Expert Seeds "Sweet Zombie" under 2 Gavita Pro 1700e LED's..............

• Thread starter sshz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
Madmax

Madmax

Nope......... I'm letting it reak!
You got me doin some sealin so theres no smellin..lol..
20201029 183536
20201029 183635

sshz

sshz

Here's a plant from the room, which I'll use an example.

First, look at some of the leaf tips on some of the plants......this was the beginning of a Cal/Mag issue that had started in many of the plants.

Second, I've looked at many of the plants today. I plan on removing 4 large sun leaves initially, probably tomorrow. "X" marks the spot. More will be removed over time but these will be removed because 1) the highest sun leaves on the plant are also the largest (and oldest) and 2) the next set are blocking some growth underneath. I don't want to remove too many initially, but I'll give it a few days afterward and review it all again.

I'll put up a defoliated picture after completion.

InkedIMG 0256 LI

sshz

sshz

So I did a refresher and listened to the defoliation podcast again..............bottom line is though, it's all strain specific dictated by the environment. And it's better to go light than heavy, as you can always go back in for more if necessary.

Why do it? 1. Allows better light penetration for bigger buds and better quality
2. Allows better air flow and less humidity in the room
3. Less opportunity for bugs and pests to hide
4. Easier to trim plants in the end

When? Week 1 in flowering- remove bottom crap that won't amount to anything
- remove biggest leaves on plants, except at the VERY top of plant
- remove anything with purple stems

Week 3 in flowering- clean up what was missed, light defoliation

Week 5 in flowering- medium defoliation, remove anything blocking buds below

Week 7 in flowering- final defoliation. Remove anything that's necessary but move ahead strategically

1-2 days before harvest- remove all the sun leaves for an easier trimming process.

Final comments- if your strain puts off a lot of leaves, expect to do it more often. But, over doing it can result with less yield and slower growing plants. I'll go plant by plant tomorrow, and put a pic up when finished. Although there's as many people who don't believe in it as do, Rasta Jeff run's some very big grow operations and they defoliate every crop. If you paid attention to the Orange Gasm thread, you'd know (and have seen) the benefits. It's more work in the end, but pays off handsomely in final yield and bud quality.

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
So I did a refresher and listened to the defoliation podcast again..............bottom line is though, it's all strain specific dictated by the environment. And it's better to go light than heavy, as you can always go back in for more if necessary.

Why do it? 1. Allows better light penetration for bigger buds and better quality
2. Allows better air flow and less humidity in the room
3. Less opportunity for bugs and pests to hide
4. Easier to trim plants in the end

When? Week 1 in flowering- remove bottom crap that won't amount to anything
- remove biggest leaves on plants, except at the VERY top of plant
- remove anything with purple stems

Week 3 in flowering- clean up what was missed, light defoliation

Week 5 in flowering- medium defoliation, remove anything blocking buds below

Week 7 in flowering- final defoliation. Remove anything that's necessary but move ahead strategically

1-2 days before harvest- remove all the sun leaves for an easier trimming process.

Final comments- if your strain puts off a lot of leaves, expect to do it more often. But, over doing it can result with less yield and slower growing plants. I'll go plant by plant tomorrow, and put a pic up when finished. Although there's as many people who don't believe in it as do, Rasta Jeff run's some very big grow operations and they defoliate every crop. If you paid attention to the Orange Gasm thread, you'd know (and have seen) the benefits. It's more work in the end, but pays off handsomely in final yield and bud quality.
After my first time defoliating, I definitely see the difference in light penetration and optimal airflow within the canopy. Great info. Thanks.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Here's a plant from the room, which I'll use an example.

First, look at some of the leaf tips on some of the plants......this was the beginning of a Cal/Mag issue that had started in many of the plants.

Second, I've looked at many of the plants today. I plan on removing 4 large sun leaves initially, probably tomorrow. "X" marks the spot. More will be removed over time but these will be removed because 1) the highest sun leaves on the plant are also the largest (and oldest) and 2) the next set are blocking some growth underneath. I don't want to remove too many initially, but I'll give it a few days afterward and review it all again.

I'll put up a defoliated picture after completion.

View attachment 1049532
Fwiw I did the same thing you are suggesting.

sshz

sshz

Here's the same plant as in post #383 after a medium defoliation...........1/2 way done the room, first half took 45 minutes. Look how many more bud sites you can see now.

On most plants I've removed 6-8 of the larger sun leaves and a lot of bottom crap that was just getting wet with each watering. More defoliation will be necessary, just starting lightly as they aren't particularly large plants, as we know already.

IMG 1267

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Here's the same plant as in post #383 after a medium defoliation...........1/2 way done the room, first half took 45 minutes. Look how many more bud sites you can see now.

Most plants I've removed 6-8 of the larger sun leaves and a lot of bottom crap that was just getting wet with each watering.

