Experimental sativa grow

• Thread starter Hugh Ghit
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Hugh Ghit

Hugh Ghit

How many of you guys out there LOVE a good full sativa! Me too!! It is rather unfortunate the logistical problems associated with growing them indoors. They get so tall that even if you have a high enough ceiling, the lower branches get little to no light exposure without supplemental lighting.
One night I was sitting around thinking about this problem. In my first successful grow I used the strain Blueberry and grew in in a SCROG style, inside a grow tent. I assumed that I had to grow indicas because of the height issue. After watching the plants and how they interacted with the screen I became even more interested in exploring this method of growing.
I believe the next inspiration came when I was sitting outside reading some Jorge Cervantes. There was this one picture of a plant that had been bent horizontally, practically paralell with the ground. This got me thinking and then it hit me. Why not train a tall and lanky sativa around a cylindrical SCROG? As the plant grew you trained it like a coiled spring!
It seemed too good to be true, but the more I thought about it the more it made sense. One wrap around the coil would be 4-5 feet depending on the diameter of your cylinder. Wrap the plant around 2-3 times and you have a 10 foot tall plant coiled into around 3 feet!! When the plant is coiled like that the lower braches have more light exposure. Branches can be trained inside and outside the cylinder. You can also train multiple plants on the same cylinder like a DNA helix. All these ideas just came flooding to me and I decided that I had to give it a shot.
I lucked up by finding some Malawi Gold seeds at a local dispensary. I planted 6 seeds to get a good mother. They took FOREVER to show their sex. Once I had a mother I took 10 clones to make sure that I got one. I knew that if I was going to train them to be coiled tight I would need to start from when they were very young.
They say the best way to find something is to buy a replacement. In my case I had somewhat given up on my Malawi clones because the roots weren't showing. I was just going to grab some clones from another dispensary. The dispensaries in town didn't have many quality clones, and the ones they did have were usually indicas so I decided to make a trip. I came home with 1 Durban Poison and 1 Sour Diesel x Trainwreck clone. Much to my amazement when I picked up the Malawi clones to throw them on the compost pile, 2 of them had pretty white roots snaking out from under it.
So...now I've got 3 awesome strains and room for 1, maybe 2?? I decided to put the Durban and the Malawi in my 2'x4'x5' grow tent and the Sour Wreck in my closet under this extra grow light that I had. The grow tent has a 600W setup with MH or HPS bulbs, but the closet light is just a 100W HPS that I've had for years.
SO...that's where I'm at now! All 3 clones are just now touching the screen. I'm hoping that 2 clones in the tent aren’t too ambitious. If it gets overcrowded in there I may have to sacrifice one of them. I hope it doesn't come to that, but I don't really know what to expect here. I have a lot of book knowledge, but no actual experience on growing sativas.
I've tried to find info on anyone else doing anything like this. The only mention that I have seen is a reference in Mel Thomas' book "Cannabis Cultivation". It sounds like he is just talking about using the cylinder for support, not for training the plants to grow around it in a coiled fashion. If anyone else knows of someone using any variation of this technique, I'd love to hear about it. I'll post pics and updates as things progress.

Questions, comments and suggestions are welcome

Experimental sativa grow
Experimental sativa grow 2

K

kmmk

This is awesome. I don't have enough knowledge to have useful comments or suggestions but I like where this is going. I hope it works. Also, what lighting is that?

YarraSparra

YarraSparra

I see no reason why this wouldn't work. Similar grows have been done before.
Will be watching this space for your progress!

YS

drbombay

drbombay

a long time ago i did some whispy ones in grow bags with wicks, three feet up then rotated the bags to nearhorizontal 70* or so. stakes and horizontal screen. it worked but access was a nightmare. i like your idea. is the tube large enough diameter for supplemental light in the center? whispy= damn jammaican that came followed me home 1984 i think

Hugh Ghit

Hugh Ghit

Thanks everyone!
I'm not sure if my tube would fit a supplemental light, but I like that idea. My tube diameter is only 1.5 feet.
I'm running a cool tube 600W MH setup (and switch to HPS bulb later) with a 6" inline fan pulling air out of the tent. Avg. temp is 76-78 degrees and humidity in the 40's

incognito

incognito

I could not come up with a solution this clever. Nice. I probably would have topped and pinched galore. That may still work, but why take the chance of it growing into the light. Brilliant! Hey "Hugh Ghit", please let us follow your bloom. Are you going to set up a grow diary?

incognito

incognito

Thanks everyone!
I'm not sure if my tube would fit a supplemental light, but I like that idea. My tube diameter is only 1.5 feet.
I'm running a cool tube 600W MH setup (and switch to HPS bulb later) with a 6" inline fan pulling air out of the tent. Avg. temp is 76-78 degrees and humidity in the 40's

Hey Hugh Ghit, I have a sativa project for next year's outdoor. I would greatly appreciate you taking a look at my project. Your feedback is welcome. Thank you.

soserthc1

soserthc1

interesting idea and this would also be interesting for out doors in un friendly areas even with a good streching hybrid .... and the durban is a beast in i got one that i didn't top/fim and in a half gal container that is 42 in tall on day 42..... i'll jump on to see our progress
42 in dp1 42

Hugh Ghit

Hugh Ghit

Thanks incognito! I haven't done a grow diary before but I've seen it here on the site. I'll check it out and post on here once I have it set up.

another_sellout

another_sellout

Two things I hope help. First is to look up the term "espalier". It's the actual art of plant cropping. You'll enjoy it. Second is to hit up DJ Short's tips for breeding for sativa. They're here on the Farm in the Breeder's Lab. Must read for any sativa grower if you really want those nice phenotypes to express themselves. Other than that, what you're doing will work, and I hope you have a market for clones you'll be producing because you're going to be trimming those ladies back to an even height for a long time. Good luck!

420Gator

420Gator

Ive been thinking about a similar idea except Id hang the light vertically in the middle and let the plants grow outside the cage and then scrog them to the inside

420Gator

420Gator

why would he be trimming them? theyre gonna wrap around the cages, height is predetermined

incognito

incognito

Ive been thinking about a similar idea except Id hang the light vertically in the middle and let the plants grow outside the cage and then scrog them to the inside

I am in big-time agreement on the vertical light. What type? I wonder if T5 would keep the lower parts healthy. It might be difficult to cool an HID :confused:

420Gator

420Gator

Im thinking of a 1k with a circualr scrog 6ft in diameter 6ft tall. Im envisioning 2 small window units built right into the "canopy".

anyway thats all just an idea in my head but OP is doin the damn thing and I cant wait to see where this goes

incognito

incognito

1k with a circualr scrog 6ft in diameter 6ft tall

I think this would be an excellent combination to use in the screen house. I could go as tall as 8'. How many plants do you think a 6' cage can support? Off the cuff, I would try four.

Top Bottom