Fabric Pot inside larger fabric pot???

• Thread starter SwoleGrow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SwoleGrow

SwoleGrow

Thinking out loud and all opinions or facts are welcome.

Facts: Roots will grow out of the fabric pots.

Has anyone tried transplanting the whole fabric pot to a larger fabric pot and if so, how did it work out?

Wh1teScorp1on

Wh1teScorp1on

Yep had to use straight pruner to cut down one seam. Then popped into larger pot. Trick is to do it before rootbound. Otherwise you won’t get much of a bigger rootball

SwoleGrow

SwoleGrow

Yep had to use straight pruner to cut down one seam. Then popped into larger pot. Trick is to do it before rootbound. Otherwise you won’t get much of a bigger rootball
Did you check the root ball after harvest and did it expand a good bit? What size fabric pots were you using?

Wh1teScorp1on

Wh1teScorp1on

Nope I waited too long it went into 5 Gal but it was too root bound. You need to repot before the root ball is established. Fabric bags are designed to turn roots back on themselves. To have a healthy plant use the proper size bag. 3-5 Gal 👍

Anthem

Anthem

Has anyone tried transplanting the whole fabric pot to a larger fabric pot and if so, how did it work out?
Why would you consider doing this? I am confused about what the advantage might be.

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Grow for life🌱
Supporter
Agree. I cut the bag down the seam. Massage if necessary. Will tear roots when removing if left to grow too long.

Wh1teScorp1on

Wh1teScorp1on

If it’s totally root bound.... most likely. You can maybe cut it open without damage but getting it to root much more in a timely fashion wouldn’t be easy. If you could open up the rootball to spread out the root ends may be but the stress you’d cause to the plants wouldn’t be beneficial and could even cause it to germ. If you do try it I’d recommend a mycorrhizal booster of some sort right on the roots before transplant

SwoleGrow

SwoleGrow

Why would you consider doing this? I am confused about what the advantage might be.
Fabric pots outdoors and the roots are growing out of the pots and into the soil like the pot aren’t even there. Why bother destroying all those roots, I know a lot of them will still be hanging when I pick them up. I think when I bury the pot inside a larger one they’ll start growing out of the sides also.

SwoleGrow

SwoleGrow

If it’s totally root bound.... most likely. You can maybe cut it open without damage but getting it to root much more in a timely fashion wouldn’t be easy. If you could open up the rootball to spread out the root ends may be but the stress you’d cause to the plants wouldn’t be beneficial and could even cause it to germ. If you do try it I’d recommend a mycorrhizal booster of some sort right on the roots before transplant
Great white for the win.

Wh1teScorp1on

Wh1teScorp1on

I’ve done 2,5,10 Gal and unless you transplant early you won’t use all that soil unless growing outdoors or extended veg

SwoleGrow

SwoleGrow

I’ve done 2,5,10 Gal and unless you transplant early you won’t use all that soil unless growing outdoors or extended veg
Agreed. Did 2-20gal outdoor last year and the whole grow was perfect. Only had to top dress once and the top dressing was the remaining supersoil mix. Was great until the bud rot a month before harvest. Lost a lot but made it. Indoor in the 10gals they didn’t nearly fill those pots up. Partly because of p&k deficiencies but I eventually got those corrected, even without the problems I don’t think they would’ve filled them up so I’m thinking long and hard about going from the 3gal I’m in now to 5’s then 7’s or just staying at 5’s.

RicinBeans

RicinBeans

I was wondering if you ever tried this out and if so, how it went? I'm planning to do an all cloth container grow around early December, and while I was thinking I'd just rip the bag off when repotting in the next one, I'm intrigued by the idea of just dropping the entire container into a larger one, and wondering if anyone has had any indoor/tent success with it.

Top Bottom