View attachment 1049793
Look at all those bud sites.... Any chance you can show a horizontal view so we can see the height on them?

Madmax

Madmax

Ive actually been cleaning up the bottom growth that wont eventuate to anything so that helps airflow to the stem and easier watering.i dont get remove anything with purple stems bit.my tops have that because of the intensity of the light.id b actually cutting off the top branches

On most plants I've removed 6-8 of the larger sun leaves and a lot of bottom crap that was just getting wet with each watering. More defoliation will be necessary, just starting lightly as they aren't particularly large plants, as we know already.

View attachment 1049793
Growing like its topped..i gotta do this.if i dont im gonna have half crappy buds that get tossed..i have just done the lower portion and was going to mention they get wet and interfere with the watering..you bet me to it..im usually againt it but its a different ball game indoors.it more like quality control boutique weed lol..

Madmax

Madmax

they are like little bodybuilders..short stocky .thick stemmed and gearing themselves up to hold those big budz.oh and cant forget the growers talent 😁..im really keen to see how they go not topped. But by the looks they speak for themselves..

sshz

sshz

No need to top these obviously...... I only knew this because I grew it before and didn't top those either and they threw off plenty of branches. So, it took a couple of hours to complete, just finished cleaning up my mess. Things look good, now ready to blast off into flowering. I'll keep a keen eye on them and decide when to go back in for another topping, but definitely not before 7-10 days.

sshz

sshz

As you can see, I left plenty on there. They have along way to go and I didn't want to stunt them early on, so 6-8 sun leaves were cut off and the bottom crap. At this point,, just trying to open up the canopy and let more light in.

IMG 1269

sshz

sshz

Off the success of the last contest, let's prepare for Contest #2. The prizes for the winner have already been discussed previously in the thread. All guess must be placed in the thread by Nov. 10th, which is 2 weeks thru flowering. At the end of week 7, I'll allow a 1 time change of your number, up or down, by no more than 10 units. I'll give everyone plenty of notice as to the dates to make the change.........and some other rules:

1. Do not pick a duplicate number, a number someone has already picked. Or you'll be disqualified.

2. Whole number bets only, no 1/2's, 1/4's or decimals. Or you'' be disqualified.

3. If your guess ends up above the actual final number, you LOSE- even if you are only 1 unit away. Stay below what you think will be the final number. So, bust, you lose. Just like Blackjack.

4. Only 1 guess per person, and no changes allowed except what the contest allows. You must have been a member here at THCFarmer for 1 month to participate- no exceptions. This will help eliminate any monkey business with multiple guesses.

For some help, the last crop yielded 106 oz in the end, from 24 plants. Basically 4.41 oz per plant from a high yielding sativa. This strain in a 95% indica, but supposedly also a heavy yielder. There are only 23 plants this time, so adjust you numbers accordingly. The 24th plant, Turkish Cookies, will not count towards the contest numbers.

The new Gavita UV's will be added to the room when they become available. I'm not sure how that impacts the final weight.

MY guess is 92 oz........... don't pick that number.

My contest, my rules........and I reserve the right to change the rules, prizes, etc. at any time for any reason. And also ban anyone from the contest for any reason if you become a nuisance or aggravating in any way.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Off the success of the last contest, let's prepare for Contest #2. The prizes for the winner have already been discussed previously in the thread. All guess must be placed in the thread by Nov. 10th, which is 2 weeks thru flowering. At the end of week 7, I'll allow a 1 time change of your number, up or down, by no more than 10 units. I'll give everyone plenty of notice as to the dates to make the change.........and some other rules:

1. Do not pick a duplicate number, a number someone has already picked. Or you'll be disqualified.

2. Whole number bets only, no 1/2's, 1/4's or decimals. Or you'' be disqualified.

3. If your guess ends up above the actual final number, you LOSE- even if you are only 1 unit away. Stay below what you think will be the final number. So, bust, you lose. Just like Blackjack.

4. Only 1 guess per person, and no changes allowed except what the contest allows. You must have been a member here at THCFarmer for 1 month to participate- no exceptions. This will help eliminate any monkey business with multiple guesses.

For some help, the last crop yielded 106 oz in the end, from 24 plants. Basically 4.41 oz per plant from a high yielding sativa. This strain in a 95% indica, but supposedly also a heavy yielder. There are only 23 plants this time, so adjust you numbers accordingly. The 24th plant, Turkish Cookies, will not count towards the contest numbers.

The new Gavita UV's will be added to the room when they become available. I'm not sure how that impacts the final weight.

MY guess is 92 oz........... don't pick that number.

My contest, my rules........and I reserve the right to change the rules, prizes, etc. at any time for any reason. And also ban anyone from the contest for any reason if you become a nuisance or aggravating in any way.
Love your contests... always well thought out.

My guess is 116 😁

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom