Fabric pots why do you need lined or not?

• Thread starter Natep
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Natep

Natep

I’ve been reading lots of post about fabric pots. I believe there is a pretty good misunderstanding out there. Maybe by me. From what I understand if you have a synthetic grow. As in you are using bottled nutrients. You need to use a fabric pot that is not lined. If it is an organic grow the fabric pots need to be lined. So what is the real deal here? I would like to understand better from both the organic and synthetic guys on here.

Galgrows

Galgrows

I’ve been reading lots of post about fabric pots. I believe there is a pretty good misunderstanding out there. Maybe by me. From what I understand if you have a synthetic grow. As in you are using bottled nutrients. You need to use a fabric pot that is not lined. If it is an organic grow the fabric pots need to be lined. So what is the real deal here? I would like to understand better from both the organic and synthetic guys on here.
I've never heard of this. Rather pointless to use a liner in a fabric pot in my view. I guess it's whatever you want to believe in the internet garbage barrel.

Natep

Natep

I've never heard of this. Rather pointless to use a liner in a fabric pot in my view. I guess it's whatever you want to believe in the internet garbage barrel.
I hear what you are saying but why do the real fabric pots have it? Like a grassroots living soil bag. They say to use unlined in humid environment and lined in dry environments. I set my grow up the build a soil way. It living organic and I use the lined bags, because they said to. But I don’t really know why.

Natep

Natep

i use fabrics pots im organic and never lined mine with anything use throw in the washer reuse
I feel like we are not on the same page. When I say organic grow. I mean living organic soil. No synthetic nutrients reuse your soil for years on end. No washing bags. When I make my soil it is in there for years.

Choppr

Choppr

Defeats the purpose!, fabric and weaved pots are made for breathability and air root pruning, if you lined with a plastic bag why not use a plastic pot!
I must be mis-understanding? this doesn't make sense to me at all! I love fabric and weaved, allows a lot of Oxygen into the coco media (by capillary action) as it dries...
and it dries all around the edges of the pot equally and fast... perfect for Coco/#4 perlite fast draining fast drying.

Natep

Natep

No mistake. And if you look the lining ends a couple inches from bottom. From what I’ve been told is in an organic grow you need to keep the microbes alive. When the soil drys out the microbes die back. This is why I’m an organic grow you never let your pots dry out.

24A980CF 4212 4F04 A5AD 71B47BC4F297
Natep

Natep

Defeats the purpose!, fabric and weaved pots are made for breathability and air root pruning, if you lined with a plastic bag why not use a plastic pot!
I must be mis-understanding? this doesn't make sense to me at all! I love fabric and weaved, allows a lot of Oxygen into the coco media (by capillary action) as it dries...
and it dries all around the edges of the pot equally and fast... perfect for Coco/#4 perlite fast draining fast drying.
I think this is 100% true in synthetic nutrients

Choppr

Choppr

Yeah, not really buying some of it, microbes are living organisms they will move around and stay where the moisture and food source is, I run organic living systems in DWC, and its a "War of the Microbes" in the water, I use specific microbes (myco-assassins) to fight off bad microbes pythium, botrytis, and phytophthora, they are smart and if the bad out-colonize the good I end up with root rot....

In Coco you dont ever get below 40% dry or you will cause nutrients to concentrate in the "perch" and becomes toxic to your Plants. (see "perched water table" for more understanding)

The Pots you are showing are a cheap (probably chinese) copy of Dr. Whitcombs Root Trapper II Pots - (lined to hold water longer) look up Root Maker/Root Trapper, Doc Whitcomb is the Boss!! Some of the Best Pots you can buy! Buy from the Original (American Made)

I do get where your coming from... Right On Nate!

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
@Natep - I had not heard of lined fabric pots, but I think when using soil that's in the pot for years, it might be necessary to line the pots with something made from a non-biodegradable substance. That's assuming the fabric was made from an organic material, like hemp, which could degrade over time.

Also... There's a difference between living soil and organic growing, even though both are organic in nature. They're not the same thing.

Natep

Natep

@Natep - I had not heard of lined fabric pots, but I think when using soil that's in the pot for years, it might be necessary to line the pots with something made from a non-biodegradable substance. That's assuming the fabric was made from an organic material, like hemp, which could degrade over time.

Also... There's a difference between living soil and organic growing, even though both are organic in nature. They're not the same thing.
The lined pots are what build a soil is recommending. And yes there are several different forms of organic living soil. I try and stay on the knf side of it.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
The microbes manage to stay alive in the ground, don’t they? But I think you should follow directions if that’s what they tell you! A lot of ways to skin a cat!

Natep

Natep

The microbes manage to stay alive in the ground, don’t they? But I think you should follow directions if that’s what they tell you! A lot of ways to skin a cat!
I’m not just try’s g to keep them alive. I’m trying to make them thrive.

Top Bottom