Ez cloner day 10 no roots

• Thread starter Buttercup726
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Buttercup726

Buttercup726

Tried this in another forum. Got no responses.

Some background

ez cloner
Distilled water ph 5.9-6.1
Clonex gel
Clonex solution (weakest rate)
Clear res
Temps 70s
Lux led cloner lights. Two strips

I was advised after day 2 that I shouldn’t have you used distilled water. I figure it was a better alternative compared to tap and spring water. I guess not. Distilled water is stripped of all minerals. I was able to stabilize the water ph to around 6.0.

Its now day 8 and no sign of roots. No nubs no nothing. All cuts are standing tall and green.

Not sure if I should be patient or switch out to the water.

Anyone have experience using distilled water in an ez cloner?

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I have never used an EZ cloner, but people use RO water which is also stripped of all nutrients, so I don't think that is the problem, and I have used distilled water for seedlings and clones with no issues.

Do you have the tip of the stem in the water with air stones? Maybe use a stronger IBA solution/gel/powder. They make IBA-K which is made to dissolve in water so you can use that in the cloner solution.

Make sure the lights are very weak, you don't want photosynthesis to happen because it will take away from root growth, I believe, so the less light the better.

Pics might help us help you.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Tried this in another forum. Got no responses.

Some background

ez cloner
Distilled water ph 5.9-6.1
Clonex gel
Clonex solution (weakest rate)
Clear res
Temps 70s
Lux led cloner lights. Two strips

I was advised after day 2 that I shouldn’t have you used distilled water. I figure it was a better alternative compared to tap and spring water. I guess not. Distilled water is stripped of all minerals. I was able to stabilize the water ph to around 6.0.

Its now day 8 and no sign of roots. No nubs no nothing. All cuts are standing tall and green.

Not sure if I should be patient or switch out to the water.

Anyone have experience using distilled water in an ez cloner?
You can use distilled water you just need to add back a tiny bit of nutrients.

Do the stems have a thin film of slime on them?

This is an aeroponic type cloner so you don't need cool temps and you will have much faster rooting at temperatures around 80f (air temps) 74f (water temps)

You will either need to add a beneficial bacteria, h2o2 every 2 days or change the water every 3 days.

One really important factor in cloning is light and this is where most go wrong. They need very very little light (intensity wise) the harder you drive a plant to photosynthesize the longer your going to wait for roots. Even ambient lighting in a room is enough. You simply want to prevent them from flowering.

If you ask me that's likely the issue. If you see your clones yellowing then you have to much light.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I have never used an EZ cloner, but people use RO water which is also stripped of all nutrients, so I don't think that is the problem, and I have used distilled water for seedlings and clones with no issues.

Do you have the tip of the stem in the water with air stones? Maybe use a stronger IBA solution/gel/powder. They make IBA-K which is made to dissolve in water so you can use that in the cloner solution.

Make sure the lights are very weak, you don't want photosynthesis to happen because it will take away from root growth, I believe, so the less light the better.

Pics might help us help you.
Bang on brother... I think he is already adding iba.

Buttercup726

Buttercup726

This is an aeroponic type cloner so you don't need cool temps and you will have much faster rooting at temperatures around 80f (air temps) 74f (water temps)

You will either need to add a beneficial bacteria, h2o2 every 2 days or change the water every 3 days.

One really important factor in cloning is light and this is where most go wrong. They need very very little light (intensity wise) the harder you drive a plant to photosynthesize the longer your going to wait for roots. Even ambient lighting in a room is enough. You simply want to prevent them from flowering.

If you ask me that's likely the issue. If you see your clones yellowing then you have to much light.
Appreciate the responses!

I added clonex solution to add back some nutrients in the distilled water
yes I add clear res every 5 to combat the bad bacteria. They are super green and standing strong.

when I pop one open, no nubs or roots. There does appear to be thin film on the stalk where I applied a rooting gel.

is the thin film a good sign?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yea, he said he is using the weakest solution, do you think it just needs to be stronger? I know Hormex makes multiple IBA powders, from 0.1% up to 1.6%. They say 0.8% (#8) is good for cannabis sativa, so if he is using a weak solution, that might be one of the main issues, I guess.
I think it's the light mostly and prob benefit from a touch warmer.. iba helps speed it up but even at 8 days without it should prob see nubs.

But pics will help.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Appreciate the responses!

I added clonex solution to add back some nutrients in the distilled water
yes I add clear res every 5 to combat the bad bacteria. They are super green and standing strong.

when I pop one open, no nubs or roots. There does appear to be thin film on the stalk where I applied a rooting gel.

is the thin film a good sign?
Usually bacteria. If using IBA I'd prob add to the water... not a good sign, the bacteria will be a thin clear film they are not harmful to the plant itself but rather prevent o2 to that area for root formation... thats why an aerocloner works so well great exposure to high o2. Give em a wipe and maybe bump up the clear rez a bit or atleast more often like 3 days.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Just wanted to point out as @LexLuthor said RO is not the issue. Plants will use stored nutrients in the leaves until they get some root nubs then you want a very tiny amount of nutrients as they will start to pull some from the water. For that reason it's not a bad idea to add just at the start bit it's not going to prevent roots as you were told elsewhere

Buttercup726

Buttercup726

Here some pics

ph started 5.8. It’s risen to 6.1

I trimmed the leaves originally and a lot have grown back.

distilled water took some time to balance out the ph

4D3A5D7A 3017 472C 9404 BB6DE8B2AC1A
692E198E 211E 4CC8 B8F9 129EDAFB983B
564DF9A0 5F91 43DA 809C 5BB29EFECFBF
4A133D33 C72D 4079 B6AA A4E861222DDC
70FB16BF 199B 4DE0 ABBA 6973B6A4F0CB
Buttercup726

Buttercup726

Light stress written all over those... back it up like 4 feet. See how the leaves are cupping that's them trying to reduce light capture. They should be flat
Thanks aqua man. I will raise them up.
Do you think this will resolve the problem. Should I start from scratch

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Thanks aqua man. I will raise them up.
Do you think this will resolve the problem. Should I start from scratch
I mean it's always best to start with as healthy of clones as possible but that's up to you. They should root just may take a little to get em back to healthy.

Buttercup726

Buttercup726

Do you have a dome for the cloner? RH should be high to reduce transpiration which will help the clones retain moisture.
No dome. I was advised with the ez cloner not use one. Humidity seems good.

just perplexed. All green. Standing up. Ten days no roots

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

No dome. I was advised with the ez cloner not use one. Humidity seems good.

just perplexed. All green. Standing up. Ten days no roots

When you say humidity is good, do you have a hygrometer right by the clones that measures the RH?

Buttercup726

Buttercup726

When you say humidity is good, do you have a hygrometer right by the clones that measures the RH?
Just by feel. It feels humid. Might be time to invest in one. The more humidity the better right? It feels humid in the tent but I don’t know the exact RH

3 balls

3 balls

What would you say the high end of water temp you could get away with is? I dont know if I will get away with running my turbokloner over the summer. I have a on/off timer set for 30 seconds each and will probably rotate frozen bottled water out when I remember 😖

Latest posts

Top Bottom