Fabric Pots On Dirt, Rocks, Flat Surface

• Thread starter Mifarmer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mifarmer

Mifarmer

Going to try some fabric pots this year. I have a fairly large garden right behind the house. Have always planted in ground with huge yields but have always noticed early yellowing of leaves, and at harvest a lot of branches have holes like straws. Anyways, can I place fabric pots directly on soil, a flat surface like a piece of wood, or gravel?

Also watched video of some dude covering the top of soil in a fabric bag with clay pellets. He never explained benefit. Are there any. Love trying new stuff. If anyone has some crazy grow techniques such a s containers used, companion plants, stopping JaPANESE BEETLES etc.. let me know please. Peace!

Heywood

Heywood

I use fabric pots indoors with them being in plastic saucers... so in my case I need to elevate them so they are not sitting in constant wetness. Cannabis likes to go to nearly dry cycles between waterings.

But in your case being outdoors, I think either sitting on soil or gravel would be fine. That will provide drainage. I don't think I would put them on a big ol slab of wood though. But that is just me.

For dealing with pests in general, I use SNS209 throughout the grow and as directed on the bottle. It provides the plant with some Rosemary extracts which the plant then uptakes in fractional amounts, but apparently Rosemary is not very tasty to the critters that like to bite into leaves/stems and makes them go elsewhere. Not sure how effective it is on Japanese beetles, though.

Chem77

Chem77

You can put them on the ground, the roots will bust through into the ground. I just broke it loose every once in awhile.
I’ll spray captain jacks insecticide in the summer before any signs of flowering, when the beetles show up.

25 gallon air pot
D05A70B8 4C25 4200 BE25 01691E5EC217

Mifarmer

Mifarmer

You can put them on the ground, the roots will bust through into the ground. I just broke it loose every once in awhile.
I’ll spray captain jacks insecticide in the summer before any signs of flowering, when the beetles show up.

25 gallon air pot
View attachment 1244215
When the roots grow through, do you have to break them off or can you just let them go?

Chem77

Chem77

When the roots grow through, do you have to break them off or can you just let them go?
You could let them go but it makes it harder to tell if the pot needs water. You don’t want the pot to dry out and getting moisture from the ground, if that makes sense. I like my pots to dry out before I water, and roots in the ground can fool you.

Mifarmer

Mifarmer

You could let them go but it makes it harder to tell if the pot needs water. You don’t want the pot to dry out and getting moisture from the ground, if that makes sense. I like my pots to dry out before I water, and roots in the ground can fool you.
Thanks. Makes sense.

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
I use fabric pots indoors with them being in plastic saucers... so in my case I need to elevate them so they are not sitting in constant wetness. Cannabis likes to go to nearly dry cycles between waterings.

But in your case being outdoors, I think either sitting on soil or gravel would be fine. That will provide drainage. I don't think I would put them on a big ol slab of wood though. But that is just me.

For dealing with pests in general, I use SNS209 throughout the grow and as directed on the bottle. It provides the plant with some Rosemary extracts which the plant then uptakes in fractional amounts, but apparently Rosemary is not very tasty to the critters that like to bite into leaves/stems and makes them go elsewhere. Not sure how effective it is on Japanese beetles, though.
I have my fabric pots on 1 foot tall plant stands from family dollar ($3 each lol) then I have my plastic saucers on the ground, my 5 gallon posts overhang the plant stands a bit but I just center them on it, when I water the runoff just drips down into the tray then I clean up the excess in the trey about an hour or 2 later

Top Bottom