Extreme heat causing males

• Thread starter BzDave
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BzDave

BzDave

Will exposure to extreme heat convert seeds to males even if they are feminized? I have nine plants, three of them were not feminized. All were accidentally exposed to extreme heat very young. I am worried I may have converted them all to males 😭 should I be worried? One is already showing signs of being a male. (Pic attached) but it may be one of the three I found in a bag. The other six I have growing we’re defiinitely feminized. Can they be changed to males?

Extreme heat causing males
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
If I recall heat stress has been shown to reduce ethylene production in some plant varieties, but increase it in others... so in theory I could see it potentially reversing the sex of feminized seeds if it was hot enough to mess with the plants hormones. Also feminized seeds dont exactly come with a 100% female guarantee, sometimes, rarely you'll get a male.

But if you had 3 reg and 6 fems, and dont know which are which, there is no sense being paranoid until they all preflower. I bet they will be fine.

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

Also feminized seeds dont exactly come with a 100% female guarantee, sometimes, rarely you'll get a male.
If they are produced competently by a competent breeder, there should never be a male. The method used, stress induced hermaphrodism, gives the seeds two X chromosomes. I have used fem seeds for a long time, never had a male. I use Nirvana Seeds' stuff, mostly.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

If they are produced competently by a competent breeder, there should never be a male. The method used, stress induced hermaphrodism, gives the seeds two X chromosomes. I have used fem seeds for a long time, never had a male. I use Nirvana Seeds' stuff, mostly.
I'm looking for a new Gorilla Glue, would you recommend Nirvana's original glue?

Kingjoshh

Kingjoshh

Will exposure to extreme heat convert seeds to males even if they are feminized? I have nine plants, three of them were not feminized. All were accidentally exposed to extreme heat very young. I am worried I may have converted them all to males 😭 should I be worried? One is already showing signs of being a male. (Pic attached) but it may be one of the three I found in a bag. The other six I have growing we’re defiinitely feminized. Can they be changed to males?
My temps hit 100 a couple times and there still female so no.

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

I'm looking for a new Gorilla Glue, would you recommend Nirvana's original glue?
I grew it last year, and it was fabulous. Heavy yielder, pretty early finish, sativa high. Grows big, it needs a lot of room. My friends and I estimate the THC % at 20-22%, based on comparison to various stuff from the stores that is labeled. Nothing special done to it. Plenty of pics around the 12th and 13th page in the second link in my sig.

Last edited:
roach

roach

No, you bought seeds from a bad seedmaker (I wont use the term breeder) can we please have the name so we know who to avoid? if you get pure males it means that they made multible different seedbatches at the same time

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

I grew it last year, and it was fabulous. Heavy yielder, pretty early finish, sativa high.
No, you bought seeds from a bad seedmaker (I wont use the term breeder) can we please have the name so we know who to avoid? if you get pure males it means that they made multible different seedbatches at the same time
My friend, that's not true. In any batch of seeds, whether you get a male out of a given seed is 50-50. If you flip a coin, which is 50-50 also, it wouldn't amze you if four heads came up in a row. Rare, but it happens. The odds are 1 in 32.

There is nothing wrong that a breeder, incompetent or otherwise, can do do to make seeds all male.

[edit] IF, a breeder could make a male plant hemie into a female, and breed that against itself, that could make all makes. I modestly submit no-one is doing that

BigCube

BigCube

From what I hear, extreme stress can cause hermaphrodites. But I've never heard of a plant switching all the way over to a Male from female.

Depending on where your seeds came from, they might not have been feminized correctly.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I grew it last year, and it was fabulous. Heavy yielder, pretty early finish, sativa high. Grows big, it needs a lot of room. My friends and I estimate the THC % at 20-22%, based on comparison to various stuff from the stores that is labeled. Nothing special done to it. Plenty of pics around the 12th and 13th page in the second link in my sig.
I'm growing it indoors so I'm going to keep looking for one that's shorter, the height issue is why I want to change the Gorilla Glue I'm growing now, plus I've been cloning it for a while and it's getting a little spindly on top of stretchy, thanks for the info!

roach

roach

My friend, that's not true. In any batch of seeds, whether you get a male out of a given seed is 50-50. If you flip a coin, which is 50-50 also, it wouldn't amze you if four heads came up in a row. Rare, but it happens. The odds are 1 in 32.

There is nothing wrong that a breeder, incompetent or otherwise, can do do to make seeds all male.

[edit] IF, a breeder could make a male plant hemie into a female, and breed that against itself, that could make all makes. I modestly submit no-one is doing that

If you get a pure male from a pack of feminized seeds, the seedmaker fucked up and got some regular pollen mixed in

BzDave

BzDave

Three of the seeds were random from bags. Very the male that showed up was most likely one of those three, based on the responses

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Thanks I ordered it! How did you like their white rhino? Also considering the raspberry cough this winter, have you run that and do you have any opinions on the finished product?

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

Thanks I ordered it! How did you like their white rhino? Also considering the raspberry cough this winter, have you run that and do you have any opinions on the finished product?
Haven't done those. Have done the AK48, which produced an indica high, the white widow and the Original Glue. The OG is my favorite, for the high and the fast maturation.

Top Bottom