Expert Seeds "Sweet Zombie" under 2 Gavita Pro 1700e LED's..............

• Thread starter sshz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
sshz

sshz

Well, here goes my 2nd LED grow under these lights. Sweet Zombie is a hybrid of Zombie Virus X Black Domina. It's 95% indica and a fairly early finisher with a heavy yield. I grew this in 2017 and although I was generally happy with it, I did a poor job growing it as I threw multiple large trash bags out of lower fluff that wasn't close to being finished. I still got 55 oz under two 1000 watt HPS, but I promised myself I'd grow it again someday and do a better job of it. Today is the day.

Well, this is a perfect strain to put under LED's. Although it is very leafy (from it's Black Domina heritage), my last grow (Orange Gasm) taught me a lot about defoliation and I plan on being aggressive with that again this time. I also made some minor changes in the room, i.e. 1) I put up 95% reflective plastic on the walls, 2) I removed the Big Blue Ozone device from the room and went from a 6 inch exhaust duct to an 8 inch, 3) I've added surge protectors for the lights just in case and 4) I'll be adding more perlite than I normally do while removing the extra dolomitic lime I normally add. I'll discuss the reasons while down the road.

I wanted to show a pic of the crop from last time under the HPS......... I didn't touch the plants at all during the grow, just let them do their thing. They grow a big center cola if you let it, but check out ALL THOSE LEAVES........
Image11

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

Excited for this run after you crushed it on the orange gasm. What was the nose / flavor profile on this strain last time?

sshz

sshz

Don't remember too much about it.......... I remember it did stink up the house quite a bit, so it was loud. Even though I should have gone longer with it, everyone liked it and it was nicely potent. Don't remember too much past that. I did post things about it at 4-5 different sites, so when I have time, I'll hunt them down and see if I was more specific somewhere else.

sshz

sshz

Some stuff off my Sweet Zombie thread over at RIU..........

Zombie Virus has a genetic background of BOG Medley/Sour Bubble/Rainbow #4 and an afghani. Black Domina has Northern Lights/Ortega/Hash Plant and Afghani. The Z.V. is 90% inidica while the B.D. is 95%.

This is the video that peaked my interest in finding Zombie Virus, but the breeder is out of business and there were no more seeds available. This was the next best thing I think. There is also a "Zombie Kush" out there that people get this mixed up with (that's supposedly very nice too).

Seeds have been soaking since last night, I'll do the dirt work tomorrow and put them in the mix tomorrow night or Monday when sprouted........

sshz

sshz

As I said in the other thread......... this was the first strain that came to mind that would be perfect for the LED’s. A heavy yielder, stays medium height and if you go long enough, it’s nicely potent. It’s also mostly indica which everyone wanted. The biggest drawbacks are it’s grows slow in Veg and is very leafy.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
As I said in the other thread......... this was the first strain that came to mind that would be perfect for the LED’s. A heavy yielder, stays medium height and if you go long enough, it’s nicely potent. It’s also mostly indica which everyone wanted. The biggest drawbacks are it’s grows slow in Veg and is very leafy.
How tall did your 17 grow get?

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

Definitely keeping an eye on this! I've got a few Sweet Zombie beans that are likely gonna be dropped in the next couple months.

How heavy of a feeder is it? How does it respond to topping?

sshz

sshz

I grew it once before, in 2017. It was a heavy feeder and I did make a note it needs a lot of Cal/Mag. I did not top it last time I grew it, and after giving it some thought this time, I decided not to top it as 1) strains like this that normally have 1 main large center cola do not necessarily do well with topping, 2) it needs a lot of veg time and topping it will only delay that and 3) it stays relatively short and does put off a lot of lower branches so I don't think you gain anything by topping.

I'll put up this podcast of defoliation again by Rasta Jeff from Irie Seeds. It covers the why and how very well, and was a great help during my last grow.

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

I grew it once before, in 2017. It was a heavy feeder and I did make a note it needs a lot of Cal/Mag. I did not top it last time I grew it, and after giving it some thought this time, I decided not to top it as 1) strains like this that normally have 1 main large center cola do not necessarily do well with topping, 2) it needs a lot of veg time and topping it will only delay that and 3) it stays relatively short and does put off a lot of lower branches so I don't think you gain anything by topping.

I'll put up this podcast of defoliation again by Rasta Jeff from Irie Seeds. It covers the why and how very well, and was a great help during my last grow.

Awesome, thanks! I'll listen after the fights.

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
Along for this one. The last was great. Peep my journal over @ my OG kush thread. We’d love to have ya! Good luck and happy grows.
burnz

Madmax

Madmax

Im in.interested if the leds speeds them up a little in veg..have you got pics from other grow sshz that you can compare on the sweet zombie?.

sshz

sshz

Look at the roll it up page, not the THCFarmer page for the detailed grow if you google it. The THCFarmer thread just had a few pics, not weekly pic's like the other thread.

sshz

sshz

Here's the changes I made to the room from the last grow. Since it was so successful, none of them were major- why mess up a good thing?

1. I put a white reflective (95%) plastic up on the walls to reflect some additional light back onto the crop. A cheap investment to improve the
available light.

2. I removed the Big Blue Ozone device.........it does not work well in high humidity or high temperature rooms. After removing it, I increased the exhaust duct work from a 6 inch to an 8 inch to increase the amount of air being removed.

3. New floor tarp. I change these every crop, they're cheap and it helps keep things clean crop to crop.

4. I used Pro-Mix Bx again but only added perlite this time. I did not add additional dolomitic lime, which I always do. There was some
discussion in the last thread regarding having to much Calcium in the mix increases the need for more Mg. This lies squarely on your
shoulders @Aqua Man, LOL.

5. I soaked the 24 plastic pots in HOT water in the tub for an hour or so. I had a ring of dried fertilizer around the tops of them all and this helps remove that, along with killing any eggs or insects that remain from the last crop.

6. I bought surge protectors for each light......they were only about $10 each, and are probably well worth it. You never know!

That's about it, now everyone will be up to speed.

sshz

sshz

These little levelers are a life saver when dealing with these big ass lights......... I just bought a pack of 8 more of them. Rather than measuring all the sides numerous times to level it out, I just put them sitting on top of the light on 4 sides, and adjust as necessary. They're cheap on Amazon or Ebay.

IMG 0231

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom