide. I have a 36,000 btu portable unit with a 12" exhaust also a 12" blower. Im thinking of exhausting directly into the charcoal filter. I had odor issues in the past with a smaller portable unit that was exhausting via its own hose to the street. Will the heat affect the scrubbers effectivity
I have done this.
The heat does not compromise the ability of the filter. BUT, the humidity associated with "most" dual hose AC exhausts will be an issue.
Carbon filters lose ability to filter above 65% rH.

Best of luck. Peace

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

My old 14k active air portable would make outside my building absolutely REEK of mj. Even with 2x 70# scrubbers running at max in my sealed room.

ken dog

ken dog

The solution would be to put the unit outside of the grow room.... and duct cold air into the grow room.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

The solution would be to put the unit outside of the grow room.... and duct cold air into the grow room.

This won't work on a sealed room however. You need the ac in the room.

ken dog

ken dog

Thank you... I'm not sure I understand why, but I believe you

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

For a sealed room, if you have the ac outside the room, it takes outside room air and pushes it into the sealed room, causing positive pressure and boom, your room explodes.

Ac Inside the room, the ac takes the air inside the room and cools it inside the room. But, a dual hose takes air from outside or a lung room, cools the compressor, then exhausts it outside. A single hose uses the air in the room to cool the compressor and kicks the air out the exhaust.

X.rm

X.rm

I thought about that, theres a bathroom directly next to the growroom. The only thing is im going to have to cut out a 12" circle through the wall... and im still going to deal with the heat from the exhaust. Eventhough it's not a growspace its gonna be hot as hell. Regular 12000 btu units blow out hell fire, imagine this 36000 btu unit. It's a beast, it weighs 280 lbs and is like 4 ft tall 2ft wide. Im gonna post a pic of the actual unit.

X.rm

X.rm

This won't work on a sealed room however. You need the ac in the room.
I wouldnt be able to run the duct that blows cool air into the room and leave the behemoth outside ? SMFH... i tried uploading a pic from the net of the same model but for some friggin reason its not downloading. I appreciate you guys chiming in. If anybody cares to look it up the namebrand is KIWI 26000 btu portable unit, it's like the movin cool models. Its got 2 ports on the top one in one out plus vents in the front that can be shut manually.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

No, your trying to blow air into a sealed room. What goes in must go out.

ken dog

ken dog

Thing is, if the unit is outside, and the unit sucks in air from the sealed room, then cools and blows it back into the sealed room, what's the problem?
No, your trying to blow air into a sealed room. What goes in must go out.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

If the unit is outside the sealed room, and your blowing air into a sealed room... think of it like this, a sealed room.is a baloon, the ac unit, you. You blow up the baloon, it gets bigger, as it is filling up the sealed room with no where for the air to go except inside the room. Keep blowing it up with no where for the air to escape, and boom your balloon justpopped. Same.will happen to a sealed room.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Your typical wall or window unit brigs air over the coils from outside. A split system uses the existing air in the sealed room to cool over the coils on the wall or ceiling mounted unit. A package unit has 2 registers in the sealed room one is supply one is return. Supply is taking the air from the sealed room via duct work to the unit forcing it through the cooling coils which in turn sends the cool air to the supply duct. But you can install a device on the package unit that will draw cool air from outside
When it's cooler then what the thermostat is set at. All my rooms are completely air tight for the purpose of running c02.

ken dog

ken dog

I get that... I just cannot imagine an air conditioner that takes air from the outside, cools it, and puts it inside the room.

In other words, the air comes from inside the room, gets cooled, and then goes back into the room.

The air pressure is preserved and unchanged.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

That only happens when the portable is is the sealed room. Then it cools the air already in the sealed room. Put the ac outside the sealed.room and duct the cold air into theroom, now you have positive pressure problem, as what air goes in, same must go out.

X.rm

X.rm

Sorry i hadn't come through fellas, as you can imagine I've been busy. So im considering getting a T duct, attaching my scrubber with exhaust fan in the front and attaching my A/C exhaust to the bottom part all going into a plywood that will cover the window. Eventhough im considering locating the A/C in an adjacent spare bathroom ,exhausting through that windos and running the duct that blows cool air through the wall over the grow space. Im not to happy with making a hole through the wall for stealth reasons, but the unit would cover a 4×2 area in the grow space. Wich needless to say is a big waste of productive space.

X.rm

X.rm

20160627 134208

X.rm

X.rm

That there be the beast... idk ? Again thanx 2 all for your input and much appreciated advice. PEACE!

Latest posts

Top Bottom