Fabric Pots and Watering/Light Issues

• Thread starter NDfarmboy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

NDfarmboy

So, I have a variation on the themes here. I have a smallish grow room (4'X4'X7') and I like to grow at least two plants at a time. So, I prefer to used fabric pots (3 gal) for air pruning, etc. but I think I may be underwatering as I am getting some large leaves mid-plant beginning to yellow. Plants are now about 7-8 weeks old in flowering room and I've been watering 1/2 gallon every other day. Give nutrients every 4-5 days. I think I have to up the watering?
Also, could have a bit of a light issue? The plants are so dense the bottom areas get very little light (using 400watt HPS). I've had many good grows over the past many years, but now running into these potential hiccups. Would love to know what the gang thinks.

chuck88

chuck88

What is the medium ?

What is the fertilizer ?

When I was growing in 3 gallon fabric pots with ProMix HP I was watering a gallon ~every three days using either Mega Crop one part or GH MaxiSeries. I like to see some run off...

Feed every watering.

Yellowing on the Bottom leaves, up the feed by .5g/gallon.

Everytime I went over 1000 ppm I had issues.

I'm using a 600w MH/HPS but I still lollipop the bottom third and cut off anything that looks like it won't make it close to the top.

Cheers

Edit > water when the pots feel "light", not on your schedule...

ArtfulCodger

ArtfulCodger

So, I have a variation on the themes here. I have a smallish grow room (4'X4'X7') and I like to grow at least two plants at a time. So, I prefer to used fabric pots (3 gal) for air pruning, etc. but I think I may be underwatering as I am getting some large leaves mid-plant beginning to yellow. Plants are now about 7-8 weeks old in flowering room and I've been watering 1/2 gallon every other day. Give nutrients every 4-5 days. I think I have to up the watering?
Also, could have a bit of a light issue? The plants are so dense the bottom areas get very little light (using 400watt HPS). I've had many good grows over the past many years, but now running into these potential hiccups. Would love to know what the gang thinks.
My guess will depend on your media. If you're in soil, I suspect you're over-watered, meaning you're watering too often. In something like Happy Frog or Ocean Forest (for example), I'll water to about 10% runoff, only when the pots are light. How often that is will depend on the relationship between the plant size and the pot size.

BB22

BB22

I’m a new grower.

Something that helped me understand about watering.

Overwatering means watering too often.

It’s important to let the fabric pots and the medium dry out all the way before you water again.

You have a look at the plant to see if it’s wilting or showing other signs of wanting water.

Good luck.

chuck88

chuck88

I’m a new grower.

Something that helped me understand about watering.

Overwatering means watering too often.

It’s important to let the fabric pots and the medium dry out all the way before you water again.

You have a look at the plant to see if it’s wilting or showing other signs of wanting water.

Good luck.
Wilting is too late.

You will get a feel for lifting the pot to judge weight, if in doubt stick a wood skewer in the bag and leave it for a couple of minutes.

If the bottom two inches or so looks moist, it's time to water.

Cheers

N

NDfarmboy

Thanks folks. The growing medium in Ocean Forest by Fox Farms. Fertilizer is Bills Perfect Fertilizer from Spray-N-Grow. I also add a little CaMg with every other fertilizing. I haven't had any run off at all with current watering so going to increase amount & try not to overwater. I think plants are drinking more than I am giving. Also, I'm growing some Blue Cheese (more of a short, squat plant) and a mystery seed (came as a bonus with some seeds I ordered - that plant is taller and more lanky). Probably shouldn't do that, but . . . .. .. . .
Think I should supplement the lighting? Maybe I send a photo tomorrow.

BurntEnds

BurntEnds

Supporter
Wilting is too late.

You will get a feel for lifting the pot to judge weight, if in doubt stick a wood skewer in the bag and leave it for a couple of minutes.

If the bottom two inches or so looks moist, it's time to water.

Cheers
This is wisdom. What I do is fill my fabric pots up with soil before dropping the seed in and actually weight those pots one to two weeks later after its been sitting under my light and I feel the weight as well. Once I drop a sprout in the pot and fully saturate the pot I weigh it and lift it again.

After you have an idea of an unsaturated pot versus a fully saturated pot, it's really hard at least in my experience to not know when the soil is too dry.

GoldenDragondnw

GoldenDragondnw

Supporter
They really do feel light as Styrofoam when they are dry. Lift them wet lift them dry. You'll start to tell the difference then. I also use a moisture meter that has a good wet dry meter on it. Good luck and happy growing! 👍

Top Bottom